Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does a new (restarted player) get to move immediately? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Søren E.
Denmark
Gredstedbro
flag msg tools
Played a solo game just to try out it out before playing with my friends..

The (Author) was unfortunately devoured during her movement phase. As the rules direct, I set up a new character. I randomly chose and it became Sister Mary. I gave her, her startup items: fixed items, random items and such. Although I was playing solo with multiple investigators does the player (Sister Mary) receive her movement phase or does she has to wait till the next turn, or is it the next investigators time to act immediately?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you were devoured during the movement phase, your next investigator would not get to move as well. That investigator would start playing the next phase (Arkham Encounter in your case).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
As Brian said.

Since we think "devoured" should be a bit harsher, we do not setup (and thus play) the new character until the next Upkeep, but it is just our house rule.

Have fun! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren E.
Denmark
Gredstedbro
flag msg tools
Okay, thank for clearing that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
Since we think "devoured" should be a bit harsher, we do not setup (and thus play) the new character until the next Upkeep, but it is just our house rule.

I agree. The rules in Dunwich say a retiring investigator skips his whole turn. I think that a devoured investigator should skip it as well. But dem's da rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Luke the Flaming wrote:

I agree. The rules in Dunwich say a retiring investigator skips his whole turn. I think that a devoured investigator should skip it as well. But dem's da rules.

Well, on the other hand, being devoured is usually accidental and the character could have still been useful or have good items--and retiring a character is always voluntary, when they've gotten enough injuries and madnesses to become a burden on the team. You could easily pass off their good gear before letting them go.
That's probably why you get a -1 on final scoring for each retired investigator, but investigators that were devoured and replaced during the game give you no scoring penalty.

What does it mean for a retired investigator to lose his/her entire turn, anyway? Do you set up the character immediately, and just not do the phases? Or do you wait until the end of the next mythos phase to set the character up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
From a game mechanic perspective of discouraging and penalizing a player for wanting to retire, it make sense. Thematically, it seem that both a devoured and retired investigator should be forced to skip a turn. I am not advocating to play that way, I certainly don't, I just wanted to point it out.

The rules aren't clear on the retiring aspect and I don't remember if it was covered elsewhere. But I would treat it this way: During Phase 1 - Upkeep, declare you are retiring. While everyone else is doing upkeep maintenance, you set up your new character and place him on the board (I wouls lay him down as if he were delayed but he isn't actually delayed). Nothing happens to you this entire turn, including combat with monsters, mythis effects, etc. During the next upkeep phase, you begin playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Well, on the other hand, being devoured is usually accidental...

Like heck it is! The game does it on purpose. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.