Viktory II» Forums » Variants

Subject: Viktory II, Secret Missions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B S
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I've devised a variant utilizing 'Secret Mission' cards (similar to Nexus Ops).

(I will upload the cards [fronts and backs] to the file section).

When you achieve the goal of a card, you play it for the points indicated. Use normal rules, except for these additions:

At the beginning of the game, each player receives 1 "secret mission" card.

You may only play cards during your turn. You may play any number of blue cards at any time that you meet the criteria; you may play only one red card per battle WON.

You may discard 1 card before a battle to gain an additional pre-battle bombardment dice.
- only pre-battle, not long-range bombardment
- may use even if there are no artillery/frigates involved
- may use as many cards as you wish (1 card=1 dice )

You may discard 2 cards to increase any unit's movement by 1 movement-point.

At the end of your turn, you receive 1 new "secret mission" card.

You also receive 1 "secret mission" card each time an opponent conquers one of your settlements.

The first person to accumulate 12 points wins.

(I used the Avery 8871 business card paper to print the cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! I hope to try out the cards soon. Just as soon as they get uploaded. Thanks for your work on this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I think I'm going to try to get someone to spice the cards up a bit. More like Nexus Ops. More colorful, for those with color printers. Your set will be good for trying them out, and for those with B+W printers. Does that sound fine with you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
the cards do utilize color, but you are right, they aren't anything fancy. if you can 'spice them up' that would be sweet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted a potential first draft of the mission card back.

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A pdf for both A4 and US letter scalings are with Admin now for prettier versions of the Secret mission cards.

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Secret Mission cards of Nexus Ops, and these cards look fun! Smartly conceived, and beautifully designed. (I appreciate Howitzer and Goldenturkey's graphically 'spiced-up' ones; but I think Hyperdown's original ones look great too, and really appreciate that they can be easily printed on Avery business-card paper, eliminating the need to cut and paste them onto other cards.)

How have they worked out in practice for Viktory II?
I imagine that they would solve the main complaint I have about Viktory II (which is that games can go on forever).
But I also imagine that they will make things more chaotic (as people make unexpected moves in order to meet card conditions), and that much of the strategic spatial component of the game (which I love) will lose its importance.

How long do games tend to last with the cards in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking over the cards, I'm impressed by how well balanced they seem! Even the names are nifty: "Roar of Cannon", "Master of the Seas", "Davey Jones's Locker", "Unbridled Expansion"--just plain cool.

Some thoughts:

(1) I notice that Cavalry have additional cards just for them (the Cavalry Maneuver cards).... Since I think Cavalry are a little less powerful than Artillery in the vanilla game, I'm glad to see these additional cards: I think they'll make Cavalry a bit more desirable than they would be otherwise, and help balance them vis-a-vis artillery. Was that the logic governing the inclusion of these cavalry-only cards? If so, nice job!

(2) I love the idea that you get victory points for taking an opponent's capital, but that he gets to relocate his capital in return. Smart.

(3) Awesome idea to do away with separate decks of Secret Mission and Energizer cards (as Nexus Ops has), so that the Secret Mission cards for Viktory actually perform both functions: allow you to get points for fulfilling their conditions, but can also be exchanged for additional movement/combat powers. Brilliant.

Two questions about tinkering:

(A) I'm thinking of changing the criteria for "Master of the Seas", from having twice as many ships afloat as any other player, to having two more ships afloat than any other player. This will make it harder to play for cheap points early, when opponents only have one frigate each.

(B) I'm thinking of allocating extra cards at the beginning to make up for disadvantages in turn order: for example, stipulating that the first player starts the game with 1 Secret Mission card; the second player starts with 2; the third with 3; etc.

Any thoughts on these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The port town one needs to be changed to only 1 VP though. If a town/city has 2 water hexes next to it - it's a port town!

Like your ideas. I have the base files, so I can edit them as needed.
Try them out, and if they seem to work better than the originals, I'll see about getting those changes in there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
thanks mont, for the kudos. i'm sure your rules modifications could be helpful, try them out!

chris and andrew, excellent work on the prettier cards. they look gorgeous, but it's a shame they can't be printed on a pre-perforated card stock like the original version that i put together. (alas, i just realized that my original cards require a font which doesn't come by default on vista systems, monotype corsiva. it's freely downloadable.)

anyway, glad some folks seem to like the idea; i certainly find it more fun than 'stock' victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.