Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I open up a new game to find in your initial 6 cards the following gold laid at your feet:
1) New Military Tactics
2) Space Mercanaries
3) Lost ALIEN Battle Fleet
4) Some other military thingamajig.

I think fate has reached out and handed me a free battle fleet, with which I can easily win the game. The problem is, even with this yellow brick road of cheese, the path to the fleet is a GOOEY, CHEESY, MESSY, SLOW one.

Twice now I've had this golden opportunity but lost. Once horribly. What am I doing wrong? Read on, noble reader...

Perhaps I start with Develop/Develop, all the harder to draft, you see.

The next turn I may need to E+1+1/Settle, or I could maybe Settle/Produce, or Settle/Whatever. It's probably time to settle though, assuming there's any Prod impetus out there at all, I need to draft those production orders. Explore/Settle is needed if I've got zero homegrown military whatsoever, or if I am keeping the #4 card. New Sparta can skip the Explore in any case.

The sooner I can cash that first alien good the better, but then I hit a new problem...

What is the proper ratio of Trades to Builds? Initially I want more trades and fewer builds, so as not to help the Prod boys. Military Six-devs grow on trees now, but each one costs me a turn's income. I have to draft some builds, or else I'm too slow. But I keep on throwing out my kitchen sink on each develop, leaving myself vulnerable un-drafted builds the next turn.

I guess one lesson here is to be at 10 cards not 6. Also, to have an early-in-turn secondary income source, like Terraforming Robots, to supplement my main card drawing, because it doesn't cycle enough cards fast enough for military.

In other words: hm...
Other experiences with this combo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Rikberg
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had that particular hand, but many times a hand of cards consisting of a good 6-cost development and another 2-3 cards, all with good synergy. These, once played, would bring me very close to victory, but getting all of them on the table is too slow and often empties out my hand at an inconvenient point. Often I end up tossing the 6-cost development and do a more gradual build.

I think in your case I would go with Explore/Develop, hoping to luck into a low military windfall planet. Then I could drop the Space Mercenaries and possibly draft a first or second turn settle. Getting something like the Uplift Gnarssh or even Alien Robot Sentry (with a +1 military start world) would really kick start the game.

This depends on the start world of course. With New Sparta I might even do a Explore/Explore. With Alpha Centauri and Ancient Race a Develop/Trade. Which Explore to do is hard to decide in some cases. A +5 would be good to find an intermediate planet to get some income, but a +1/+1 could give some cards to spare after getting the Battle Fleet down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are you assuming you're not the one doing a produce/consume strategy? Once you get that Battle Fleet out, you can Consume for five cards a turn, which surely it's possible to turn into a consume engine, right? ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had something similar. It took a bit to get it going, but toward the end of the game I was able to deep search for choice planets for conqering but suddenly the game ended. I was 2 points short of the win (the person who ended the game did not win). If the game had gone for another round or two, I would have ran away with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I am finding it very hard to give my opinion if I don't know what your starting world was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
onigame wrote:
Why are you assuming you're not the one doing a produce/consume strategy? Once you get that Battle Fleet out, you can Consume for five cards a turn, which surely it's possible to turn into a consume engine, right? ;-)
Somehow the three actions to create a mighty 1 production puts me a bit behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.