Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: How about a Convention Calendar? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of a number of area gaming conventions. Others I've heard about only recently, even though they're long-standing affairs. Why? Sometimes the word just doesn't get out efficiently; conventions have limited advertising budgets. Clearly, BGG is a great place to spread the word about conventions; it's a pool of nothing but gamers.

While there's a forum for discussing/announcing cons, it's not an easily viewable list of conventions. Could we have a simple calendar on BGG, one where upcoming events could be listed? That'd be great for both con organizers and potential con goers as well.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Familiar with it, thanks. Still think there should be one HERE.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Warbanner wrote:
Familiar with it, thanks. Still think there should be one HERE.


You are so right sir. Make it so Mr. Weintraub. Report back here when you know what it should look like and how it will be accurately maintained.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is what you want:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Game_Conventions

The list probably needs to be updated, and more prominent, although some conventions only last a few years.

Also check for conventions under the microbadge list.

Here are two of the best lists:

http://www.sjgames.com/con/

http://www.columbiagames.com/convention/conventions.shtml


Here's my geeklist on the topic:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/14383


Other convention lists with some outdated information:

http://www.geocities.com/jengacons/conlinks.html

http://www.nggnet.com/features/Conventions.htm

http://www.rpg.net/etrigan/
1 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:


    The one above is editable. I just added Multiman's Winter Offensive to the list.

             Sag.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
I think this is what you want:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Game_Conventions

The list probably needs to be updated, and more prominent, although some conventions only last a few years.


Agreed on all counts; it's useful and appreciated. Have a dime.

J
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
papahoth wrote:
Warbanner wrote:
Familiar with it, thanks. Still think there should be one HERE.


You are so right sir. Make it so Mr. Weintraub. Report back here when you know what it should look like and how it will be accurately maintained.


Didn't know better, I'd think you were being snarky. Thank god that's not the case.

As for accurate maintenance, how is everything else here accurately maintained? I was assuming the listings would be posted annually, not a single listing that lasts forever, even if the con is 5 years dead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Warbanner wrote:
papahoth wrote:
Warbanner wrote:
Familiar with it, thanks. Still think there should be one HERE.


You are so right sir. Make it so Mr. Weintraub. Report back here when you know what it should look like and how it will be accurately maintained.


Didn't know better, I'd think you were being snarky. Thank god that's not the case.

As for accurate maintenance, how is everything else here accurately maintained? I was assuming the listings would be posted annually, not a single listing that lasts forever, even if the con is 5 years dead.


    In spite of papahoth's snark (it's required by law in Ashburn) the list here on BGG is a freely-editable wiki, and I bet that if it was more visible it would be well-kept by the membership here. You could put in what you know and then call his bluff by reporting back as requested.

    In my opinion it should be a direct link under Misc in the menu or someplace similar.

             Sag.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Warbanner wrote:
papahoth wrote:
Warbanner wrote:
Familiar with it, thanks. Still think there should be one HERE.


You are so right sir. Make it so Mr. Weintraub. Report back here when you know what it should look like and how it will be accurately maintained.


Didn't know better, I'd think you were being snarky. Thank god that's not the case.

As for accurate maintenance, how is everything else here accurately maintained? I was assuming the listings would be posted annually, not a single listing that lasts forever, even if the con is 5 years dead.


    In spite of papahoth's snark (it's required by law in Ashburn) the list here on BGG is a freely-editable wiki, and I bet that if it was more visible it would be well-kept by the membership here. You could put in what you know and then call his bluff by reporting back as requested.

    In my opinion it should be a direct link under Misc in the menu or someplace similar.

             Sag.




Wouldn't it be desirable to have it either as a separate forum that could be displayed on a member's frontpage, or permanently pinned in the BGG News forum? Either way, it could always be in view on the front page, which would make it more likely to be maintained.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb

    As a calendar it won't work in a forum, but any prominent location would be effective.

             Sag.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so. A location that's either prominent, or at least reachable from the front page (without having to first bookmark it into your personal toolbar) would be ideal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the site could use several calendars.

A convention calendar would be great, doubly cool if it could search by region or state.

A release calendar would be great as well, but it'd need to be controlled/updatable by the publishers, or an admin who would do it for them.

I was going to say regional game club calendars, but I guess those could be handled by the guilds.

Cheers!

Donald Dennis
http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.