Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
le_el wrote:
Now I have to ask a mod to change this thread to the "variants" section.

You can post it again there and delete this one here, I guess ...

I am looking forward to get this game in my hands and try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend playing it, before re-writing the rules. Doesn't mean your suggestions wouldn't work, but you will be more informed. Worst case, you learn the game is right, so you don't have to change anything. Best case, you'll feel great about yourself for being right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Servando Carballar
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi!

I want to comment a little about your "luck" unestability thoughs.
We test played the game without "random" numbers (only action cards value resolutions), and, actually, it worked quite well. We will put it in the web page as a perfect valid "alternative" rule: In case of tie you MUST play another round of action cards and go on... The first to blink is out!.

But you need to know that the "special actions" are only a little fraction of the game, and less important than the Control Resolution phase itself, which is randomless. The "special Actions" part of the game is an indulgence I took from my "Roleplaying" days. Simply put: I liked my D100 results against hordes of Nyarlathothep cultist and AGHHH a 1!!!. So you can play a simpler version of the game WITHOUT Special Actions at all if you want a quickly simpler version of the game... and it works too...

Another note: In the 150 or so cards with random numbers there is only 3 "Zeros" and 3 "eigths" ( And no sevens) so the odds are more or less like a "Die roll" with a twist.(Frakk the mathematics)...

But, over all, please enjoy the game and please make "In house" rules when you feel it will accomodate your tastes. But i also recommend you that you play the games as it was conceived and, after a trying Change what you REALLY know you disliked.

And...let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Biovac wrote:

Another note: In the 150 or so cards with random numbers there is only 3 "Zeros" and 3 "eigths" ( And no sevens) so the odds are more or less like a "Die roll" with a twist.(Frakk the mathematics)...

Thanks for the info Servando. That would be interesting to see the number spread. Now that I know there's an uneven distribution of numbers it might work much better. There's a slim chance you will have a 0 or 8 come up. And 7 doesn't exist so most numbers will be between 1-6. If the middle numbers are far greater then the low and high numbers then that evens stuff out but makes a few exciting "oh wow, got an 8" moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marta Cervera
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After having played without any randomness, I prefer the game with it. It is more fun, and in the end, this is the most important thing for me.

Quote:
In the 150 or so cards with random numbers there is only 3 "Zeros" and 3 "eigths" ( And no sevens) so the odds are more or less like a "Die roll" with a twist.(Frakk the mathematics)...

And those cards also appear usually the opposite as you want them: as opportunities when you want them as random cards (but when you are waiting for a concrete opportunity, a special character or Threat, it comes as random card)... And the opportunity deck is HUGE...

About the problem for a player who receive more threats that others, I agree with you that he loses more action cards; but usually the player who receives more attacks is the one with better points... Sometimes it is not a bad thing to try to control less zones (so you dont spend so many resources).

About the Assasins being targets to trials, of course, ALL Assassins are Criminals (and so, targets to trials) laugh

About what Servando says of the Special Actions... I must say that it is not so easy to be able to perform the special action. Personally I give more importance to gaining control of the zone (and the opportunity in it), so I send the characters who have more attack/ negotiation, even if they dont have the special icon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, after playing, the random card thing sucks. I'm not against randomness in a game, but the bonus for sending specific agents and gaining control of the zone is the bonus action. And its not a small part of the game at all. In our playing, the third round victory condition was the corporation-threat. The ability to seduce or prosecute the player's employees was our only real chance to keep the last place player from winning the game.

The other way to look at it - if you win control of a zone and you are willing to burn an action card to get the bonus of the zone, you should have a little more control.

Lastly, things like the elite bonus mean little if there is a random card with variance like there is.

If the action card management is to mean anything, I can't see playing with the random "die" roll being added in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.