Scott Woods
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In one word: Depends.

I'm not what you'd call a hardcore gamer, though my closet has a pretty impressive board game collection compared to most closets. I can go a week or so without pulling one out,but if I go to party and someone pulls something out, I'm the first one in line, no matter what the game is.

Anyhow, AH is by and large one of the most comprehnsively immersive games I've ever played, with its compelling theme, vast game board, impressive range of potential strategies and incrdible art work. Even if you aren't hip to the game's literary origins, that knowledge is not required to play the game. It stands on its own and it does so with great andgrandgame construction, as well as a buffet of interactions and experiences.

There is no short version of this game (set-up will take you a good fifteen minutes), even after you decipher the rules and turn phases. Don't be put-off by the rules; they're harmless so long as you take your time and try them out. It took me about four games before all of the rules locked for me at the same time. Now that I have it down, I am even more thoroughly engaged with each play.

Unlike a lot of games that tout one-player modes, this one really works well in single player mode, thanks in great measure to the cooperative nature of the game. It's not like you're playing against anyone but the monsters in the game, so playing with more than one character by yourself is okay and encouraged. I like playing games whenever I want, so having a strong one-player game handy is a big plus on AH's behalf.

It's heavy, it's got lots of rules and it's expensive. It's not an easy play out of the box. It is, however, worth every penny, and with expansion sets available to dice up the action, it's hard to turn it down. It's a full night of entertainment, and I highly recommend it for anyone who likes their games with a little meat on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the good perspective Scott. I just bought this game today at my local B&N with the 20% off discount and will most likely be playing it solo as cannot imagine that it would be interesting to my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Wadsworth

Valparaiso
Indiana
msg tools
Nice pick up at B&N! You might be surprised by your wife. My wife, who is not much of a gamer, plays AH with me once a week. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoodster
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife loves it too. Although she calls it Buffy the Vampire Slayer: the boardgame. It's rare that she asks to play a boardgame, but when she does she asks for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woods
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
Thanks for the good perspective Scott. I just bought this game today at my local B&N with the 20% off discount and will most likely be playing it solo as cannot imagine that it would be interesting to my wife.

No problem!

It's funny: I first saw it at B&N and mulled it over for a few days before I picked it up. At the price, I really had to think about it. In the end, I picked it up at my local gaming store (support your local gamers and all that), and once I set it up it was realyl hard for me to put back in the box.

A word on playing solo: do it! It's awesome that way, thoughif you can sucker your wife into at least trying to play it with you, it helps. I did the same thing and my wife will doa couple of games back to back in one night, though she's less hesitant to hit it more than a day in a row.

Of course, if she sees me playingit solo, she inquires about how far in I am because she wants to play. Hooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woods
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clintwadsworth wrote:
Nice pick up at B&N! You might be surprised by your wife. My wife, who is not much of a gamer, plays AH with me once a week. Have fun!

I'm in the same boat, so me and the solo game have become very closely acquainted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Hansey
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stoodster wrote:
My wife loves it too. Although she calls it Buffy the Vampire Slayer: the boardgame. It's rare that she asks to play a boardgame, but when she does she asks for this one.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer.....that's cute. It was a good show!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stoodster wrote:

where did you find these creatures? my wife refuses to play any game that has any sort of theme or meat of any kind to it. I guess its her lack of imagination.

I think I need a new wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.