Popular Tags: [View All]
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if anyone else pre-ordered BSG from Buy.com. I did, and have yet to receive mine. The order is stuck on "In the Shipping Process", and after repeated email inquiries, I finally got a mostly-unhelpful reply. Seems they're having problems getting them from the distributor and they have no idea when it will ship. I'm getting a bad feeling as I see the game in stock elsewhere, and it's listed as "Temporarily Sold Out" on their site now. I'd just cancel and buy elsewhere, but I basically got it for free with their Buy.com credit card offer (I needed a card anyway).

So... Did anyone else order from them, and if so, did you get yours yet? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

[As an aside, I've had great experiences with pre-orders on Amazon.com. I'll definitely be using them for small pre-orders (one of two games) in the future.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I didn't do it with BSG, I have used them in the past, for FFG games and expansions. Everything worked out fine for those orders. Granted, I didn't experience any hiccups like you have, either.

On the other hand, I've been screwed by Amazon with similar preorders for FFG products.

Seems we've had inverse experiences!

Good luck with your BSG order, though. I hope you get it soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I made the mistake of pre-ordering from them. Last time I ever make an order from that terrible company. They have a policy that you "cannot cancel pre-orders". That policy alone is enough for me to never want to purchase anything from them again. I wrote them an email asking to cancel the order anyway. About 10 days later they write back and say "oh we can't cancel it because its already in the shipping process". Which of course it said from the moment I placed the pre-order with them. So then 2 days later, it shipped. It is supposedly on its way to me now, according the the USPS tracking number they provided. The actual ship date was 12/2 for mine. I've already bought a copy locally and will just end up trading or selling this buy.com purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, as I said, I won't be buying from buy.com again. It was my first non-game store order and my last. I did it b/c of some posting on the deals group here with a cheap price. ($28 shipped)

As far as where to buy from to best support the community, I'd say the FLGS is the best bet, if you have one in your area. I have been buying exclusively from mine lately, with this buy.com order being my only online order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
Hi:

**Just my 2 cents**

I was wondering why ordering or pre-ordering with Thought Hammer or Boulder Games was not a possibility? I have never had a shipping or order issue with either company (after $100s of sales with both).

I bought Battlestar Galatica from Boulder on Saturday, and it should be delivered today. I got BG for $36 and change. That was a VERY low price.

We should try to keep these specialty guys in business--they are focused on our gamer needs and usually they have the hottest games faster than Amazon et al.

Plus, you can talk to the owner at Boulder or ThoughtHammer directly, if necessary.

And, just to disclose, I have also bought $1000s of items from Amazon and Buy.com.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Yes, I've tried ThoughtHammer and several others before. I do generally try to order from game stores (both online and locally), but for single items, this was a cheaper option with free shipping. It was actually the first time I pre-ordered through a big online retailer. You're definitely right about better service at the smaller guys. I've had great luck with ThoughtHammer in the past, as well as GameSurplus (Thor is awesome), SuperHeroGameLand, CoolStuffInc and TimeWellSpent. And I do have a nice FLGS that I make the trip out to a couple times a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob wrote:
I agree, as I said, I won't be buying from buy.com again. It was my first non-game store order and my last. I did it b/c of some posting on the deals group here with a cheap price. ($28 shipped)

As far as where to buy from to best support the community, I'd say the FLGS is the best bet, if you have one in your area. I have been buying exclusively from mine lately, with this buy.com order being my only online order.

I also like to support my FLGS, but as the one I go to is full MSRP, I can't afford to buy all my games there. However, I do try to purchase a few a year from them, especially around the holidays or my birthday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:

Just checked my order status tonight (for the hundreth time), and it now shows the following

Quote:
1 shipped on 12/9/2008

That's a good sign, I think. Looks like I might get it in time for Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
clloyd09 wrote:

I do generally try to order from game stores (both online and locally), but for single items, this was a cheaper option with free shipping.

I guess this experience proves the addage, "You get what you pay for."

And reinforces my position of never pre-ordering. My sister bought this for me for my birthday last week. She ordered a Buy It Now listing on eBay and paid for it on Sunday, and I received it that Wednesday. That kind of turn-around was worth the $10 more paid than the Buy.com pre-order price.

Hope it all works out for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in the "I'm never going to buy.com again!" crowd. The low pre-order price suckered me in, but the frustration has not killed me but made me wiser. I agree that it is not worth what you save especially considering supporting the FOGS (I don't have a FLGS). Gamesurplus, Thoughthammer and Board & Bits have all been awesome to me in the past and will continue to get my business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.