Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wong
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I select Consume to get points or trade, MUST the other players consume if they have goods (i.e. have goods and have powers, that say convert 3 cards to a point, in the consume phase)? Or is it like Development and Settle where you have the option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
IV. Consume

Action: All players must use their consume powers to discard goods for victory points chips and/or card draws.

Emphasis from the original rules.

Further down: "Consumption is mandatory. However, consume powers can be invoked in any desired order, even if this results in some unconsumed goods..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikey384 wrote:
If I select Consume to get points or trade, MUST the other players consume if they have goods (i.e. have goods and have powers, that say convert 3 cards to a point, in the consume phase)? Or is it like Development and Settle where you have the option?
John answered your question pretty well. I just have to ask which card converts 3 goods into a point? I ask because a lot of people misinterpret the consume a good into a point up to 3 times as consume 3 goods for a point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
mikey384 wrote:
John answered your question pretty well. I just have to ask which card converts 3 goods into a point? I ask because a lot of people misinterpret the consume a good into a point up to 3 times as consume 3 goods for a point.
There's also Diversified Economy that converts 3 DIFFERENT goods into 3 points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wong
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
mikey384 wrote:

You're right...we misunderstood that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okay, i have a quick question related...

there's a card (i forget what it is) that has a consume power of 'consume' all goods and get that many victory points -1.

I interpret the rules to mean that no matter what, whenever a consume phase is played, you are going to use all your goods (because of this card)

not necessarily through this card, but eventually it will clear out all goods

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Pilgrimage World will eat all your goods eventually, unless you consume them with other powers first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lj1983 wrote:
okay, i have a quick question related...

there's a card (i forget what it is) that has a consume power of 'consume' all goods and get that many victory points -1.

I interpret the rules to mean that no matter what, whenever a consume phase is played, you are going to use all your goods (because of this card)

not necessarily through this card, but eventually it will clear out all goods
Yep. If you're desperate for consume powers, that could work. A shame to see players with 3 to 6 different goods but no Consume powers shake

Otherwise, I have gotten Pilgrammage World on the last round of a game during Explore. It costs 0 for 2VP, so horray for that freebie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wong
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK...a consume strategy question. Let's say I get a few production worlds and so does another person. I assume I would have to make sure I pull trigger first with the x2 consume card before the other person; otherwise, if the other person did it first, I would have to consume and only get regular x1 consume powers. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikey384 wrote:
I assume I would have to make sure I pull trigger first with the x2 consume card before the other person; otherwise, if the other person did it first, I would have to consume and only get regular x1 consume powers. Correct?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tyler
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Pilgrimage World, can you lose points with this card? All consume powers are mandatory, and all powers must be activated in any order of your choosing. So, if I activate Pilgrimage World when I have no goods, do I earn -1 vp (zero cards - 1)? I've never played it that way, but I can see that it would make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topherbear wrote:
Regarding Pilgrimage World, can you lose points with this card? All consume powers are mandatory, and all powers must be activated in any order of your choosing. So, if I activate Pilgrimage World when I have no goods, do I earn -1 vp (zero cards - 1)? I've never played it that way, but I can see that it would make sense.
Don't think so. At least that's not how any of us played it.

"discard remaining goods...." seems to imply that you need to physically have a good to discard to activate that Consume power. I suppose one could argue that you're discarding 0 goods, but the logic of it seems to go against that.

It's like someone who starts off a bid of -$30. It COULD be done, but not in most auction games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topherbear wrote:

You can't consume 0 goods for -1 VP any more than you can consume 0 goods for 1 (or more) VP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Correct; invoking Pilgrimage's world's Consume power requires having at least one *remaining* good to consume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the title and thought this thread was for some sort of drinking game variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tyler
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for confirming that I cannot lose points with Pilgrimage World. It makes sense with the rest of the game mechanics. The first time I saw this card, I thought you lost -N points for consuming N cards as opposed to collecting N-1 points. I couldn't figure out any reason to play this world, except in the last turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
topherbear wrote:
Thanks for confirming that I cannot lose points with Pilgrimage World. It makes sense with the rest of the game mechanics. The first time I saw this card, I thought you lost -N points for consuming N cards as opposed to collecting N-1 points. I couldn't figure out any reason to play this world, except in the last turn.

Yeah, pretty much the big reason for playing this card is when you just don't come across any cards with Consume powers (or not many) but you are producing lots of goods.

Its probably the most inefficient Consume power around, but at least it (could) help. I know its saved my bacon a couple of times even mid-game where I had 4 or more goods getting produced, no Consume powers, and I'm really starting to want some of those VP chips from Consume 2xVP and Production combos. Even 4 goods would still equal 6 VPs with Consume 2xVP...

And you can always select the Consume power of Pilgrimage World after first using your other Consume powers should you end up finding and playing other cards with Consume powers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Correct; invoking Pilgrimage's world's Consume power requires having at least one *remaining* good to consume.

I've always had a question regarding the word *remaining* here: this seems to imply that unlike other consume powers, and as clearly expressed in the rulebook I can't choose to consume with pilgrimage world first, it always has to come last.

Now some of you will say: why on Earth would you want to consume everything with Pilgrimage World if you have other more efficient consume powers? Well because there are some consume powers that give you only cards...what if I want to maximize points? If I have two goods, Pilgrimage and another power that consumes a good for two cards but I'd rather have the point (let's say I'm double x2), it may be better than consume a good for two cards and then lose the remaining good for no VPs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...a consume strategy question. Let's say I get a few production worlds and so does another person. I assume I would have to make sure I pull trigger first with the x2 consume card before the other person; otherwise, if the other person did it first, I would have to consume and only get regular x1 consume powers. Correct?

Hoe does this apply to solo play against the Robot? If the player chooses Consume X2 does that Consume come before the Robot if Robot selects Consume-Trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:

I've always had a question regarding the word *remaining* here: this seems to imply that unlike other consume powers, and as clearly expressed in the rulebook I can't choose to consume with pilgrimage world first, it always has to come last.

Now some of you will say: why on Earth would you want to consume everything with Pilgrimage World if you have other more efficient consume powers? Well because there are some consume powers that give you only cards...what if I want to maximize points? If I have two goods, Pilgrimage and another power that consumes a good for two cards but I'd rather have the point (let's say I'm double x2), it may be better than consume a good for two cards and then lose the remaining good for no VPs!

At least one remaining good because you could have used other consume powers before Pilgrimage World, but you don't have to. There is no special rule with Pilgrimage World as far as ordering, other than the fact that Pilgrimage World will consume all of the goods you currently have when activated. Which means other consume powers that require goods will be useless after firing Pilgrimage World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:

Hm? Where does the rulebook imply this?

You can consume with the Pilgrimage world first if you please. You'll find that, excepting Deficit Spending and the like, this will also make it the last Consume you do that turn (because all of the other consume-a-good powers will find themselves with a distinct lack of fuel...)

There's no limit on ordering. You can fire Pilgrimage World first if that's what you want to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
colmenarez wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:

Sorry bad phrasing, I meant to say that the rulebook clearly states that you can choose the order of your consume powers, but that the *remaining* wording on Pilgrimage World seemed to imply that it was an exception to the rule, that it came last in consume powers. It's a stretch but since I have to read business requirements documents in my line of work it's not uncommon for me to try to find hidden meanings in phrases and paragraphs...

Quote:
You can consume with the Pilgrimage world first if you please. You'll find that, excepting Deficit Spending and the like, this will also make it the last Consume you do that turn (because all of the other consume-a-good powers will find themselves with a distinct lack of fuel...)

There's no limit on ordering. You can fire Pilgrimage World first if that's what you want to do.

Admittedly, there are few cases where I'd want to do this: only if some or all of my other consume powers gave me cards only and I'm interested in getting VPs. It's good to know I can do it if I want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
herendil66 wrote:
Hoe does this apply to solo play against the Robot? If the player chooses Consume X2 does that Consume come before the Robot if Robot selects Consume-Trade?

Yes, as in a multiplayer game, there's never more than one Consume phase per turn. When playing against the Robot, you always take your actions for the phase first before running the Robot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:
thatmarkguy wrote:
colmenarez wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:

Sorry bad phrasing, I meant to say that the rulebook clearly states that you can choose the order of your consume powers, but that the *remaining* wording on Pilgrimage World seemed to imply that it was an exception to the rule, that it came last in consume powers. It's a stretch but since I have to read business requirements documents in my line of work it's not uncommon for me to try to find hidden meanings in phrases and paragraphs...

RftG is pretty well worded and "symbol-ed" for the most part. I can see why that wording you mentioned may imply that that's the exepction to the "Consume in any order you wish" rule.

colmenarez wrote:
Admittedly, there are few cases where I'd want to do this: only if some or all of my other consume powers gave me cards only and I'm interested in getting VPs. It's good to know I can do it if I want to.

Another case is if you have cards that let you draw cards if you produce on them... System Diversity (1-4), Consumer Markets (0 or more), Lost Species Ark World (2), Gem World (1), Mining World (1), and Comet World (1) are among some of them. It may be worth it to clear off those goods if you know someone else will call Produce for you. You could sell them, but sometimes, you'd rather pick another action then Consume Trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today one player inadvertently found his Pilgrimage World eating his last good for no VPs during every Consume phase. If there is exactly one good to be consumed, Pilgrimage World consumes it for 0 VP -- right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.