Popular Tags: [View All]
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Below are 12 questions all pertaining to Normandy during WW2.

Question 1 has 5 answers, a point will be earned for each correct answer
Question 8 has 2 answers, a point will be earned for each correct answer
Question 2 has a multiple choice, each correct answer will earn one point but each incorrect answer will deduct one point. This is to stop people from just putting all answers down.

The winner will be the person who has given me the most correct answers, in the case of a tie it will depend on who has offered their answers the earliest.

The winner will receive one GeekGold for each correct answer. Questions 1,2 and 8 will only count as one GeekGold each if all parts are correct. A maximum of 12 GeekGold may be won.

I may, at my discretion give GeekGold to runners up if for example only 2 people get all the answers correct and the time between the answers was close.

The questions have been designed so that everyone can play, some questions are googleable, some may be googleable with a bit of effort and some will not be googleable at all. Some are easy and a couple are for the people who like the period. A mix of geographical knowledge, history and trivia.

There is no fixed closing date though I will stop the competition by 21st Dec, it depends on interest in the competition and if someone offers me all 12 correct answers then the comp will be over, if this is within the first 20 minutes then so be it.

Please send your answers to my geekmail
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmail/compose?touser=whatamb...

...and at last we get to the questions.

1). Name the 5 code names for the landing beaches

2). Which of these animals did NOT have a WW2 AFV named after them – Crocodile, Leopard, Lynx, Panther, Puma, Rhinoceros and Tiger?

3). Name the Tank Commander who went on a rampage in his Tiger tank in Villers Bocage?

4). Name the town where paratrooper John Steele got caught on the church steeple and feigned death to stop the German troops below from firing at him?

5). Caen was liberated on 19th July 1944 but what date was it targeted for being liberated?

6). What was the name of the tall hedgerows with high banks that were almost impassable safely by tanks?

7). What are “Dragons Teeth”?

8). What was the name of the beach in England and the name of the operation that went horribly wrong in preparation for the D-Day landings where hundreds of American soldiers died due to confusion and incompetence?

9). What is Zimmerit?

10). What do the initials PIAT stand for?

11). Who uttered the words “Get in” while attacking a German battery?

12). What is the name of the village where this church/museum is situated in the picture below. The village was shelled by the allies to stop the Germans making use of the crossroads there. It was on the front line and was won and lost many times. It’s name appears on a mapboard on at least two of the top 100 ranked wargames here on BGG. (as of 5th Dec)

Good Luck to all who enter

Well I intentionaly made the last 2 quite hard to give the quiz some longevity, but alas I didn't reckon on the knowledge of the Geeks.

We have a winner and I must say the competition was of a high standard, I will post all the scores without names so you can see how you faired, here are the answers

Omaha, Utah, Sword, Juno and Gold

2). Which of these animals did NOT have a WW2 AFV named after them – Crocodile, Leopard, Lynx, Panther, Puma, Rhinoceros and Tiger?
Leopard

3). Name the Tank Commander who went on a rampage in his Tiger tank in Villers Bocage?
Michael Wittmann

4). Name the town where paratrooper John Steele got caught on the church steeple and feigned death to stop the German troops below from firing at him?
St Mere Eglise

5). Caen was liberated on 19th July 1944 but what date was it targeted for being liberated?
6th June

6). What was the name of the tall hedgerows with high banks that were almost impassable safely by tanks?
Bocage

Tank Traps pyramid in shape

8). What was the name of the beach in England and the name of the operation that went horribly wrong in preparation for the D-Day landings where hundreds of American soldiers died due to confusion and incompetence?
Slapton Sands and Operation Tiger

9). What is Zimmerit?
Anti magnetic paste applied to tanks to stop magnetic mines from being attached

Projector, Infantry, Anti Tank

Lt Col Terence Otoway during the fight for the Merville Battery

12). What is the name of the village where this church/museum is situated in the picture below. The village was shelled by the allies to stop the Germans making use of the crossroads there. It was on the front line and was won and lost many times. It’s name appears on a mapboard on at least two of the top 100 ranked wargames here on BGG. (as of 5th Dec)

Tilly Sur Seulles

There were 2 people who got all the answers correct but the earliest answers I got were from Soltan Gris
12 GG on the way to you congratulations.

Here are the scores that were obtained as you can see they were very high

Thanks for everyones participation

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Here's the 'answers' of which I'm providing:
Quote:

1)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Posh, Baby, Scary, Sporty, Ginger & Maryanne

Quote:

2)
the 'Liger' as that is bred for its 'skills' & 'magic'!

Quote:

3)
ODDBALL! "who shews a paint shell?"

Quote:

4)
"le Forque Queue"[/q]

Quote:

5)

Quote:

6)
"le Morte Acres"

Quote:

7)
IVORY

Quote:

8)
"Bloody Beach Blanketing BINGO!"

Quote:
9). What is Zimmerit?

9)
zat zis zee Zolution

Quote:

10)
Poor Infantry Are TOAST

Quote:

11)
le 'Blanc Lemur' "that Rabbit's DYNAMITE!"

Quote:

12)
"Gasthaus of the Rising Bierstein!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kelly
England
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great quiz, thanks for taking the time to put it together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Normandy quiz .
Fairly sure I know them all off the top of my head bar the last 2, pity I don't care about the geekgold.
Nice idea, but an odd choice of timing. Should be a 'Bulge' quiz shouldn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea!
I have no clue about the "Get it" question, nor the last one, but I'm pretty sure I nailed all the remaining questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sponagle
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When do we see the results posted, with the correct answers? Those last two were killer, and I know I didn't get 'em. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mosdal
United States
Hanover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the last two killed me too. Glad to know I'll (probably) be tied at 10 with everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Congrats to Soltan Gris, well played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good fun. Thanks Mike and congrats to Soltan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.