United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new polls are posted, or want to look at the results of prior polls, I have set up a subscription thread here = http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/328439

Poll: The 24th TGIF Poll
Which of these gamer types describes you?

(With assistance from fehrmeister's awesome geeklist = http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19652)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Game Explainer (often teaching the games)
82.2% 185
Rules Lawyer (nit-picking all the little details, to make sure you're all playing right)
32.0% 72
Trash Talker (talking all kinds of smack)
16.4% 37
Obsessive-Compulsive (organizing components, straightening discard piles, etc.)
41.3% 93
Random Stategizer (always attempting new and often obscure strategies)
31.6% 71
Game Logger (keeping track of games played, who won, and scores)
32.9% 74
Role Player (trying to live out the theme to it's fullest)
17.8% 40
Analysis-Paralysis (just go already!)
9.3% 21
Traitor (going for the move that hurts others more than the move that helps oneself, no cooperative ability)
4.4% 10
Know-It-All (often telling others what is the best move to make)
11.6% 26
Can't Sit Still (usually standing or pacing during a game)
8.0% 18
Voters 225
Which of these gamer types annoys you the most?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Game Explainer (often teaching the games)
1.3% 3
Rules Lawyer (nit-picking all the little details, to make sure you're all playing right)
4.0% 9
Trash Talker (talking all kinds of smack)
6.2% 14
Obsessive-Compulsive (organizing components, straightening discard piles, etc.)
0.9% 2
Random Stategizer (always attempting new and often obscure strategies)
0.4% 1
Game Logger (keeping track of games played, who won, and scores)
0.4% 1
Role Player (trying to live out the theme to it's fullest)
0.4% 1
Analysis-Paralysis (just go already!)
43.6% 99
Traitor (going for the move that hurts others more than the move that helps oneself, no cooperative ability)
11.0% 25
Know-It-All (often telling others what is the best move to make)
26.4% 60
Can't Sit Still (usually standing or pacing during a game)
5.3% 12
Voters 227
This poll is now closed.   228 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:00 am

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo-hoo! FIRST! Boo-ya!

Ok...discussion. I'm the games explainer because I'm pretty much the only real board gamer around. I always end up explaining the rules and how the game works.

What annoys me most? What fun is a game if someone is pretty much making all your moves for you? 'Nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I fit any of the top catagories fully. I explain rules to my family, so I chose explainer. I also chose logger, because keeping track of games and winners really appeals to my sense of statistics. Other than those, I try to have a good time and win, but I won't use obscure strategies to do it (at least not all the time, but that would be close to me, maybe)

I voted to not like trash talkers. I usually play with people I know, so that's less of an issue. But during a con I witnessed a little trash talk and thought - wow, what a jerk. I don't consider boardgaming on the same level as pro wrestling. I don't think you need a "bad guy" to root against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm often the Explainer.. and always the logger. I can sometimes be OC and straighten piles of cards etc., but I can (just about) cope (now) without having to organise my pieces... though I do still fidget with them.

I was really torn between disliking the Trash Talker and the Traitor... I don't much like Trash talk during games, unless it's very light and it is in character with the game itself... Saboteur, Shadows over Camelot etc.

But I also don't like the player who tries to hurt others rather than improve their position... I played with one guy in particular who does both.... He's been known to call people abusive names as a result of in game actions, and he actually had a vendetta against me which carried on in every game for over a year, until I finally lost my rag with him in the middle of a game. I mostly avoid playing with this person these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, a rules lawyer has a specific definition.

A rules lawyer is not someone who knows the rules inside and out. That is not even a prerequisite. I would call someone who knows the rules inside and out an intelligent game player.

Ahem...

Rules Lawyer: Someone who takes ambiguous rules and turns them to favor himself. The best rules lawyers are those that can take these ambiguous rules and turn them one way at one point in the game, then argue the opposite later in the game, always looking to use this to better his position.

Rules Lawyers are BAD!!!

People that know the rules are COOL!!!

Got it? Good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it bad that I checked almost everything on the top?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, it's so hard to choose just one for the second question!

I ended up going for the Know-It-All as the worst. AP players drive me bonkers, but at least they usually do so silently--and they tend to know that they are holding everyone up. The Know-It-All who tells people the optimal move (or scolds them when they do something different) is ruining the game audibly, and in my experience is completely oblivious to how obnoxious it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most annoying gamer type for me is the Poor Sport. Anyone who wins or loses badly just ruins the experience for everyone. Uninvited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
The most annoying gamer type for me is the Poor Sport. Anyone who wins or loses badly just ruins the experience for everyone. Uninvited.

Oh gosh, I didn't even add that because I wouldn't even want to play with that person.

As for my answers: I am the Game Explainer with everyone I play with and I can be a bit of a rules lawyer (though not in the manipulative and devious way that Jeff describes.)

And I do not like the Traitor. I'm sorry, but as a big cooperative game lover, I just can't work with people that don't understand the cooperative concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose Random Strategizer because that's the closest on the list, and I really do like to try different strategies. However my choice would be the Social Gamer, which is one who games for the enjoyment of the social interaction with others.

Also there's a hybrid between a Rules Lawyer and Game Explainer, and that's the person who is adept at scanning the rule book to find the answer to a specific game question/situation that has arisen during play.
I rock at that. I'm not sure what you would call it, though. Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
The A-P'er is the most frustrating gamer of all. Particularly when they;

1 - Consider their options quietly to themselves, but not before its actually their turn. Can't possibly begin to think earlier than that!!

2 - Then consider them all again, but aloud this time. Inviting discussion amongst opponents. And finally.....

3 - Actually move the game pieces/cards around the board to see whether their options as discussed in steps 1 and 2 actually work out the way they think, before then selecting the one that works "best".

The whole process normally takes around 30 minutes. Someone I used to game with fairly regularly had this habit and it was the surest way to ensure I avoid him whenever I see him nowadays....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:

Also there's a hybrid between a Rules Lawyer and Game Explainer, and that's the person who is adept at scanning the rule book to find the answer to a specific game question/situation that has arisen during play.

The wikipedic gamer?

Hope your more accurate with your answers than the thing from which the name is taken though....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a "know-it-all". I checked that box as I often will give advice to new players. Or a player will make an unusually stupid move, and I"ll point it out. Most often I get called on to give the advice, or to calculate the odds for a particular battle. I don't go around moving other's pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a "Know It All" that occasionally comes to play with our group. His intentions are good in that he wants everyone to play to their fullest and to do their best. However, it makes play slow to a crawl while he keeps trying to explain the pros/cons of everyone's move and it's no fun to have a weakness or a hidden intent exposed on every turn.

We've taken to calmly and tactfully reminding him that it's not his turn.

We also have a player that incessantly asks questions during his turn which (coupled with the player above) causes an extreme slow down in play and means this guy gets an optimized turn every round.

Now I'm not highly competitive but I do like that players at least try to play non-cooperative games using their own skills and intuitions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose Know It All for myself but I don't actually do that. I do like to metagame at times for fun. I will point out an occasional move to new players but I will point out moves that hurt me first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For my annoyance, I picked Can't Sit Still which is closest to my real annoyance, the Easily Distracted. You know, the person who watches the TV while playing, or talks on the cell phone, or even tries to play two games at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Allen
United States
Humble
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fall into the know it all category, but normally it is my friends who are asking me which is the best move, or what I would have done.

Normally they will not ask for my opinion until after they make their move, so that the move is still their own, but they still want to know what I thought of their move, and what I would have done the same/differently. (Also statistical probabilities)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
For my annoyance, I picked Can't Sit Still which is closest to my real annoyance, the Easily Distracted. You know, the person who watches the TV while playing, or talks on the cell phone, or even tries to play two games at once.

I'm a 'Can't Sit Still' type, it's mostly because we can't. It's just the way we are, you know, A.D.D. types. It also happens a lot because AP players drive us insane!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's surprising...

I would much rather play with an AP player than a know-it-all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am -

Game Explainer
Trash Talker (mainly in AT games where crushing your enemies is the aim)
Obsessive Compulsive - Always fiddling
Game Logger - I blame BGG for that one
Role Player - Especially heavy theme games like Arkham. I don't care if I win but if I'm the booze hound I'm gonna play accordingly!

What annoys me -

Thought I wasn't going to be annoyed by any of the gamer types at first as it is more personality types that get on my nerves.

Almost chose AP players but then realised we only have one (besides myself) but I trash talk the hell out of him and I enjoy that.

Went with the Traitor. To me hurting others before helping oneself is an example of sub-obtimal play. Worse still I think it can lead to King Making and I hate that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallet Ranger wrote:
dogzard wrote:

The wikipedic gamer?

Hope your more accurate with your answers than the thing from which the name is taken though....

The Rules Librarian. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:

Rules Guru

At least that's what I prefer to be called.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben - Another great poll.

I had to go with the

Random Strategizer - I like to try new things each time I play

Game Logger - I am the one in the group that keeps track of everything played.

I really do not like the Traitor. Hurting others in spite of yourself is not smart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a trash talker, random strategizer(mainly to figure out how the game ticks and sometimes to be different), an Role-player(with the right group though I role play to liven things up or am just extremely social), and a traitor(I like people to feel my pain and I'm evil).

I want to pick more than one for the people I hate. Rules Lawyers, APers, and the I know everything people. Those people grind against me. Also rude people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Llama
United States
Milligan College
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kinda the rules lawyer because I like everyone to play by the rules. Its very hard to plan ahead whenever opponents try to do things they aren't allowed to do according to the rules. I usually wait until after the game and clarify the issues, though.

Most of all, I'm the role-player. My Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game and Arkham Horror games usually come with narration. Sadly, even my Berserker Halflings from the Dungeon of Dragons games come with action scenes as characters are taken down by monsters. Its usually good for a laugh or two though.

I can't stand the Analysis Paralysis gamers. Maybe its because I've mostly played against one in particular and the game we often played was HeroClix. However, he'd take 10-15 minutes to make a move and his team choices were always frustrating to play against teams. Granted, his AP paid off and his teams were usually victorious, but it left a negative impact on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.