Subject: A little RTL in my Vanilla rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon K
Netherlands
Zaanstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I really like the Monster stats from RTL. Copper level monsters seem a bit beefier then their Vanilla counterparts. Any good reason why i shouldnt use these in 4-player Vanilla Descent?

So i was comparing the wrong cards (yeah i know.....) The RTL-copper monster stats arent any better at all, but the idea of monster upgrades in (large) dungeon scenario's appeals to me.

What about, after the heroes got some silver treasures i spent lets say, 25 threat, and upgrade either Humanoid, Beast or Eldritch to Silver Level? same for Gold? It all seems so fair to me that it simply must be WRONG! angryangryangry

is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd interesting idea, I'm still fairly new to Descent but I'd love to hear the opinions of others here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what Kevin Wilson has to say about it:

Quote:

I've played something that I'm still working on, but which I like to call the "Delve". It's sort of an unholy union of vanilla and RtL Descent.

Basically, first you agree on a time limit (I use 2-3 hours, normally). Then, you take a RtL party of heroes, let them buy any shop items they want (no markets in this version), them dump them into a dungeon level.

Monsters and chests all start at copper level.

When the heroes enter the 3rd dungeon level, monsters and chests upgrade to silver level.

When they enter they 5th dungeon level, monsters and chests upgrade to gold level.

When they enter the 7th dungeon level, monsters upgrade to diamond level.

The Overlord receives no treachery to start, but each time he shuffles his deck, he gains 1 treachery pt of his choice and can adjust his deck before shuffling. The Overlord may never have more than 3 power cards in play at once, but can choose to discard an old power card (gets no threat) to make room for a new one.

Players keep track of conquest for the heroes, but they are allowed to go into negative totals without losing.

When the time limit expires, the heroes receive 5 points for each dungeon level they entered (so if they finish on the 5th level, they get 25 points). To this, they add or subtract their final conquest value. That's their score.

As for town, it works like it does in vanilla Descent.

At the moment, the only point is to score as high as you can manage. Perhaps players can each take turns being the Overlord and the 'winner' is the Overlord who let the heroes score the fewest points.

Alternately, you can let the heroes win if they finish a pre-agreed upon number of dungeon levels.

As I said, it's a work in progress. Something I'm working on mostly for con events.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

Quote:

The town uses standard vanilla Descent rules, so yeah, you can buy traits and skills. I guess you ought to be able to buy silver/gold dice upgrades for the same cost as a trait upgrade, though. I haven't been posting it around much cuz it's still a work in progress. There will eventually be a 'real' PDF release of the Delve on the website here, once the kinks are worked out. Anyone who wants to try it out and make comments is welcome to do so.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

edit: Oh, and yeah, RtL parties only keep one skill each.

We play this regularly now, with a few tweaks here and there, and it's a nice hybrid between the two.

Follow the discussion here:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffgforums/posts/list/9686....

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffgforums/posts/list/10530...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon K
Netherlands
Zaanstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delve seems to be exactly the kind of hybrid im looking for. A love-child of RTL's campaign + character development and Vanilla's computer game-like romp trough the dungeon.

I really hope Kevin's still figuring this one out. Perhaps he'll release the rules when the possible 2nd campaign-expansion set hits us. That would be really exciting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.