Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings All,

There's something alien in Deep Space Outpost 233-B, and it's hungry. Will you figure out how to neutralize it before it eats you?

Invisible City's Game of the Month for December 2008 (#106) is Space Monster. The rules, cards, and tokens you need to play are all available as a 240 KB PDF at:

http://www.invisible-city.com/file_download/139/

Space Monster is a cooperative exploration / suspense / combat game for one to five players. Your goal is to figure out the space monster's weaknesses and stop it before it eats everyone on the space station – including you! This brings up an important point: The game is actually only _mostly_ cooperative. if things get really dire, you can make a run for the sole one-person escape pod. If you escape and the monster eats everyone else, you win!

Space Monster uses a modular card-based board, special powers for each player, a deck of special powers for the monster, and an unusual deck-based hit point system for the monster. The many permutations of these modules helps ensure good replay value.

Space Monster is a fairly complex game. As such, it is appropriate for ages 14 and up. A 4-player game takes about 60+ minutes to play, although your first game may take significantly longer. You will need to supply dice, pawns, and some assorted tokens in addition to printing out and cutting up the cards and some special tokens.

Enjoy!

Jonathan
Games Advocate
Invisible City Productions
http://www.invisible-city.com/play/

PS: Space Monster is a game I've been working on for a while, in hopes of licensing it to a publisher. In the interest of getting play test feedback, I'm making it available to y'all. If you like the game, or if you don't like the game, or if you're just a fan and would like to see the Game of the Month continue, do me a favor: Post or email Space Monster play test feedback. No layout suggestions, please. Thank you. I appreciate it. - JAL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for sharing your game with us.

Have you considered submitting this game to the BGG database?

I had trouble downloading the PDF directly from your link, so I went to the Invisible City page and was able to find the file there and download it successfully:
http://www.invisible-city.com/play/507/space-monster

Initial impression:
p.1-16 are cards -- lots of text (good for flavor, probably Language Level 3 or 4)
p.17-25 are the main rules for the game, along with variants
p. 26-28 are character knacks (used when generating characters) -- I'll probably make a card for each of these, so players don't have to grab the rulebook if they forget exactly how their knacks work.
p. 29 is notes about possible expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Have you considered submitting this game to the BGG database?
Did so last night. I suspect that it's in a moderator's queue even as we speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
p. 26-28 are character knacks (used when generating characters) -- I'll probably make a card for each of these, so players don't have to grab the rulebook if they forget exactly how their knacks work.
That's a good idea. Some of the powers are a little wordy to fit on a card, though. If I do this, I'll let y'all know and make them available as a PDF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
invisiblejon wrote:
bwingrave wrote:
That's a good idea. Some of the powers are a little wordy to fit on a card, though. If I do this, I'll let y'all know and make them available as a PDF.
Done. http://www.invisible-city.com/file_download/140/

They're not pretty, but they're functional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.