Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S G
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody seems to have this in their catalog --and I searched just about everything I can think of using boardgamesearch.com.....

....so, can I still buy it direct from yourmovegames, or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The product is printed abroad. When the factory is done printing it, they put it on a slow boat from China (literally). However, YMG has them ship a number of copies via air freight, so that they can generate interest in the product by making it available for pre-sale to the really die hard players, sell it at conventions, etc.

So, there are still decks available from the air shipment. You can look on the Your Move Games forum for instructions on how to order directly from YMG to get those, at http://yourmovegames.com/forum/index.php/topic,725.0.html

The shipment from China is expected to get here any week now. After it gets here, it then takes some number of weeks to wind its way through the distribution network. So, there doesn't seem to be a great chance that it will be available via normal online or brick and mortar retailers before Christmas, but it seems reasonable that they might appear sometime in January, as long as nothing unexpected happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S G
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks....

Is there a certain critical mass required to get the most out of Kingdoms? I get the impression it'll work with whatever you may have -- I have four starter decks (Men, Lizards, Dwarves, Elves) with a fifth (M&M) on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aerial7 wrote:
Thanks....

Is there a certain critical mass required to get the most out of Kingdoms? I get the impression it'll work with whatever you may have -- I have four starter decks (Men, Lizards, Dwarves, Elves) with a fifth (M&M) on the way.

It's great that you are getting the Monsters & Mercenaries deck. There are a number of Kingdom resources you can acquire that allow you to recruit units from that deck into your army. While you can fudge it by designating a different army to stand in for the M&M deck, I think it's desirable to use M&M for this purpose.

There are no required decks. You can use whatever factions you have available to you. It is nice to have the terrain pack, but you can easily use felt or construction paper or whatever to represent terrain of the appropriate shape/size.

In terms of critical mass, the minimum sized group we playtested with was 4. 3 would be an awkward number, because with an odd number of players someone needs to take a bye every round, and with only 3 people total that's a full 33% not getting to play. 2 would be possible, though I think it is likely that you would be able to tell who was going to win by round 8 or so.

I guess in a perfect world, I would want 6 players that could be relied on to show up regularly, or else 7 players with an understanding that each round one person would be taking a bye-- which can actually be an advantage, since it allows for people to take a bye on the weekend they're going out of town, or the night they're going to their daughter's piano recital, or whatever. (That's assuming you're playing 1 round a week, which is what my group did-- in the first review of the game that went up here on BGG, the author says they played 3 rounds in a single day, which would make the problem of a player not showing up much more severe.)

I ran two campaigns here in Seattle using 4 players, and it worked out just fine. 2 of the 4 players became really big fans of Battleground as a result, and have now played more games than I have-- and I've been playing for a few years! There is nothing at all that won't work with 4 players; the one and only reason I would prefer 6 is because that way you get a much wider variety of opponents and factions. With only 4, you're going to be facing the same opponent/faction with some regularity. (This, of course, would be true of any campaign system, not just Kingdoms.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised how quickly we were able to knock out three games. Our original intent was to play around with the campaign system and maybe do a single battle. Two of our six people didn't show so we sat down with just the four of us. Three of us were Battleground veterans, and our fourth was totally new and had no experience with Battleground but lots of experience with miniature gaming. I threw my decks on the table and he originally picked Dwarves, but changed to Orcs when one of the other players start snickering about how slow the Dwarves were. After our first battle when he understood the rules better he really wanted to switch back to Dwarves. Our first round of battles took almost three hours (yikes!), but a lot of that was eaten up with training everyone how to play and working with the orcs. The High Elves and Undead finished their battle up fairly quickly with the elves getting badly pinched by some very resilient zombies. The campaign phase went very quickly, taking less than 15 minutes each time. Everyone decided they'd stick around for a second battle so we knocked another out. Then we decided we'd draw map and scenario cards for the third battle to be played at another time. The High Elves drew a special situation for a scenario that really sparked their interest and he roped me into hanging out for one more "quick" game. The Orcs and Undead decided to put in one more too. Three hours later we had knocked out our last game of the night. We ended up spending a total of nine hours on the game when we were originally slated to play for maybe three. At the end of the third battle the Elves wanted to draw another map and scenario and we almost did...saner heads prevailed, though. The Elves managed to barely beat my Lizardmen so he was pretty excited about the possibility of a comeback. The Orcs also managed to do quite well against the Undead. We think this was because he was able to recruit a broader range of units (he had all the forces to choose from having built a logging camp and mine where the undead had built the mine and smelter). The scenario might have played a role too, but I won't go into a whole lot of detail. It was nice to see the new guy win one against the unbeatable Undead.

As a player - I recommend that each player bring a starter deck to the first game. I also recommend having at least one terrain pack. Felt and construction paper terrain work, but the terrain pack is much nicer. Eventually each army will want their reinforcement deck too, but it's not necessary for the first few games (you can play a whole campaign without needing one but you might want to have access to some of the special reinforcement deck only units in later games). I also recommend that at least one player have the monster and mercenary starter deck so that people have these units to draw from. None of us used these, though, in our game as we didn't build the Market which would have allowed us to draft these guys. We still have 7 battles to fight, though, so I suspect it will be nice to have them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aerial7 wrote:
Thanks....

I just re-read your question. I didn't catch that you had only starter decks the first time.

This will work fine-- there are core, standard, and elite units in every starter deck. However, one of the incentives to buy the reinforcement deck is that every faction has 2 types of elite units that are only available in the reinforcement deck. These units aren't any "better" than the other units-- they cost the correct amount of points, so in theory they're equally matched with the same number of points' worth of units from the starter deck-- but they do give you more flexibility, and it's just fun to have more units to choose from.

So, I would say that it's desriable but not necessary to have the reinforcement deck for the faction you're playing. By no means should you avoid playing Kingdoms if you only have starter decks, but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure that if you like the game you're going to want to eventually get the reinforcement decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewgr wrote:
This will work fine-- there are core, standard, and elite units in every starter deck. However, one of the incentives to buy the reinforcement deck is that every faction has 2 types of elite units that are only available in the reinforcement deck.

It's very rare that Andrew gets even small details wrong, so I'd be remiss if I didn't jump in when he does. While it's true that Reinforcement decks have two units types that aren't found in that army's Starter deck, they are not generally both elite. With the Men of Hawkshold, for example, one elite unit (Longbowmen) is in the Starter and the second (mounted Knights) is only in the Reinforcement deck, along with Pikemen (not elite but only in the Reinforcement deck).

I'd echo pretty much everything else that's been said in this thread. We work pretty hard to make sure that a Starter deck is all you need to play, and you can definitely get a good Kingdoms experience even if each player only has recourse to their army's Starter. I might suggest picking up a Reinforcement deck for M&M, especially if your plan is to share those units as the mercenaries rather than to play them as their own faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and to answer the OP. The main shipment is actually arriving here TODAY. Unfortunately this means that it misses the last chance to get into pre-Christmas distribution, so it won't hit stores until January.

You can still preorder it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.