Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing I noticed is that this is a heavy, heavy game. What's frustrating is that I dropped my copy before I even got the shrinkwrap off and now the box is split.

The rulebook is very nice, with the cover a heavier-weight stock than the interior pages. And both the rulebook cover and box cover use a spot varnish to give the overall package an elegant style.

Time for the tape.

Anyway, here are a few of the photos that I took after opening the box.

This is the bits spread across the floor. There's a lot in here (three sealed card decks, four sheets of tokens, gameboard, plastic stands, rules, character sheets and strategy sheets).

The time sheet.

I'll try to take more photos this weekend when we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I wonder if your strategy will be completely railroaded into following the tips on whichever character card you're dealt or if you can be successful with a character without adhering to their particular strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure, but the strategy sheets do seem a bit odd. I'm assuming these will be basic strategies good for a first game but as you play, and learn, you'll adapt new strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good work Phil, now I expect a full report on my desk first thing in the morning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, hopefully, this game will throw enough at you this won't seem like a script! I can't wait to read your report - this game could be really interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
Good work Phil, now I expect a full report on my desk first thing in the morning

Well, maybe not until Sunday morning, but I'll post something after I get the chance to play on Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C.
United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
"Somewhere over the rainbow..."
mbmbmbmbmb
disclamer wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if your strategy will be completely railroaded into following the tips on whichever character card you're dealt or if you can be successful with a character without adhering to their particular strategy.

Apparently his strategy was dropping the box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeaniknik wrote:
Apparently his strategy was dropping the box

My strategy sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
disclamer wrote:

Nah. Those are just recommendations to help new players get a handle on the game and to kind of feel out what their detective's strengths and weaknesses are. Louis isn't great at the puzzle, but I've seen him dominate it and really clean up on VPs from his favors, for instance.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:

Only if you mean an e-report on your virtual desktop first thing after moonrise...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinW wrote:
disclamer wrote:

Nah. Those are just recommendations to help new players get a handle on the game and to kind of feel out what their detective's strengths and weaknesses are. Louis isn't great at the puzzle, but I've seen him dominate it and really clean up on VPs from his favors, for instance.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

Thanks, Kevin. I'm pretty excited by this title. I appreciate all the extra effort FFG is putting into promotion, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:

Well, maybe not until Sunday morning, but I'll post something after I get the chance to play on Saturday.

Chop chop Phil, it's Sunday afternoon. We're waiting!
And pix too, don't try to wriggle out of this with a ten line summary. My whole plans for Christmas night could be decided by your report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
And pix too, don't try to wriggle out of this with a ten line summary.

I'm working on it, but I'll need a few more hours to wrap this up. As it is the review is over 4,000 words long and I haven't even started to write a conclusion.

One piece from the intro to my review:

"Unfortunately, during the course of play the game is less about discovering the murderer and more about pinning the blame on one of the suspects. You see, unlike Clue in which there can be only one actual murderer in each session of the game, in Android any one of the suspects can be the killer; the players aren’t so much unraveling a mystery as they are building a lie (or maybe, a flawed case). When the game ends the players will have identified a suspect as guilty, but there’s no real way in which we know if the guilty party is actually guilty of the crime or if the players merely built enough evidence to convict an innocent suspect of a crime which he did not actually commit. It’s a minor technicality that has no impact on the play of the game, but some players will no doubt be frustrated by this. Despite this particular quirk of the way in which the murder mystery plays out, I feel that there’s enough going on in the game – and that there is enough innovation in the design – that anyone who is a fan of Fantasy Flight’s big box games needs to give Android a chance."

If nothing bad happens to me then I'll have this posted before the end of the day.

The game is huge and my brain is still digesting the session last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole part about making a case sounds very similar to Murder City. That's the prime part of that game, but you don't travel around a board to do it. Wonder how similar they are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Harris
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can see the possible issue of pinning the blame on someone and not really knowing who commited the crime, but if there is actual evidence being used to pin the blame it's a little more realistic and I think I will like that. When someone is found guilty in a court room, other than the evidence used to convict them, you don't really know if the person is guilty or if you've just sent someone innocent to jail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
Chop chop Phil, it's Sunday afternoon. We're waiting!
And pix too, don't try to wriggle out of this with a ten line summary. My whole plans for Christmas night could be decided by your report.

The review is posted and just waiting to be approved. It came in at a little over 6,000 words so I think I managed to exceed your "ten line summary" minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jolly good Phil. My hat's off to you sir for an outstanding piece of work. Take the rest of the week off, and enjoy your game. Thanks to you I can't wait to get my hands on this one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.