Popular Tags: [View All]
Murray Warwick Ball
New Zealand
Napier
North Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hiya War Peeps,

Firstly, thanks in advance to all those who gave a little of their time to answer these Memoir44 related queries. These all occurred to me while playing the Kasserine Pass scenario. Brilliant Scenario!!!!

By the way – if anyone is having problems with planes – I highly recommend Kasserine Pass – I’ve had great success with the P40 with both Strafing and Ground Interdiction.

Some Q’s…

Q1) Kasserine Pass specific – Would I be correct in assuming that because the angled bridges (the two in the middle) have only one possible hex to move onto on each side. I.e. you could not retreat onto the bridge nor could you move directly from the bridge onto the hills.

Q2) Can you retreat up a steep hill? – Or maybe only when you have had 2 flags rolled against you.

Q3) when ordering planes should you (Air Check 1st) then move them and roll for strafes etc before moving your other units?

Q4) Can you do an Armor Overrun up a Steep (2 movements) hill?

Q5) if doing an Armor Overrun after playing an Armor Assault card, do you still roll 4 dice?

Q6) when playing an Artillery Bombard card – does that mean that all your Artillery get to fire twice? ? If that’s the case then I’ve been playing this card wrong since first purchasing the base set many years ago… and I can’t wait to get this card next time!

That’s pretty much it – thanks to all of you in the M44 community – I’m still loving this game. I sort of feel like the member of a very select and enlightened few.

In some ways M44 is perfect – including in the way that it’s paced. I find that just about the time that I’m thinking that it’s all a little too random or unrealistic, then its game over and inevitably we’re both saying what fun it was – I would be in my own private little hell if I was forced to have a four hour session of Risk at this stage in my gaming career.

A wee note : My current opponent is relatively new to the game and he’s having a little difficulty getting his head around retreating. He believes there is a discrepancy wherein you retreat the whole unit (up to 4 figures) when you can – but when you have nowhere to move to then you only take away the equal number of figures to the number of flags that were rolled. I have taught maybe half a dozen people M44 but this is the first time I’ve come across this. Has anyone else experienced this?

Another wee note – There seems to be a rare mistake on the card for Sandbags? – It does not mention any dice penalty!

Yours Geekily,

Murray (kiwigamer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
KiwiGamer wrote:
Some Q’s…

Q1) Kasserine Pass specific – Would I be correct in assuming that because the angled bridges (the two in the middle) have only one possible hex to move onto on each side. I.e. you could not retreat onto the bridge nor could you move directly from the bridge onto the hills.

The orientation of the bridges do not matter. They (almost) always open to 4 hexes (not including the impassable river). So you either have 1/3 hexes or 2/2 hexes open on each side of the river. Now, the terrain might affect this - such as impassable mountains or a river bend - but not in this specific scenario.

Quote:
Q2) Can you retreat up a steep hill? – Or maybe only when you have had 2 flags rolled against you.

Yes. Multi-move hexes do not count for retreating. So 1-flag would send you up the steep hill.

Quote:
Q3) when ordering planes should you (Air Check 1st) then move them and roll for strafes etc before moving your other units?

Air check happens during the Order phase but before Moving units. So if you are ordering other units, you have to order them first then roll the dice.

Quote:
Q4) Can you do an Armor Overrun up a Steep (2 movements) hill?

Yes. Again, terrain restriction are usually only valid on the movement phase and not during battle (battle moves are taking ground, armor overrun, and retreat). There are some exceptions but this is not one of them.

Quote:
Q5) if doing an Armor Overrun after playing an Armor Assault card, do you still roll 4 dice?

This has gone back and forth and I forget the official ruling. I think if you are in Close Assault (adjacent) after the Armor Overrun, you still roll the extra dice. I think the discussion was on ranged attack after an AO.

Quote:
Q6) when playing an Artillery Bombard card – does that mean that all your Artillery get to fire twice? ? If that’s the case then I’ve been playing this card wrong since first purchasing the base set many years ago… and I can’t wait to get this card next time!

Yes, each arty gets to fire twice. Each unit has to take the two battles one right after the other. But they are considered 2 separate attack, which means flags are "reset" between rolls, you can switch targets, etc.

Quote:
That’s pretty much it – thanks to all of you in the M44 community – I’m still loving this game. I sort of feel like the member of a very select and enlightened few.

In some ways M44 is perfect – including in the way that it’s paced. I find that just about the time that I’m thinking that it’s all a little too random or unrealistic, then its game over and inevitably we’re both saying what fun it was – I would be in my own private little hell if I was forced to have a four hour session of Risk at this stage in my gaming career.

It's a great game and one I am still enjoying after 160+ plays. I still haven't even gotten to all the official scenarios yet!

Quote:
A wee note : My current opponent is relatively new to the game and he’s having a little difficulty getting his head around retreating. He believes there is a discrepancy wherein you retreat the whole unit (up to 4 figures) when you can – but when you have nowhere to move to then you only take away the equal number of figures to the number of flags that were rolled. I have taught maybe half a dozen people M44 but this is the first time I’ve come across this. Has anyone else experienced this?

I think his way works (trying to wrap my head around it) but it is an odd way to state it. The unit never ever splits. So if it retreats, it retreats as a whole unit. But for every flag it cannot take (i.e the number of hexes it is supposed to move, but can't), you take away 1 figure.

X Flags = X hexes to retreat. Y hexes not moved = Y figures you lose.

If Y is greater than or equal to the number of figures you have left, the unit is destroyed and your opponent gets the victory.

Quote:
Another wee note – There seems to be a rare mistake on the card for Sandbags? – It does not mention any dice penalty!

On the reference card? Is it the original or the Air Pack version? The Air Pack version shows it above the INF and ARM symbols on the right hand side. And just checked the base game and it is correct as well. The "-1" and the unit shape mean "-1 die rolled."

Quote:
Yours Geekily,

Murray (kiwigamer)

Welcome to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... What he said...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.