Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Introduction
Fasten your seat-belts ladies and gentlemen, because we are about to embark on the ultimate TI experience. That’s right, 8 players and 8 hours allotted purely for the destruction of worlds. This will be my first session report posted online, so I’m gonna try my best to get it right the first time! By reading this report, you’ll gain access to in depth player profiles of the 8 people participating in the game this Saturday, and an entertaining play by play of the action that ultimately commences. Believe it or not, all 8 people have played 3 or more games of TI! So be prepared for some intense power struggles between quite a few able contenders. Hope you enjoy the show!

Mission Briefing
Stardate: 6 December 2008 [10:00 a.m. thru 6:00 p.m.]
Occasion: My birthday party
Objective: As admiral of the Federation fleets, to bring peace to the galaxy by uniting (or crushing) my seven other rivals and ultimately to claim the divine right to the Imperial throne.

Game Variants
Sabotage Runs
Shattered Empire Strategy Cards Only
Shattered Empire Objectives Only
Race-Specific Technologies
Artifacts
Shock Troops
Space Mines
The Wormhole Nexus
Facilities
Tactical Retreats
Voice of the Council

Set-up
Knowing the long nature of big TI games, I took some precautions to shave off some time. Before the game date, I asked every player one by one their top two choices for a race. Once they chose, I then asked them to pick a number 1 through 8, excluding the numbers that had been previously chosen by players I had already asked. In this manner, players had effectively but unknowingly chosen their position on the board. Opting against a pre-set map simply because the galaxy just seems to synthetic, I will virtually have everything else set up before the players start arriving. With the information I had acquired beforehand, I will be able to set out race sheets out with every appropriate unit, command counter, and starting technology, as well as laying down home systems in their general location in the galaxy. I will be able to shuffle all the cards beforehand as well as preparing all objectives and other items in the public area. Since politics is going to be insane with 8 people, I will bring a notepad and pen to keep a tally of an agenda’s votes.

Player Profiles
In Position 1 my longtime rival, Nathan, is driving the zealous war machine behind the Yin Brotherhood. In every way a superior tactician, he is by far a better strategist than most board game players out there. I would easily consider him my equal as a vying player for the throne, and at many times his steady strategy far exceeds my own. He and I share 95% of TI victories. Deliberate, peaceful and calculating, Nathan has won most of his games never firing a shot on the offense. By the time you realize he is about to win, his homeworld is usually hopelessly well-defended by a slew of perimeter system forces. With Shattered Empires, his defensive nature has even managed to efficiently accommodate the new war-like features that players are forced to adhere by. Commanding the endless forces of the Greyfire clones, Nathan has self-proclaimed himself for this game the “Killer of all things War Sun.” But knowing him, it very well could be a ploy to hide his deeper sinister intentions.

Strengths: He is one of the few players who understands the importance of VPs over huge fleets and campaigns to crush your neighbor. He also deliberately never talks strategy out loud even if he thinks no one can stop him. He only talks when the fat lady has sung. He also functions well when the galaxy suffers universally from restricting laws.

Weaknesses: He never lies and will never backstab. Where this may be a weakness, he makes up for it with his uncanny ability to trick his opponents by omitting important information in his truthful statements. With many resources and things to manage, he tends to make critical errors.

Battlecry: “That’s it, I’m opening the black box!”

In Position 2 we have the first of two brothers, Jacob, commanding the battle hardened swarms of the Sardakk N’orr. Of the three times Jacob has played TI with us, he has always been the bugs and has acquired a personal playing style that is feared by all. Attack first, worry about strategy later. Extremely intelligent and fun-loving, the fun-loving side of him tends to dominate his playing experience as he joyously collects technology along the path of War Sun tech in order to obliterate his already weaker enemies. At this point in Jacob’s TI maturity, I couldn’t see him as a threat for the throne unless his secret objective was non-Mecatol related. But no one can deny that War Sun wielding bugs are a military threat that can overkill any fleet that is stupid (or unfortunate) enough to get in their way. As you can guess, I am more than pleased that my rival Nathan is one of Jacob’s neighbors.

Strengths: Strong grasp of the game mechanics and strong understanding of how to make ships and planets burn.

Weaknesses: Happy-go-lucky disregard of VP if it happens to interfere with his military agenda. Has trouble preparing offensives ahead of time and often is late to deploy his War Sun armada.

Battlecry: “My War Suns attack with 2’s!”

In Position 3, Aaron, Jacob’s older brother is taking a stab at the Imperial throne by means of being ridiculously good looking. Donning giant earrings and a purple outfit, Aaron will be playing the male models and going Winnu for the win. This guy, Aaron, is extremely strategic and has a wicked cool pony-tail. And he takes forever to take his turn. But because of his sloth-like supercomputer calculating process, he rarely makes mistakes. The most glorious game I played with him involved him being the Yssaril and whenever he started to take to long to take his turn, we would all shout, “Take your fake pass!” He actually should of won that game by Imperium Rex, but by some sneaky maneuvering, I somehow convinced my friend Eric to attack his home system for the heck of it. The maneuver prevented Aaron from getting one point, where he would have attained ten, enabling me to do a come from behind jump to reach ten points where I would of lost had Aaron kept his ten because of tie-breaker rules. All in all, Aaron is no pushover. He has never won a game before, but any given game I know he could pull it off.

Strengths: His critical mistakes are often too few to speak of.

Weaknesses: While more VP-minded than his brother and also more experienced, he’s still only played a few complete games. That being said, his experience level could be a hindrance for endgame mechanics when everything comes into play. Especially when he’s never played a full game of Shattered Empires before.

Battlecry: “Give me just a second…”

In Position 4, we have Zac leading the privateering forces of the Mentak Coalition. With the Shattered Empires boost to the race, every player in our group covets the opportunity to rumble in the jungle with these bad boys. With a phenomenal racial tech, people were groaning when they found out they had to be the Mentak’s neighbors. Fairly new to our board gaming group, Zac tends to be on the more passive side of board gaming and has yet to pose a serious threat to the throne.

Strengths: This guy will not be swayed by fantastic rhetoric. He does whatever he wants in the game whenever he wants. He simply refuses to be used as a puppet for the “grander” schemes of the major throne contenders.

Weaknesses: He is the least aggressive player of the eight and rarely invests too much to gain VP. Zac also has never played a full game of Shattered Empires.

Battlecry: “Can’t we all just get along?”

In Position 5 stands my good buddy, Eric, who if I had to make a custom superlative for it would be, “Most likely to bite someone in the jugular.” Appropriately, Eric is commanding the nomadic werewolf Clan of Saar. Eric has been part of my board gaming group since it started and has faithfully stood by my side on many campaigns where we dominated lightning fast games of team Risk 2210 AD. But ever since we started playing TI, the individual nature of the game has left us no choice but to turn on each other, leaving our in-game relationship shaky at best. Mostly a defensive player, Eric can on a dime be a ruthless offensive powerhouse. Oddly enough though, he has never won a game. Of the eight players present he is by far in the top 3 when it comes to experience, but as far as making victories happen, Nathan or I always manage to steal the throne at the last second. One thing you gotta know about Eric, is that he really enjoys to hunt. He enjoys stalking his prey, he enjoys the kill. I have a sinking feeling that one unlucky player is going to be on the receiving end of a slowly stalking space station spawning hordes of werewolf ships. Like Aaron, I have no doubt Eric could potentially win any game he participates in. He is also the only other player I know who has even attempted to pull off the extremely difficult come-from-behind 5-point jump for the win. Probably one of the most intelligent people I know, it all boils down to how much he wants it.

Strengths: A slew of experience, superb resource management, Eric also knows how to maximize his position on the board by choosing good allies. Of the dozens of TI games I’ve played with him, never once has his homesystem been taken by an opponent. If I recall, no one has ever even made a full-scale assault against him either. This is no coincidence, simply because he chooses excellent allies and knows how to build a sizable fleet to intimidate his neighbors.

Weaknesses: Eric’s endgame nearly always falls apart. He loses patience and then he loses focus. In the late hours of the game he just wants it to be over and because of this, any chance he had of still winning is usually lost.

Battlecry: “Don’t trust Jordan!”

In Position 6 we have the destroyer of worlds, the keeper of the games, and all-around board game fanatic, Jordan (myself), at the helm of the rapidly reproducing Federation of Sol. For some reason the Federation had always gotten a bad rap in my group and because of that, the humans have rarely found their way into the galaxy. But after careful study into the race’s capability with the Shattered Empires expansion, I have discovered that the Federation have a considerable technological advantage that comes into play after researching only two techs. With Hyper-metabolism, the Federation effectively have access to 4 extra command counters every status phase, not to mention the extra action card ability that comes with it, AND the homeworld fortress tech of Gen Synthesis. In a nutshell, I’ve compiled a list of what basically happens when I get Hyper-metabolism which is pretty much available in 2-3 rounds:

I virtually never need to choose the Leadership strategy by need of command counters.
I gain the strategy allocation counters necessary to create a stalling ability that rivals the Yssaril and the Winnu.
I practically gain the tech Neural Motivator by simply sacrificing a lame action card. (And there’s many!)
My ground forces become just as powerful as the L1Z1x and the Sardakk N’orr. (If they don’t research Gen Synthesis)
I pretty much gain the racial ability of the Clan of Saar by means of not having to have your homesystem simply because with Gen Synthesis, my single homesystem planet will be virtually impossible to take!

Now do you see why I’m hyping up this game? I’m going to show the group how a lower tier race can lay the hurt down. Never before has the Federation claimed the Imperial throne in our gaming group. And possibly never again will they be underestimated…

Strengths: I own TI. I know all the action cards and all the political cards. I’m the guy who knows exactly what card he wants in any given situation if ever Synchronicity, Touch of Genius, or Determine Policy comes up. I’m the guy who will always attempt to play my Direct Hit before you get to play your Emergency Repairs. If I am in last place, you can bet your bottom dollar that I’m either going for the instant win or a massive multi-point jump. I’m relentless, I’m a smooth-talker, and I make every activation count.

Weaknesses: There are too many to list. In my early games of TI, I notoriously back-stabbed my allies if it helped me gain an edge toward victory. After long renouncing my back-stabbing ways, the bad reputation still lingers and am quite often the target of negative action cards regardless of my VP status. I reveal too much strategy, especially when I think I can’t be stopped. Also many times my brilliant stratagem depends unilaterally on volatile conditions that can be foiled by a simple Sabotage card, or more commonly bad rolling. I also miss simplistic victory opportunities by focusing too much on my original long-term strategy. In a nutshell, I don’t adapt very well. My rival, Nathan, is exactly the opposite.

Battlecry: “Only if you give me a trade good!”

In Position 7 we have the fiercest opponent yet, Kendall, commanding the early-game titans, the Embers of Muatt. Kendall is the only other player in our group who has claimed a victory over Nathan and I. With such a win under his belt and now a War Sun in the holster, it displeases me to no end knowing that I have to be his neighbor in the galaxy. I will attempt to appease him with one of my trade agreements, but if he is hellbent on making Jord burn, I will have to invest heavily to stop him. (Star of Death is the only card that beats a Gen Synthesis defended Jord) Methodical in all that he does, every once in a while though he will make a move that just doesn’t make sense. Sometimes it will pan out, sometimes it won’t. All in all, I don’t want to be on the receiving end of a first strike by Muatt with Kendall at the helm. Though it would be cool to claim the Imperial throne and completely annihilate Muatt from the galaxy if at all possible. Sounds like a movie right? The humans somehow pull off two amazing sabotage runs crushing the Muatt war machine, then gaining the respect of the galaxy for saving them from the treacherous superweapon bearing lava monsters, they are elected to the Imperial seat of power! All that’s missing is my in-game friendship with Eric being rectified. Hmmm…

Strengths: He knows how to win the game, and he’s done it before. Kendall enjoys the thrill of battle and will quite often align that thrill with a decisive objective that he can accomplish along the way.

Weaknesses: Kendall has never incorporated War Sun’s into a long-term strategy, and he’s not the type to bully people around which is absolutely necessary in order to get the most out of Muatt before mid-game and endgame happens. Kendall has always been diplomatic in every early-game he’s every played, so completely altering his normal strategy could as he puts it, be very problematic.

Battlecry: “This could be problematic…”

And finally in Position 8 we have the German, or Schmidtler as we call him, directing the efforts of the Universities of Jol-Nar as they scientifically go where no man has gone before. In a 4 or 8-person game, the Jol-Nar already have a significant advantage as soon as the game begins. Technology is picked every time, and 95% of the time the Jol-Nar won’t be choosing it. Because of this, the fish-heads can virtually be any race they want to be. Economic powerhouse? No problem. Lean, mean, and green war machine? War Sun is just two techs away. Nice mix of both? Also extremely easy to pull off. This racial capability fits nicely with Schmidtler, because generally he is a wild card himself. Again generally speaking, he prefers the route that includes complete and utter nuclear destruction. So we can expect him to get his War Suns on the board as soon as he can. What happens after this is based entirely on Schmidtler’s mood. There was one game that had we continued playing to the bitter end, Schmidtler would of been the foreseeable victor. But like Eric, he also gets to the point where he just wants it to be over. With that being said, he usually gets to this point only after he has completed his major devastating offensive for the game, or rather shortly after he realizes he won’t be able to pull one off. While he may not pose a serious threat to the throne, he is always willing to push big red buttons politically and militarily. He thrives in chaos, and I am just thankful he didn’t get to be Muatt.

Strengths: He has it well established that if you piss him off in-game, you’ve effectively painted a target on your head for the remainder of your life. Schmidtler loves vengeance more than victory and while you may still care about trying to win, all Schmidtler cares about is making sure that everything you hold dear burns to the ground. In conclusion, no one crosses Schmidtler. It took countless games for me to recover from a backstab I made against him one time. And all I did was take one of his unoccupied tech specialty planets!

Weaknesses: Sometimes has a blatant disregard for VP and would much rather watch his enemies’ ships burn after a glorious battle. Easily distracted if someone crosses him.

Battlecry: “GAIETY!”

And so it begins...

Early Game
Being the bunch of studs my friends are, all eight people showed up by 10:05. Thankfully, all my pre-set up plans happened without incident and we are able to begin placing planets by 10:08. Having never played an 8-player game before, I didn't anticipate how confusing the galaxy would be in regard to home system placement.So, for the better part of twenty minutes we spent trying to set up the map. My advice to hosts for 8-player games who want to avoid pre-set maps, become very familiar with what an 8-player galaxy is going to look like so you can confidently guide the other players.

After that minor set-back, we plunged headfirst into the game. With 8 players, each person gets a hand of 6 hexes. I was unfortunate in the regard that only two of mine were planetary systems, but that poor luck was somewhat alleviated by having Lodor and the Abyz/Fria systems. (8 resources total) As to be expected, I got hammered with red and and empty systems surrounding my domain. Luckily I was able to somewhat secure my two planetary systems nearby Jord, but a supernova was placed on my western flank where the Embers of Muatt resided. Great...they can attack me, but I can't attack them. Out of good will, Eric placed a single tech planet of two resources and one influence next to me. My position was of course precarious, but it really could of been a lot worse.

Glancing at my secret objective, I breathed a sigh of relief. Threatening. With my stalling ability, I would easily be able to pull it off once everybody had passed.

First round we went through the normal rapid expansion. I nabbed Assembly so I could claim speaker token. I needed Technology next round so I could get Hypermetabolism. The first agenda that came to the table was simply amazing. It entailed that if we voted for it, every player would gain an extra command counter in the status phase. If we voted against it, everyone gained 3 trade goods. Having talked to Nathan earlier about what tech path I was taking, he knew immediately that I would be raking in 5 command counters every status phase. He also hates everyone on the board with more resources at their disposal. He quickly voiced his opinion that it would be a bad idea, and you couldn't go wrong with 3 extra trade goods. I busted out the notepad and recorded everyone's votes. Dang, it failed. The notepad works wonders though. I highly recommend using one for all your big games. But with the 3 extra trade goods, most players were able to purchase a technology first round. Technology was pivotal to my race, so I gladly jumped at the opportunity to nab XRD Transporters so that I could reach Lodor two spaces away. My first expansion moves would haul in 8 resources for next round, and would put me 2 spaces away from Mecatol Rex. "I control Mecatol Rex" was also soon to be the second public objective revealed. Just as expected, Schmidtler of the Jol-Nar sacrificed all his resources and trade goods to claim War Sun tech first round. That's disgusting. Oddly uncharacteristic of him though, he permitted all players to trade freely when he played the trade strategy. We would learn why mid-game.

Second round I claimed the Technology strategy without incident and immediately played its primary. Hypermetabolism was mine, and I still had enough trade goods and political cards to purchase some refineries and and 2 space docks at Lodor and Abyz later. I would yet to produce one additional military unit. Jord was completely defenseless as I clung to the hope that my trade agreements with Kendall and Eric were enough to keep them away for a couple rounds. We were all unprepared for what happened next when Nathan played Assembly and chose Aaron to play one of his agendas.

"Public Execution," Aaron said with authority. He read aloud what the agenda did and we all fell silent.

"That's the most powerful agenda in the deck!" I pleaded with him. "That card should be saved for the most dire of circumstances."

The players in the room nodded in agreement, all worried that they would be the target of a card that would severely cripple their entire second round expansion. At this point in the game no one had commited any heinous war crimes, everyone was still in good spirits, and we all had thriving trade agreements. What innocent expansionist leader was to have his head chopped off?

Knowing that if I didn't act soon, I was most assuredly going to be targeted for execution. So in a calm and collected manner, I addressed the council amd took a deep breath.

"What if we all abstain?"

The room was quiet for a second as we all considered the implications.

"What if whoever votes last betrays us all and chooses someone to be executed without opposition?" asks someone.

"Then we all declare war against them for the remainder of the game." I cooly reply.

"If everyone abstains though, the vote is considered a tie and the speaker decides the ultimate outcome!"

We all turn to the speaker. If there was one person I trusted to have the power to completely neuter someone in full knowledge that he wouldn't, it most definitely would be Nathan. So with an abnormally large amount of trust invested in the mob, we begin the vote.

"Abstain."
"Abstain."
"Abstain."
"Abstain."
"Abstain."
"Abstain."
"Jordan!" Schmidtler cries out in glee. "Haha, just kidding."

My heart returns to its normal beat as Nathan casts the final vote to abstain and uses his speaker power to abstain once again.

Phew. I think for the first time in the history of Twilight Imperium, all players somehow escaped unscathed from the wrath of a public execution. Looking at the members of my group, I tried to imagine how this was possible. Schmidtler the nuclear-hungry German, and Nathan my ultimate rival had both agreed to let a powerful agenda slip away into oblivion. I smiled as I recorded this event into my notepad to later help me remember what transpired when I ultimately would finish this session report. I play with a great group of guys.

Later in the round I lunged for the Mecatol Rex victory point and landed a lone ground force on the planet. There were no other ships in range as I rejoiced in my head that I wouldn't have to worry about Mecatol Rex for the remainder of the game.

"Local Unrest on Mecatol," Zac said.

There would be no persuading Zac not to play that card, for remember this guy cannot be persuaded by fantastic rhetoric. It was an excellent move and I applauded him for it. I was effectively prevented from an easy win, for the next couple rounds were sure to be conjested with seven opposing fleets with their sights set on Mecatol Rex.

Mid-game
As in all TI games, this is the part of the game were tensions rise, alliances are forged, and enemies are bitterly made. By this time, I had managed to finally start beefing up Jord and Lodor in preparation to launch an attack on some nearby artifacts. One was deeply entrenched in one of Eric's systems, who was by far the most powerful player on the board at the time. The other was located on Mallice in the Wormhole Nexus, controlled by Schmidtler and defended heavily by his dual-War Sun attack fleet ready to strike at any of the four wormholes on the board. This was by far Schmidtler's biggest strategic advantage as he managed to coerce every player on the board into giving up tons of trade goods in exchange for him not attacking deep into the heart of their poorly defended systems. Alas, I too was forced to fund Schmidtler's reign of terror.

Kendall was still tight for resources, though he and I had managed to establish a fairly stable alliance.

Aaron now had the technology for Advanced Fighters and was preparing one final master stroke before he had to leave early.

Jacob of course had finished researching War Sun tech and was busily plotting with every player in order to inflict maximum carnage.

Zac had decided to make a preemptive strike into Eric's homeworld which was virtually only effective in prodding a beehive. Not only did Eric thwart the attack, but he also returned with a larger counterstrike fleet into the Moll Primus system. He then proceeded to blockade the pirate homeworld and razed another space dock that Zac had under his control. To rub salt in the wound, he moved in one of his space docks in Zac's territory to ensure destruction would be complete next round. Dismayed and neutered, Zac then all but gave up as he resolved to leave with Aaron when the time came. Eric would now have access to the resources of two empires as he even managed to keep up with VP's along the way.

Nathan at this time had forged a shaky peace with his neighbors and was silently edging his way to make a strike at Mecatol. He had two artifacts under his control and still hadn't completed his secret objective. He was in the lead with VP's, and not having easy access to artifacts would only tie me with him after I accomplished my secret objective. The only reason I wasn't to concerned was because my SO was going to be accomplished very soon.

Late mid-game, Aaron made his masterstroke and stormed Moll Primus from Eric with a swarm of fighters and effectively had both Zac's and his home systems well-defended so that they would not be an easy target when they left.

Once Zac and Aaron did leave and everyone passed, I made my move to accomplish my SO. I had already made an arrangement with Kendall to take one of his systems adjacent to his homeworld, but Eric on the other hand I did not inform in fear that he would thrwart my plans. Sending in a single carrier with a single ground force aboard, I landed and took control of a system adjacent to a huge fleet and to Eric's homeworld as well. I had hoped that the small force would be pardoned by Eric since it wasn't a hardcore sign of aggression, but I was terribly wrong.

Endgame
Next round I received the full fury of Eric's wrath as he demanded I withdraw immediately back to my homesystem. I told him I indeed would move out, but first I had prior committments to Kendall that required my immediate attention. The withdrawal had to wait. After helping Kendall out, I was presented with an interesting situation. By playing Bureaucracy, I had a 20% of drawing Imperium Rex and immediately claiming victory because I was tied with Nathan and had qualfied more objectives than him. I could of ended the game that turn, but Eric I insisted I move out NOW and stay true to my word. I was of course going to move out, but he was convinced staying true to my word was right at that moment and not eventually during the round. I potentially could be stopped if I waited another turn, but Eric was dead serious. So I spent my turn moving out back to Jord. Next turn came round without incident and I played Bureaucracy but was unable to draw Imperium Rex.

Crap. Eric still enraged and wanting to flex his muscles, sent a swarm of ships adjacent to Jord. He said he wouldn't attack my home system, but he wanted a way to regulate my trickery. This was bad because I had run out of bribing material to ward off Schmidtler and he had decided to make a full-scale invasion against Lodor. Even Kendall was now wary of my tactics and it seemed I had enemies on all three sides. Lady luck would have it though that Schmidtler had only brought 2 ground forces with his fleet and my two PDS units that were guarding an empty planet were valiantly able to destroy them both.

Phew. I would of lost my greatest space dock and staging point to seize the artifacts for the endgame win. There was just the itsy bitsy problem of a dual-War Sun fleet blockading me at Jord's doorstep.

On the other side of the galaxy, Jacob was on high alert ready to execute a sinister plot to take Nathan's undefended home system, effectively crushing any hope he had to win the game. I had the pleasure of advising the campaign, and even a deeper satisfaction knowing that Nathan didn't see it coming. Muhahahahaaaa! Joyously moving in his own N'orr dual-War Sun fleet into Darien, Nathan's countenance immediately dropped as Jacob prepared to iniate the greatest overkill the galaxy has ever seen.

But then the unthinkable happened! Nathan somehow convinced Jacob to not attack him and instead go for the Jol Nar fleet over Lodor via the Wormhole Nexus!

Blast! I could definitely beat a Jol Nar fleet with my dreadnoughts and superior carrier and fighter forces, but not Jacob's fleet that rolled +1's!

I sadly watched the battle commence but allowed a flicker of hope to invade my mind. Jacob had not brought many fighters, and was relying on the high alert token and his War Suns to inflict 6 instant hits. Those hits indeed found their marks, but Schmidtler's fleet was much larger. Before long, the dust cleared leaving Jacob victorious but with only two damaged War Suns left. He prepared to take Lodor with his several ground forces, but I begged him to be merciful, and that I was not his enemy. Somehow the speech worked, and Lodor was spared once again.

But the battle over Lodor had one critical phase yet to commence. Kendall with his original War Sun from the beginning of the game had been patrolling the systems adjacent to Mecatol Rex. Seeing Jacob's weakened War Suns and thinking he can score a big objective by completing two space battles, he strikes where it hurts and commences the third War Sun on War Sun battle that round, shouting, "Muatt shall be the only race left on the board with a mighty War Sun!"

Kendall's fleet is indeed victorious, but the six instant hits that Jacob's N'orr War Suns inflict leave Kendall with but a single damaged War Sun left over Lodor. Thankfully, Kendall did not have any ground forces aboard.

And then I saw it.

I activated Lodor and fired my PDS units at the single damaged War Sun left in the system.

First roll.......4........blast!.......only one more roll.....
Second roll...7! Yes! The War Sun fragmented into bits as I proceeded to build in the system a fleet ready to make the artifact assaults to ensure me victory next round.

As the round ended, Nathan scored a big objective and climbed to 8 VP's. I had successfully destroyed Eric's fleet regulating Jord and was also able to attack a Yin fleet of 3 over Mecatol first turn. I also gained two VP's and tied Nathan at 8.

At this point everyone was tired of playing, for eight hours had passed by and both Eric and Kendall had given up their bid for the throne. Everyone was ready to call it, I agreed, and because of tie-breaker rules I would win. Nathan vehemently opposed stopping now, because of his position to potentially win next round as well.

But, everyone was already packing up their things and we couldn't duke it out 1v1 without other players in the mix. The strategy would be altered dramatically. So, I conceded to a draw simply because winning isn't everything and Nathan wouldn't be appeased otherwise.

All in all, really fun game and I am glad I had the experience to play an 8 player game once in my lifetime.

Hope you all enjoyed the read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent approach to setup. Stylish and smart. --DG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Rousseau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, best setup ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Howell
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
100 Years of Coast Guard Aviation!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write-up. We did almost exactly the same thing on my birthday last July; eight players with eight hours. We also pre-staged the race selection and pre-set everything the night before. We drew races at random, but if we were to do it again we'd probably give everybody some choice in the matter. It was an incredible experience in gaming.

Nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Runyan
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Sunday! Where is the rest?! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Atmaja
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woahh what a fantastic setup !!!! wow

can't wait to read the full report !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Alright everyone, sorry for the late update! But the session report is now complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Runyan
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh! A tie! I feel cheated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic post for an epic game. The one 8 player game of TI3 that I played luckily ended with a winner. Definitely a big time commitment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Compton
United States
Boiling Springs
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TI3 is such an awesome epic game. Great write up! Thanks!

We are looking at attempting an 8 player game next Tuesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Scare
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. But the rules fanatic in me must add that when a political agenda says "elect player/planet/whatever", a player/planet/whatever MUST be chosen. If everybody abstains, the one with the speaker MUST break the tie and choose someone. He cannot "use his speaker power to abstain once again".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Interesting Red. Well, I will make sure we don't make that mistake again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.