Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob McMonigal
United States
Pgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there any point to getting Memoir 44?

I think the game is way too random, the sizes mean nothing, there's no objective, etc. Anything improved in the system by Memoir 44?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trebro wrote:

I think the game is way too random, the sizes mean nothing, there's no objective, etc. Anything improved in the system by Memoir 44?

Well, with such a possitive attitude, I'm sure you'll love it! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M44 does feel somewhat random, but good tactics (such as using terrain effectively) goes a long way. Size doesn't really mean much as you said, but there are often (not always) objectives that gain victory medals in addition to killing troops. There are a few maps (dam scenario of the terrain pack comes to mind) where the objective is fairly critical for one side to win. It's a great game, but its not for everybody. Definitely try before you buy though.

That being said, Conflict of Heroes is only a slight step up from M44 and feels much more strategic to me and has a great battle system and almost always objectives or critical points to control. In addition it slowly adds on rules so you never feel overwhelmed. If you are looking for a elegant light wargame you might consider it.

If you are looking for something that is not random at all and size means a great deal, you might look into Starcraft which has a completely non-random card battle system that works really well and every unit matters even it if it is just a supporting unit. I know many people who never played the computer game and enjoy the board game quite a lot so even if you aren't familiar with the original game, you still might enjoy it.

Thanks for the catch, I did mean Conflict of Heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd rather be gaming...
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
That being said, Call of Heroes is only a slight step up from M44 and feels much more strategic to me and has a great battle system and almost always objectives or critical points to control.

I think ras2124 is talking about Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Memoir is a better game than Battle Cry but given your list of dislikes I don't think Memoir is for you.

As a Memoir nut that was hard for me to say. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
I think Memoir is a better game than Battle Cry but given your list of dislikes I don't think Memoir is for you.

As a Memoir nut that was hard for me to say. cry

I have to agree.

Memoir improves a lot of things over Battle Cry, but given your reasons for dislikeing Battle Cry, they don't affect you. But just in case, these are the benefits M44 gives you...

1) Most "tactic" cards give you the option to move 1 unit of your choice if you have no units of the card tupe. This gives you a better cvhance of "no dead hand." Which means you should always be able to play some card that will move some unit to your benefit.

2) Infantry can move 2 and not fire -or- one and fire. This was a house rule that was adopted semi-officially at the tail end of BC. This small change means the conflicts happen faster and the game moves better in Memoir. This wasn't made clear to me until I played a game of BC PBEM and realized how long it took for the opening moves to develop into something.

3) Retreating off the board no longer exists. If your unit was forced to retreat off the board, it was wiped out completely - and if it had a general attached, that gave your opponent 2 victory points. That was a steep price to pay. Now, the edge is treated just like impassable terrain and you only loose a figure per flag you can't retreat. Which gives you mroe time to maneuver off the edge.

4) Expansions and support. Maybe you will see this as a negative since you have to buy more to enjoy more. I honestly think the base game is great enough on its own - especially after you add in all the official scenarios on DOW's website - but the expansions make it so much more richer.

But it is still the same system: play cards to order units, roll dice to resolve battles. It is still about killing more units than your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can see from the responses, this is one of the top sacred cows on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
papahoth wrote:

shake

You again?

As I read the reposnes I see M '44 fairly explained. In fact a number of psoters point out that the same things the OP didn't like about Battle Cry are in M '44 and as such he probably wouldn't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trebro wrote:

Actually there are scenarios with obiectives to be achieved in order to gain victory it just depends on the scenarios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
As others have said. Battle Cry and Memoir 44 share a lot of the same mechanics, so if you don't like one, you probably won't like the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric San Juan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
trebro wrote:

Memoir '44 sounds right up your alley. You and that game are a perfect match. PERFECT. I think you ought to get it as soon as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric San Juan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
papahoth wrote:

The two people who gave a direct answer to his question both told him that the game is not for him. Other folks described the game and suggested he try before he buy.

Yeah, real sacred cow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
trebro wrote:

I'd recommend you skip it Rob.

I don't know much about "Tide of Iron", but some say it's a step up from M44 in complexity. It also has a longer play time. You might investigate that instead of M44.

Wishing you well in your search for a great game to play.

Falloutfan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.