• [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wardle
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the things you are looking for I would suggest Bohnanza .

It includes all that you want and is tremendous fun when it comes to the trading aspect. Very easy to learn and share with gamers and non-gamers alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into the Key games series.
Key Harvest or Keythedral .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First game that comes to mind is Colosseum...

You might also try Kingsburg. It fits your criteria with the possible exception of trading...while there is no trading taking place between players, you can trade commodities to the "bank" for soldiers, and there's also an advisor that allows you to trade a resource to the "bank" for other resources...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Mitch's excellent recommendation. After my first play of Kingsburg, I thought to myself "this is a quite similar in feel and execution to Settlers of Catan."

I wouldn't recommend Bohnanza, even though it's great fun, as it's not really similar to Settlers when you get down to it. No offense to Lee who suggested it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Keythedral. A great Catan-like game with a great mechanic of vying for production space on the map each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Atomic Wedgie wrote:
Looking for a Catan like game,
in terms of economically driven,
trading,
can have luck,
medium difficulty,
medium playing time?

anyone got any ideas?

Although they don't have strict similarities I want to suggest Tikal. It uses action points per turn rather than economy and 4 scoring rounds rather than a race to 10 points. The expeditions feel developmental and the modular board is definitely Catanesque. You can play with drawing the hexes from the top (more luck) or drafting in an auction that gives a much more sophitocated play but scales to the players.

I like to recommend this game when I can. Take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Traders of Genoa seems to fit your request

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Colosseum, and add Anno 1503 (although technically it doesn't have trading, but it is the best "game for people who like Settlers" I have yet found.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Profesor Mora wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wardle
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
No offense to Lee who suggested it.

None taken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan T
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that people who like Settlers also often like Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride or, if they want slightly more complexity, Puerto Rico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are big Settlers fans, and we really like Stone Age. But like Kingsburg, there is no trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocStryder wrote:
I'll second Keythedral. A great Catan-like game with a great mechanic of vying for production space on the map each turn.

Keep in mind, however, that Keythedral can be a bit hard to get. I believe it's presently OOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elasund: The First City? Just like Catan (while completely different), a tiny bit more agressive. A good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some oddball suggestions:
Delta V
Acquire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hubbard
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Some oddball suggestions:

Acquire

Nothing wrong with Aquire: it just explores 'financing' on a different level. Good call!

Edit: To add "Blood Royale". It kinda fits most of your parameters, except that it isn't a short game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scurra wrote:
I'll second Colosseum, and add Anno 1503 (although technically it doesn't have trading, but it is the best "game for people who like Settlers" I have yet found.)

I'd have to third Colosseum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dw
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thanks everyone, will look at some of your suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Quintal
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just recently played Parthenon. It has trading similar to Catan [you trade olives for wool, or timber for example, with other players]

The game is similar to Catan in that it's a race to build 12 [I think] buildings before your opponents.

There is luck involved in this game as well. You can trade with neighboring islands or locations in the Mediterranean. At points in the game you have a chance to flip over a card to tell if you are beseiged by pirates, or perhaps your ship gets caught in a storm, or perhaps the card flips over and it says "safe journey", in which you make it to port and can then trade goods for rare resources or gold.

I would consider it a medium weight game...there are phases you need to go through in the game that can make it a bit complex, but once you play through one game round, you'll understand the flow of a turn and the game runs smoothly.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18243

Hope it's up your alley!
jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.