Popular Tags: [View All]
Donna Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, as I am known to do, I was hanging out waiting for a friend at one of the awesome FLGS in my city yesterday. I'm friends with most of the staff there, so I was just sort of chitchatting with employees when this middle-aged couple walked in. I was immediately charmed when the man walked over to the dice and said, "Look honey! How cool is this! I've never seen dice with so many sides!"

The started perusing some of the items on the shelves but after a few idle minutes, they came up to the counter and the woman said, "I'm looking for a board game for my brother..."

Now, the employee at the counter was someone I knew, but I also knew he didn't know all that much about board games. He led him over to the shelf with Catan and a few other more popular Euro games but I got the feeling that they wanted some, you know, experienced advice. So I decided, what the heck, and walked over.

Now, one of the more knowledgeable employees at the store showed up but he hadn't played a lot of board games either and was sort of half-heartedly suggesting the Catan card game for a good 2-player. He ended up saying, "Well... not that many games play with 2" in which she replied quickly with, "Well, MONOPOLY plays with 2." At that point, I decided to speak up and chat with the woman a bit, which proved to be a great experience!

It turned out she was looking for a 2-player with some strategy but not overly complex. I looked around and saw Fjords and said that it made a good 2-player but she didn't sound that sold. Then on a whim, I started talking about Pandemic.

Her eyes lit up! That was so cool. The woman seemed thrilled at the theme and when I explained some of the mechanics and how it was a cooperative game and not competitive, she was absolutely sold. She asked a few more questions like, "Does it play with more than 2?" and heartily thanked me for my suggestion. I said, "I don't actually work here! I'm just an avid board gamer" and she said, "They should hire you RIGHT AWAY."

I was just thrilled I got to introduce an enthusiastic gamer to Pandemic. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to go Donna! Did you also tell her about Tuesday nights? You could even teach it to her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Naturally the store will be giving you a break on your next purchase . . .

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
Way to go Donna! Did you also tell her about Tuesday nights? You could even teach it to her.

Oh! I didn't! Should have thought of that. :) I would have been happy to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strecker
United States
Murrieta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ced1106 wrote:
All they end up with when I talk to them is Apples to Apples. GO YOU!!! laughthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

A two player session of Apples to Apples. Thrilling. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I swear I help move more copies of the new Fluxx Advanced Squad Leader this way than any other game.

They come in, look around, stare at the games without seeing, and then I swoop in and bequeath unto them my carnal knowledge of games.

Do you like Fluxx I ask? They usually say no, the heathens. "You're in for a treat!" I exclaim, and then tell them all about the new edition called Fluxx Advanced Squad Leader. Pretty soon they're asking "Is it like, you know.. Scrabble or Clue?"

"No no," says I, "it's more like life. In a realistic sense."

"Oh, you mean the The Game of Life? I loved that when I was a kid," not under understanding my subtle hint because I was speaking and not typing and using hyperlinks. They didn't notice the lower case L I had slipped in there in my clever way.

By this time they're already at the register, dropping their 30 bones on what will soon be an addiction that gives even heroin a run for its money down on the docks of Catan. The streets can be a cruel place, and the FLGS even crueler.

I swear this is all true..... ninja

PS: Way to go Donna!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Too much luck in Fluxx Advanced Squad Leader.

I had a similar situation a couple of years back at The Family Game Store in Savage Mill, Maryland. The place was absolutely mobbed with customers (remember the old days?) and two of the kids were working the place and trying their best to keep up. There was a couple there just looking for "a game." "Something different." They had no clue what they wanted and had something truly awful in their hands. I don't recall what it was but I remember thinking they'd get three pages into the rulebook and give up. I went to the standard shelf and showed them Carc and they were very happy when I spent 30 seconds explaining the play. They were a similar age to me, though certainly from a different slice of the community.

In this case I have no doubt the staff would have covered them had there been enough cycles for them to do so. It's a family store and in my opinion the kids do a better job with the customers than the owner. He tends to be a bit gruff at times in spite of truly having your best interests at heart. With the general public I think the key is to not come off with any aire of expertise whatsoever. It's important that they think you have experience, but that you don't drive them in a particular direction, at least not have it appear to them that way.

Have you considered that both of you being members of the fairer sex may have brought a bit of extra trust into the mix?

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.