Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendation for an Napoleonic Game on Jena/Auerstadt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will McGregor
msg tools
I am looking for a game on Jena/Auerstadt, operational level.

I have not played hex & counter wargames for a long time. I recently came across a copy of l'Armee du Nord in the back of a cupboard, a game that I have not touched for at least 10 years. I found someone to play it, and we are enjoying it. I noted that Clash of Arms has a similar game on Jena. There is also 1806: Rossbach Avenged.

I am wondering if someone could go over the differences between the two games, and perhaps make a recommendation. I am leaning towards Jena, simply because it uses the same system as ADN. However, the Rossbach Avenged game uses the Six Days of Glory System, which I am not at all familiar with (ADN is the only Napoleonic game I have played), but appears to be used in other games.

Or perhaps there is a third one better than either. I have no problem with French, so a game from France is also a possiblity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at the following geeklist:

200th Anniversary of Jena - Auerstaedt (1806)

I haven't played 1806: Rossbach Avenged yet, but it looks like an interesting system. It is still available at http://www.napoleongames.com/store.html. However, it will go out of print very soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will McGregor
msg tools
Yeah, I did go through that GeekList, but there are not many comments on these games. Nor are there any reviews or session reports under Jena or Rossbach, which is what I am looking for.

I am leaning towards Jena, though, as I like the scale and rules-set of ADN.

Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roach
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Will,
I have heard good things about Jena, and from what I understand it is actually similar to OSG’s “Days” system. I can vouch for the “Days” system. It is a great introduction to the OSG lines, as many of the core concepts used can be found in the heavier and more detailed Campaigns of Napoleon series.

I don’t think you will go wrong with either Jena or Rossbach. Note, that if you get Rossbach Avenged, I am fairly sure there are updates available as the system saw a rules update in Seven Days of 1809, which is also a very good game.

-Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Deagan
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It may be smaller than you're looking for, but Jena 20 would be a nice way to ease back into hex and counter gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will McGregor
msg tools
As an aside to this discussion, I have spent some time looking for French Napoleonic games, without a lot of success. There is a GeekList on French Wargames (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19763), and I checked some of the companies listed. But there does not seem to be a lot out there, which I find rather puzzling...

Any ideas why this is so?

Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not familiar with the French board game culture, but I would assume that similar to Germany wargames are a very tiny niche while Eurogames are much more common.

I don't even know any German wargames except Friedrich, and we had plenty of wars here :).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.