Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

BGG member cvonh created a recent thread in the Risk forums which discussed the fact that Hasbro is not marketing a Risk game for young ladies.

I can fix that.

Introduction

This is a Risk variant called Risk: Hannah Montanah Edition. It features teen superstar Hannah Montanah traveling around the world as she leads a life of glamour and excitement.

Each player represents a "journalist" running a supermarket tabloid. The army playing pieces represent paparazzi, the photographers who will stalk a young celebrity in hopes of catching her driving erratically or experiencing a wardrobe malfunction. The city playing pieces represent airports. Each complete game turn represents one year.

I used a copy of the new version of Risk but any edition will work.

You will need to create your own Hannah Montanah token. For some strange reason I could not find an image of the hugely popular Hannah Montanah in the BGG database so I drew this stick figure and placed it on a clear plastic base:

Hannah begins the game off board while spending 28 days at an undisclosed location near Palm Springs.

Place one airport playing piece in each of these twelve areas: China, Eastern United States, Great Britain, Japan, Western Europe, Western United States, Australia, Brazil, East Africa, Greenland, India, and Siberia:

Each player will also need four poker chips or coins. Each coin represents $1 million in bonus money that the tabloid executive can earn during the game.

Play

Risk: Hannah Montanah Edition is played exactly like classic Risk with just a couple of exceptions.

The basic rules for obtaining army units paparazzi, placing new units, movement, and "battle" are essentially unchanged.

Instead of using the term "battle" the paparazzi playing pieces are "assigned" to cover an area of the board by the editor. They struggle for domination with other paparazzi guarding their own celebrity hot spots. The combat procedure is identical to classic Risk.

Risk Cards

No cards are used in Risk: Hannah Montanah Edition. If a player is able to dominate a new area during a turn he or she will receive one bonus coin. Failure to dominate a new area does not affect play in any other fashion.

The Concert Tour

After a player has finished his or her turn Hannah Montanah will go on a concert tour. Each concert tour has two separate phases. The first element is the Let’s Party! Phase and the second element is the Public Relations Phase.

Let’s Party!

During the Let’s Party! Phase the player who just finished moving will roll one D6 and consult this chart to find out where the A-List people are gathering:

1 = China -- Party in Beijing!
2 = Eastern United States -- Party in New York City!
3 = Great Britain -- Party in London!
4 = Japan -- Party in Tokyo!
5 = Western Europe -- Party in Paris!
6 = Western United States -- Party in Hollywood!

Move the Hannah Montanah token to the area indicated. The player dominating that area with paparazzi receives three additional playing pieces immediately.

Public Relations

The lifestyle of a fabulously wealthy pop idol can be quite stressful, often resulting in chemical dependence or emotional issues. After a cycle of unfavorable media coverage it is usually a good idea to do some public relations damage control. The player who just finished moving will roll one D6 and consult this chart to find out where Hannah will announce her next photo opportunity:

1 = Australia -- Preserve the Great Barrier Reef
2 = Brazil -- Protect the rain forest.
3 = East Africa -- Feed orphans in Darfur
4 = Greenland -- Rescue polar bears
5 = India -- Work with lepers
6 = Siberia -- Save endangered tigers

Move the Hannah Montanah token to the area indicated. The player dominating that area with paparazzi receives three additional playing pieces immediately.

Each of the other players follows the identical procedure at the end of his or her turn.

Winning The Game

Risk: Hannah Montanah Edition lasts four complete turns. After four years Hannah will no longer be a teenager… but she will probably still be a millionaire.

The player dominating the most areas is declared the winner. In the event of a tie score the total dollar amount in bonus money collected will be used to determine the final outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are sick and brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are the bonus points for eliminating Hannah's "dad" (and dad in real-life) for reasons only too obvious?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, all I really read was "Risk, Hannah Montana"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this mean my copy of " Risk the Brittany Spears Special Edition " is obsolete?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

You deserve a thumb merely for the subject line, let alone what follows.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You are sick and brilliant.

You have a 50/50 chance of being right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Bailey
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, you just added "Watch the Disney Channel" to my list of things to do tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why, when reading your variant rules, did I have at least as many visions of Pandemic as I did of Risk?

Perhaps that's the next variant on the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I think Marci said it best.

"You're weird, sir."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why, when reading your variant rules, did I have at least as many visions of Pandemic as I did of Risk?

Perhaps that's the next variant on the way.

Interesting thought!

However, the game Pandemic has not saturated the marketplace like Risk.

Mmmmm. Perhaps Stratego: Hannah Montanah Edition might be next on Hasbro's list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
With even an edition of "Miley Cyrus Scandaland!" followed with the "Knocked UP!" expansion! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...an edition of "Miley Cyrus Scandaland!"

Hannah Montanah is a fictional character.

All similarity between Hannah Montanah and any living person is strictly coincidental.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job Pete ! I have pre-ordered this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have pre-ordered this.

Since the Risk: Hannah Montanah Edition is a Do It Yourself game you have my permission to reproduce the magnificent Hannah Montanah token used in the article.

However, after the wonderful response to this DIY project I am expecting a job offer from Hasbro first thing Monday morning...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
The city playing pieces....

I used a copy of the new version of Risk but any edition will work.

What are these "city playing pieces"? My two Risk sets only have army pieces, dice and cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cari Stark
United States
Farmington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much! Now I can get my daughters to play Risk with me! I had been holding out for Risk: Pirates of the Caribbean in the hopes that they would play anything with Johnny Depp on the cover, but this is even better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Quote:
...an edition of "Miley Cyrus Scandaland!"

pete belli wrote:
Hannah Montanah is a fictional character.

All similarity between Hannah Montanah and any living person is strictly coincidental.

So was the girl in that "Zoey 101" and 'real-life' dun'd HER in! Anyways, why wasn't SHE portrayed as "Ida-the-HO from IDAHO"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I'm waiting for all you suckers to preorder it and then pick it up for $20 less when it hits production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taxers wrote:
Quote:

I'm waiting for all you suckers to preorder it and then pick it up for $20 less when it hits production.

Yeah, but if you preorder, you'll get a bonus plastic Hannah figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
Does this mean my copy of " Risk the Brittany Spears Special Edition " is obsolete?

It's not obsolete, you just don't do the Public Relations phase. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What are these "city playing pieces"? My two Risk sets only have army pieces, dice and cards.

A valid point.

The Risk: Hannah Montanah Edition is a Do It Yourself game.

In addition to creating a Hannah Montanah token and securing coins for the $1 milllion in bonus money some players may have to provide airport playing pieces.

I might suggest poker chips, wooden cubes, Monopoly houses, or magic jewels from the Pretty Pretty Princess game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Correction:

On the Public Relations chart Australia should actually read Eastern Australia since there is no "Australia" territory on the map. The photograph illustrating the initial set up is correct. blush

"Crickey! This bloke proofreads like the people that published Blackbeard!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boon Kai Keefe Pang
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The board should have been pink!! not Red..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The board should have been pink!!

That would be a nice touch.

The board from the 1980s edition (which can often be found at thrift stores) had a delightful color scheme which featured a number of lovely pastels.

This version might be ideal for a Risk: Hannah Montanah Edition DIY project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.