Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you're Starbuck or Adama, what's the point of piloting vipers? Seems like you get two actions (a movement and an action), just the same as you'd get if you used Command, except with Command you don't have to make one of the actions movement, you can activate two different vipers if you want, and you don't have to pay a card to get back on the ship. Please let me know what I'm missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The piloting cards are useful if you're piloting a viper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starbuck, with cards can down 8 raiders in one turn, anyone else can down 4 and then be given executive orders

Its worth getting in the viper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of Evasive Maneuvers also allows a player-piloted viper to hold off a small fleet of raiders on its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to the red piloting cards, piloted Vipers are more effective than unmanned ones. However, if you don't have red cards, or aren't willing to use them, then unmanned vipers do the job just as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starbuck with an Executive Order and a hand full of red cards is a nightmare to the Cylon fleet.

You get Adama out there, and they can save the fleet with just two Vipers between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Havránek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
our pilot shot down basestar when it was needed and one extra ship with it. using skills and cards are deadly for cylon fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Helo's re-roll as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP was asking what the point of piloting is if you're not Starbuck or Apollo (so specifically Helo or Sharon) but I think it's been largely answered.

The benefits of an manned Viper vs. an unmanned Viper:

1. Maximum Firepower can give a manned viper four attacks; Command can only give an unmanned viper two attacks.

2. With Evasive Manuevers, raiders have to reroll a 7 or higher to score a hit against a manned viper, and it's not possible to destroy the viper. Against an unmanned viper, the raider only needs to roll a 5 or higher, and can destroy the viper on a roll o 8.

3. Manned vipers can be moved during their pilot's movement phase. Unmanned vipers can only be moved during a player's action.

4. If Command is ever damaged, unmanned vipers cannot be activated until it is repaired. Once launched, manned vipers can function regardless of damage tokens, and cannot be targeted by a basestar.

I think both manned and unmanned vipers serve an important purpose. Unmanned vipers provide effective cover for civilian ships, and can even take out raiders if assembled en masse. Manned vipers are like one-man armies; they're harder to hit, and they can take out massive amounts of opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I didn't really catch the Starbuck/Apollo portion of the question.

But in all honesty, Helo's pretty frakking good when he's out there, because of his re-roll.

But who else mans fighters, honestly? I've never had a game with both Helo and Starbuck in at the same time. And both of them are always manning fighters with Apollo with the skies get crowded with Sparrows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.