Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you keep statistics of your played games? I do! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrik T
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve been playing board games as long as I can remember and one question that now and then pops up – most often in a rather friendly manner – is who is the best in a certain game. Well question might be the wrong word to use as the most common approach is someone claiming to be the best in this or that game or even in board games as a whole

This isn’t a matter we discuss very often. As a matter of fact we hardly ever discuss this but in February 2007 I got the idea to start keep statistics of each and every game we played – who played, who won, who ended up second etc. This far me and my friends have played 117 games.

I only keep track of games played by three or more players. I’ve also left out the games I think are too light (like ‘fillers’). Well this isn’t really the truth as I keep track of those games as well, but I only keep track of the result – I don’t hand out any ranking points for those, as described below

To be able to get a somewhat “fair” ranking system in each game I had a couple of things I wanted to get solved;

1. I wanted it to be worth more to win a game with more participants than less.
2. I wanted it to be worth more to win a game with experienced participants than a game with rookies.
3. I wanted it to be worth a little extra to end up winning the game than to end up in second place.

As a result of this I give points as follows:
1 pts for participating
1 pts for each player, that has played the game before, placed after you in the end.
0.5pts for each player, that played the game for the first time, placed after you in the end.
0.5pts for each player ending up in the same place as you
1 pts for winning the game.

Here’s an example.
The players ended up in the following order and player names with a * after it, played the game for the first time… (and yes – my name is Patrik )

1st Patrik gets 5.5pts
2nd Henrik gets 3.5pts (two experienced players behind and one rookie)
3rd Andreas* gets 2.5pts (one player behind and one in the same place)
3rd Jerry gets 2,5pts (one player behind and one in the same place)
5th Magnus gets 1 pts

In the end I let excel do the math and calculate every persons medium ranking pts for all their played games. To get the current ranking for a game I sort them from highest to lowest medium ranking points, excluding players that has only played the game one or two times (you’re not supposed to be able to play and win the game once and the claim the title “best player” for that game).

In addition to this I keep track of a “marathon table” to get a total ranking of who is the best in board games as a whole. This however is done in a much easier way. For every game played I give the winner 1pts and the rest depending of how many participants it was. With four players they get 0.75, 0.50 and 0.25pts and so on. All points gained divided with how many games you have played gives you your ranking points.

So what do I and my friends think of this?

Well as I’m that kind of person that likes to work with and read statistics I think its fun. I think one or two of my friends agree with me on this one. Unfortunately I’m not that high up in the rankings but I think its fun anyway

Some of my friends don’t really care. They think it’s somewhat fun and probably looks at the statistics once in a while.

Then I have a couple of friends that actually don’t like it at all. After I started to keep track of our games they think it has become a little less fun to play games as people start to consider their placing at the end of the game – and therefore maybe goes for second place rather than try to grasp that tiny-almost-non-existing-chance of winning and with that risking to fall down in rankings in the end. This however I think ends up in a completely different discussion that I’ve seen here on BGG – how you play when you ‘know’ you can’t win the game anymore.

So what do you guys think? Anyone else that keep track of their played games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the game group organizer for our group and I tend to like statistics and information. I took a slightly different approach than you on this. One thing I have found with a ranking system is that people start to focus on the meta-game (Stats) sometimes too much and the individual game experiences tend to be secondary. Nobody likes to be low in a ranking system. A local club does a ranking system and I have heard from some of the regulars that certain people only play games they know well or are good at. I think that is unfortunate.

At our game nights, I ask everyone for a rating. How do you rate the game from a fun perspective. I use the same 1-10 scale as BGG. I run a small website for our game group that is a mini BGG. I place the players game ratings on the website. This allows people to look up a game we have played and see information about how much people enjoy the game. It also helps when planning future game nights based on who is coming and what they enjoy.

I do record the points and the score for each game and post that on each indiviudal game night webpage, but we do not assign point values or establish rankings from these.

Hope that answers your questions. Have fun...
...Matt
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the Best at Tichu. devil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Hillep
Estonia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work You've done.
I tried to keep track of all the games I play but...well, sometimes we have a couple of beers while playing games and sometimes more and sometimes even not only beer...You get the point
One morning after our own little boardgame-camp me and my friend couldn't even recall who had won the IGOR last night... That's the point.. Besides I'm too lazy to run into BGG and update my play-list.

Maybe You should keep track of each game separately (since You've made it so complex You wouldn't mind so more calculations, do You ). This would add some courage to some players I presume...

The other way would to keep track of not cumulative win scores but percentages (won/played). That would keep everyone's spirit up since one loss could mean leaving behind. This could also be done with Your per-point method (points acquired/max points) that would also give points to second, third and loser players

And I also like math
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In all seriousness. I have a few people in my gaming circles that use Dan's Database to track wins and losses and graph's plays and other things. You should take a look at what he put together. I personally don't track here, but I have lots of plays recorded from other gamers whom I game with track here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like reading about various scoring systems. Nice points system. I like how you reward newbies.

Here is one system that was used for RussCon.
http://russcon.org/RussCon/devilpoints.html It worked well with teams and ties. (You have to consider games like Pandemic, Scotland Yard, and other one-against-many or players-versus-game systems.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
beckerdo wrote:
I like reading about various scoring systems. Nice points system. I like how you reward newbies.

Here is one system that was used for RussCon.
http://russcon.org/RussCon/devilpoints.html It worked well with teams and ties. (You have to consider games like Pandemic, Scotland Yard, and other one-against-many or players-versus-game systems.)


Speak of the "Devil".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
In all seriousness. I have a few people in my gaming circles that use Dan's Database to track wins and losses and graph's plays and other things.


That web site is a computer implementation of Russ' Devil points system. Not many people record games there anymore (including me), but the graphs keep drawing since they are automated to always draw the current year.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Holley
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
51% DELICIOUS!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tege wrote:

Then I have a couple of friends that actually don’t like it at all. After I started to keep track of our games they think it has become a little less fun to play games as people start to consider their placing at the end of the game – and therefore maybe goes for second place rather than try to grasp that tiny-almost-non-existing-chance of winning and with that risking to fall down in rankings in the end. This however I think ends up in a completely different discussion that I’ve seen here on BGG – how you play when you ‘know’ you can’t win the game anymore.


Seems like it'd be easy enough to only track those that want to have their stats known. Use the same scoring system, just replace all non-participants with 'Rookie' or 'Player #X.' That way the competitive types can still play for bragging rights and the rest can play for fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
This sounds like the kind of thing I (and I think, the people I play games with) would run a mile from. I don't care to know precisely how many games (of whatever) I have won in the last year, in the last three months, whatever. I don't care to know that I'm the second best or the third worst player at whatever game out of all the people I know who've played. Every game needs to be a new and self-contained experience, and if I learn from it then that's well and good and if I particularly enjoy it (win or lose) and remember it fondly then that's even better. But I don't care to be reminded that I'm crap at such and such a game (or even that I'm good at it and everyone else is crap).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik T
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammerite wrote:
This sounds like the kind of thing I (and I think, the people I play games with) would run a mile from. I don't care to know precisely how many games (of whatever) I have won in the last year, in the last three months, whatever. I don't care to know that I'm the second best or the third worst player at whatever game out of all the people I know who've played. Every game needs to be a new and self-contained experience, and if I learn from it then that's well and good and if I particularly enjoy it (win or lose) and remember it fondly then that's even better. But I don't care to be reminded that I'm crap at such and such a game (or even that I'm good at it and everyone else is crap).


I totally understand your point of view and to maybe clarify things up a bit I have to tell you that me and my friends main goal when we play games is NOT to get points in some kind of ranking system. When we meet to play it is primarly to:
a) Get together and have a nice time together (which seems to be harder and harder these days concidering work, children etc)
b) Have a nice game experience around a game we all like
c) Maybe combine the game with some food and/or something nice to drink

Actually when I started to keep track I thought it would be something fun "on the side". Something not to take so serious but sometimes fun to look at. But from some of the comments in my thread, and comments from a couple of my friends, I understand that some people take written numbers/statistics way more serious than I do. Therefore I've chosen not to declare "the standings" now and then but I've told my friends where to find the statistics if they want to read it
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik T
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hillep wrote:
...Maybe You should keep track of each game separately (since You've made it so complex You wouldn't mind so more calculations, do You ). This would add some courage to some players I presume...


That's exactly how I do it! I guess I didn't explain it good enough. I keep track of each game (Kingsburg, Hermagor etc) separately. The 'marathon table' however is a merged staistical table of all the games we have played since day one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik T
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bixby wrote:
...At our game nights, I ask everyone for a rating. How do you rate the game from a fun perspective. I use the same 1-10 scale as BGG. I run a small website for our game group that is a mini BGG. I place the players game ratings on the website. This allows people to look up a game we have played and see information about how much people enjoy the game. It also helps when planning future game nights based on who is coming and what they enjoy.


This sounds like a really good idea! Any chance that I can get the adress to your website? I would be happy to check it out!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tege wrote:
Bixby wrote:
...At our game nights, I ask everyone for a rating. How do you rate the game from a fun perspective. I use the same 1-10 scale as BGG. I run a small website for our game group that is a mini BGG. I place the players game ratings on the website. This allows people to look up a game we have played and see information about how much people enjoy the game. It also helps when planning future game nights based on who is coming and what they enjoy.


This sounds like a really good idea! Any chance that I can get the adress to your website? I would be happy to check it out!


Actually, the website I run is closed and is for family and friends only. The user ID's are full names and some areas of the website have addresses and phone numbers. Hope you understand. Perhaps I can copy/paste some information to show you how it is set up.


Here is the game invitation thread including the game recap. Pardon the formatting, it did not copy over very well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Board Game Night - Matt & Kathy's - Monday, October 20th, 2008
Post by: Matt Robertson on October 15, 2008, 11:07:55 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Board Game Night

Date: Monday, October 20th
Time: 6:45pm - 10:30
Location: Matt & Kathy's
Who: First 6 Players to register.
What: TBASuggestions anyone?

Respond in this thread if you are interested in attending.

Note: Please respond as soon as you are able, it helps with planning the evening.
Note: Please show up as close to 6:45 (or earlier) as possible to enable a prompt start.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Board Game Night - Matt & Kathy's - Monday, October 20th, 2008
Post by: Lori M on October 15, 2008, 01:49:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep, I'm in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Board Game Night - Matt & Kathy's - Monday, October 20th, 2008
Post by: Guy O on October 17, 2008, 09:54:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
me too me too!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Board Game Night - Matt & Kathy's - Monday, October 20th, 2008
Post by: Ted G on October 20, 2008, 02:26:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm in too

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Board Game Night - Matt & Kathy's - Monday, October 20th, 2008
Post by: Lori M on October 20, 2008, 02:48:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I probably won't make it now. All the wheels have fallen off at work and I'll probably be staying late. I'm sorry guys.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Board Game Night - Matt & Kathy's - Monday, October 20th, 2008
Post by: Matt Robertson on October 20, 2008, 03:27:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No worries. Take care Lori. Thanks for the heads up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Board Game Night - Matt & Kathy's - Monday, October 20th, 2008
Post by: Matt Robertson on October 20, 2008, 11:54:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game Night Recap:

Players:
Matt Robertson - Ted G - Kathy L - Guy O

Game:
Carcassonne with all the tiles but only a couple of expansions rules.

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly:
Ted: 252
Guy: 234
Kathy: 206
Matt: 199

Wow. Who knew, Ted has green thumbs and can farm like there is no tomorrow. Fun game. (Glad you got to try it Guy).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Board Game Night - Matt & Kathy's - Monday, October 20th, 2008
Post by: Guy O on October 21, 2008, 10:32:20 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really enjoyed the game ! Thanks to Ted Kathy and Matt for their patience. Ted you are "THE FARMER BOB" guy. you cleaned up with the Piggy :-) Well done!

Thanks for another great evening friends, I am truly becoming addicted to our gatherings Monday evenings!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Board Game Night - Matt & Kathy's - Monday, October 20th, 2008
Post by: Matt Robertson on October 21, 2008, 10:42:47 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glad you enjoyed it Guy. Always a pleasure to have you over for games. Good news is that I found some GREAT playing aids and teaching aids for Carcassonne last night. That will help immensely. I will post them when I get a chance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Board Game Night - Matt & Kathy's - Monday, October 20th, 2008
Post by: Guy O on October 21, 2008, 08:57:57 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Matt!



Here is another section of the website that is like a Mini-BGG. Most of our game group members do not go to BGG so I provide a scaled down section to capture game ratings and some basic information about the game. It is also a thread where the game can be discussed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Game: Carcassonne
Post by: Matt Robertson on January 07, 2008, 10:43:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The game of Carcassone.
This is the thread to discuss the game of Carcassonne, any variants, likes, dislikes, etc.

Description:
In this fairly light tile-laying offering, players pull a tile from the pool and place it against one of the previously played tiles. If you start a new object (city, road, farm or monastery), you can place one of your control markers on the tile to denote your control. Markers (called Followers by the publisher and called Meeples by us) cannot directly compete when placed, so to achieve some gains you must place your marker and use later tiles to connect up to it.

As subsequent tiles are arrayed on the board, objects get bigger or even merge. When roads or cities are completed, or a monastery is surrounded, the control marker is returned to you and you score the points. However, farmers are not returned and will score points at the game end (there are several rules variations for the farmer scoring).

Therefore, it's possible to have all of your control markers locked on the board on incomplete objects, and not be able to convert them into farmers later in the game. You must balance the need to score points during the game, and the need to score farmer points at game end.

The goal is to have the most points at the end, which can be tricky to control considering your choice for each turn isn't the tile itself, but rather the placement of the tile that you drew.

Board Game Geek Entry:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/822

Expansions:
The Count Of Carcassonne - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12903
The Abbey & Mayor - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/31784
The King & Scout - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7707
The Mini Expansion (Games Quarterly Magazine) - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/26615
The Princess & The Dragon - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15158
The River - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2591
The River II - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/18836
The Tower - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/21385
Traders & Builders - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5405
Inns & Cathedrals - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2993
The Cult (Spielbox Magazine) - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/38431
The Cathars (Spielbox Magazine) - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/13300

Resources:
Annotated Rules For All Expansions - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/27524/AnnotatedRu...

Player Ratings: See http://forums.bixby.ca/index.php?topic=33.0 for an explanation of Ratings
Laura T
Kathy L
Mark C
Gail C
Matt Robertson
Mathew G
Curtis K
Keith U
Michelle G
Teri L
Ted G
Guy O
Danielle P

Jason P: Varies (See post below)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Game: Carcassonne
Post by: Matt Robertson on January 07, 2008, 11:14:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found this and thought it would be helpful.

Turn Sequence, including ALL expansions:
01. Collect the fairy point, (if the fairy stands next to your meeple)

02. You may buy back a prisoner

03. Draw a tile and place it or place your abbey piece instead of drawing a tile

04. 'Move the wood'
a. you must move the dragon if you placed a dragon tile (volcano) - jump to d
b. deploy a small or a large follower - jump to 5
c. deploy the mayor or the wagon or place the barn - jump to 5
d. deploy the builder or the pig - jump to 5
e. you may move the fairy - jump to 5
f. remove a follower with the princess - jump to 5
g. place a tower piece (you may remove follower and then must trade prisoners if possible)

05. Move the dragon if necessary

06. You may move followers from the appropriate city quarter of Carcassonne to the feature being scored (after all other players)

07. Score completed features (also farms, if you placed the barn).

08. You may move a follower, the mayor or the wagon to the city of Carcassonne (if a city, road or cloister is completed and you do not score any of them)

09. Collect possible trade counters

10. Take the king (if completed the largest city) and/or the robber baron (if completed the longest road)

11. You may remove a knight from a besieged city via a neighbouring cloister or abbey

12. If you deployed the builder, start over from #03.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Game: Carcassonne
Post by: Danielle P on January 19, 2008, 09:34:14 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to say I am not a big fan of Carcassonne. I am in the category of I'll play if coerced, but I wouldn't pick it out of a stack of games to play. Maybe it is because Jason is good at spacial games and me not so much....those darn farmers get me every time.

Anyway, I know it is a favorite of lots of people and I respect that, just wanted to provide my $0.02.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Game: Carcassonne
Post by: Matt Robertson on January 19, 2008, 10:29:28 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the rating Danielle. Appreciate it. Rating games by enjoyment factor will really help planning games for the right audience.
Cheers.
Matt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Game: Carcassonne
Post by: Jason P on February 03, 2008, 11:17:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rating this game is complex, and a general rating really cannot apply. The expansions really do change the game, and some of them not for the better when combined with other expansions.

As a two player game, with 4-5 Expansions, it's great: 8 Stars
As a two player game, with experienced players and more than 5 Expansions, it's workable: 6 Stars
As a 4+ Player game with relatively experienced players and at most 4 or 5 Expansions, it's a ok: 4 Stars
As a 4+ Payer game with with the basic set, and at most one of the "easy" expansions, it's a great group/social game: 6 Stars
As a 4+ Player game with new players or players that aren't paying attention, and 4 or 5 expansions, it's a monstrosity!
As a 4+ Player game with new players or players that aren't paying attention and all the expansions, it's frustrating!

I can honestly say, it would be very difficult for me to ever play a game again with "too many" expansions and more than 4 players. 3+ hours on this game is really not worth it! The downtime in that sort of game can be horrendous!

Sorry to be confusing, but the game really changes a lot with the expansions, and how they interact and affect the suitability of the game to certain groups.

And a note on the farmer scoring. Hunters and Gatherers "fixed" it. I like the original scoring where each city is worth 4 points to the player that has the most farmers adjacent to it. It's not that hard, and it's pretty easy to explain (you're farmers take over the market there). I have no idea how the other scoring works now, and it always seems to be a point of contention; especially when there are about 3 published versions with different scoring, and many variants and "fixes" out there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Game: Carcassonne
Post by: Matt Robertson on February 04, 2008, 08:38:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the review Jason.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Game: Carcassonne
Post by: Curtis K on July 28, 2008, 12:50:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
great little game for the whole family. 8 Stars

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Game: Carcassonne
Post by: Matt Robertson on July 28, 2008, 01:10:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Curtis. I added your rating. This is a family favourite in our house too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Game: Carcassonne
Post by: Mathew G on November 17, 2008, 01:13:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bless Carcassone.

It is the first game my wife actually really wants to play.

In part because of the 'meeples'. If they were only called followers it wouldn't appeal to her.

Not a 10/10 for me, but definitely a solid 8.5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Game: Carcassonne
Post by: Matt Robertson on November 17, 2008, 01:54:57 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the review Matty. Say hi to Laura and Finn for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Game: Carcassonne
Post by: Mathew G on November 17, 2008, 03:43:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matt,

I will,

So have me at 8.5 and Laura T at 10.

Cheers!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik T
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bixby wrote:
...Actually, the website I run is closed and is for family and friends only. The user ID's are full names and some areas of the website have addresses and phone numbers. Hope you understand. Perhaps I can copy/paste some information to show you how it is set up.


I totally understand! Thanx for the info anyway! It looks as if you put quite some work into your site! Good job!

Thanx for your response! Take care and happy gaming!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I think it is the epitome of lame. It only serves to add pressure to playing games. Not fun at all.


I totally disagree with your attitude and think that keeping stats is the epitome of fun.

See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1014464#1014464
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I think it is the epitome of lame. It only serves to add pressure to playing games. Not fun at all.


That's pretty harsh. Don't hold back now. I see those Dale Carnegie courses paid off. shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik T
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I think it is the epitome of lame. It only serves to add pressure to playing games. Not fun at all.


Well as I responded to another person earlier I've come to understand that we all look at statistics in different ways As I said I look at it as something fun "on the side" not to be taken so seriously As I after some time understood a couple of my friends started to feel more pressure due to the statistics I no longer assign the numbers to anyone but let them know where to look at it if they want to. The main goal to play games is to have a good time...a good gaming experience!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik T
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoamDog wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
I think it is the epitome of lame. It only serves to add pressure to playing games. Not fun at all.


I totally disagree with your attitude and think that keeping stats is the epitome of fun.

See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1014464#1014464


Nice that someone agrees with me on this one I looked in to your thread and I think you've found a very good way of handling the statistics. The idea of replacing the player names with labels is indeed a very good way of preventing meta gaming! I'll definitely look into that some more! Thanx!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I find a lot of boardgamers are quite anal and OCD when it comes to gaming. It completely sucks the fun out of it for me when I have to deal with such people.


You seem to have forgotten the concept that you can disagree without being disagreeable.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
I find a lot of boardgamers are quite anal and OCD when it comes to gaming. It completely sucks the fun out of it for me when I have to deal with such people.


You seem to have forgotten the concept that you can disagree without being disagreeable.



Sorry that you find offense in an observation. It is not a random observation, but one made from real life experiences, and reinforced by peoples' views here.

It is quite apparent in the boardgaming hobby that many people seem to be anal and ocd about their games. This does not occur nearly as much in other gaming, such as video/computer gaming, etc. It seems limited to boardgames for some unknown reason.

Maybe it has to do with the physicality of boardgaming as opposed to the other hobbies. Encourages behaviors where everything has to be just so and in control of the obsessor.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Bixby wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
I think it is the epitome of lame. It only serves to add pressure to playing games. Not fun at all.


That's pretty harsh. Don't hold back now. I see those Dale Carnegie courses paid off. shake


How is it harsh? It is how I feel. Should this thread only be for people that agree?

It is anti fun to make gaming into a stat keeping tournament to me.

I love ping pong.. I do not like tournaments. I love Team Fortress 2. I would never join a tournament.

I find a lot of boardgamers are quite anal and OCD when it comes to gaming. It completely sucks the fun out of it for me when I have to deal with such people.


Perhaps the choice of words used. "epitome", "lame". I do not play in tournaments either and I do not necessarily agree with the original poster's pursuit of establishing rankings, but I can certainly respect his opinion without denigrating it.

It is all about respectul discourse to me. That is all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik T
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Bixby wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
Bixby wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
I think it is the epitome of lame. It only serves to add pressure to playing games. Not fun at all.


That's pretty harsh. Don't hold back now. I see those Dale Carnegie courses paid off. shake


How is it harsh? It is how I feel. Should this thread only be for people that agree?

It is anti fun to make gaming into a stat keeping tournament to me.

I love ping pong.. I do not like tournaments. I love Team Fortress 2. I would never join a tournament.

I find a lot of boardgamers are quite anal and OCD when it comes to gaming. It completely sucks the fun out of it for me when I have to deal with such people.


Perhaps the choice of words used. "epitome", "lame". I do not play in tournaments either and I do not necessarily agree with the original poster's pursuit of establishing rankings, but I can certainly respect his opinion without denigrating it.

It is all about respectul discourse to me. That is all.


It IS the epitome of lame to me. I hate it when people keep track of games like that. Sorry, but when people do it to my gaming, I consider it the epitome of lame. It sucks the fun out of it for me. Why should I pussyfoot around my opinion while others come in and laud it as a great thing?


Tough discussion here Everybody is entitled to their opinion and as long as we have respect for one another everything is ok.

It would be interesting to hear why you think statistics add pressure to a game?! I believe it hasn't to do with the statistics it self but how the people reading it looks at it. Statistics in a group of very competitive people will sure add a lot of pressure, but in a group of quite laid back people that mainly play games for the fun of it, the stats can be something fun on the side. At least that is my point of view

I also wonder why you hate it when people keep track of games?!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hypnos Tene
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Bixby wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
Bixby wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
I think it is the epitome of lame. It only serves to add pressure to playing games. Not fun at all.


That's pretty harsh. Don't hold back now. I see those Dale Carnegie courses paid off. shake


How is it harsh? It is how I feel. Should this thread only be for people that agree?

It is anti fun to make gaming into a stat keeping tournament to me.

I love ping pong.. I do not like tournaments. I love Team Fortress 2. I would never join a tournament.

I find a lot of boardgamers are quite anal and OCD when it comes to gaming. It completely sucks the fun out of it for me when I have to deal with such people.


Perhaps the choice of words used. "epitome", "lame". I do not play in tournaments either and I do not necessarily agree with the original poster's pursuit of establishing rankings, but I can certainly respect his opinion without denigrating it.

It is all about respectul discourse to me. That is all.


It IS the epitome of lame to me. I hate it when people keep track of games like that. Sorry, but when people do it to my gaming, I consider it the epitome of lame. It sucks the fun out of it for me. Why should I pussyfoot around my opinion while others come in and laud it as a great thing?


Because it's against the rules, unless we're debating Agricola's rank ; )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tege wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
Bixby wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
Bixby wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
I think it is the epitome of lame. It only serves to add pressure to playing games. Not fun at all.


That's pretty harsh. Don't hold back now. I see those Dale Carnegie courses paid off. :shake:


How is it harsh? It is how I feel. Should this thread only be for people that agree?

It is anti fun to make gaming into a stat keeping tournament to me.

I love ping pong.. I do not like tournaments. I love Team Fortress 2. I would never join a tournament.

I find a lot of boardgamers are quite anal and OCD when it comes to gaming. It completely sucks the fun out of it for me when I have to deal with such people.


Perhaps the choice of words used. "epitome", "lame". I do not play in tournaments either and I do not necessarily agree with the original poster's pursuit of establishing rankings, but I can certainly respect his opinion without denigrating it.

It is all about respectul discourse to me. That is all.


It IS the epitome of lame to me. I hate it when people keep track of games like that. Sorry, but when people do it to my gaming, I consider it the epitome of lame. It sucks the fun out of it for me. Why should I pussyfoot around my opinion while others come in and laud it as a great thing?


Tough discussion here :) Everybody is entitled to their opinion and as long as we have respect for one another everything is ok.

It would be interesting to hear why you think statistics add pressure to a game?! I believe it hasn't to do with the statistics it self but how the people reading it looks at it. Statistics in a group of very competitive people will sure add a lot of pressure, but in a group of quite laid back people that mainly play games for the fun of it, the stats can be something fun on the side. At least that is my point of view :)

I also wonder why you hate it when people keep track of games?!


If I kept track of the 30+ wins in a row against my wife and wrote down another tick each time I won again, I wonder how she'd feel...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.