Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With recent economic number coming out showing the ever-growing jobless rate in the US, it's nice to know that one can still succeed without gainful employment ... even in Agricola.

This was a 3player game played on the ucsd site. (Great site, BTW!)

I was first, and usually go right for the 'Occupation' space. Here were my choices: Scholar, Constable, Clay Hut Builder, Pieceworker, Resource Seller, Home Steward, and Stone Cutter.

To be honest, I didn't care much for any of them ... so I grabbed some wood instead.

The next player played the Market Crier, giving himself 2 grain + 1 veg for every shot on the 'Take 1 Grain' space, but giving me and my other opp grain too. This immediately got me into wanting to play my 'Bakehouse' improvement, so I geared my game towards a baking strategy. (The M.C.-player also got the grain cart, giving him a total of 4 grain + 1 veggie for that space.)

My other opp would soon play the Chamberlain, a great card IMHO but one that should not come out so early, as you can't use him until Round 11.

Meanwhile, I was able to grab early reeds, get more wood, play the Goat (1 food per Harvest + 1 point, but no in-house animals), and extend my house first. I also took 3 clay at once (with the purpose of getting the clay oven) and 4 food (which I didn't really need at the time, but which crushed the M.C.-player, who was forced to eat 4 grain raw during one harvest ... which forced him to go for more grain, giving me more grain ...)

FG came early, and I was able to get to 3 peeps two turns before the others. I also got down the Sawhorse (one of my favorite imps: in essence, worth 7 wood at opportune times) and took a stone with the 'Take 1 Resource' space. On Round 6, I bought the clay oven and turned a grain to 5 food. Later on, when I had 2 more grain (all gotten from the M.C.-player), I converted to the Bakehouse and baked those for 10 more food. Needless to say, I had little food issues for the rest of the game.

By game's end, I got to 10 wood (enough for all 15 fences, using the Sawhorse) and enough timely resource-grabs to (a) plow 4 fields, (b) build 4 pastures, covering 6 spaces (and two enclosed stables), (c) renovate all the way to a 4-square stone house, (d) sow 2 veggies for a total of 4, (e) sow 1 grain and grab a few more to get to 6, and (f) grab sheep to breed and one cattle. (I missed the boar and left an empty space, else I'd've played the Constable at the end.)

Including the 5 for the Bakehouse, 1 for a cheap fireplace (near the end), 1 for the Goat, and the 15 for all my family members (which all of us had at the end), I ended up winning rather comfortably.

Final Scores: 47-35-35.

I never did play an occ, and didn't really think one could do well without doing so. I certainly need to reassess my beliefs now.

(And no, I didn't have 'Alms' this game ... I had 'em last game, when I played an occ right off the bat. Go figure.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
I never did play an occ, and didn't really think one could do well without doing so. I certainly need to reassess my beliefs now.

I find the Minor Improvements more critical than the occupations. I have won games with no occupations played and have lost every game that I did not play minor improvements or even weak minor improvements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An ending underline tag would be pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb

Great account, and a solid reminder that Occupations "ain't all that," although I must remind you that in Agricola, you are never "unemployed." You're a farmer. You're self-employed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
An ending underline tag would be pretty cool.

Yeah, I used the wrong end-tag by mistake. It's corrected now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.