Subject: Albatros D.va rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Söderberg
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Whats the deal with the albatross D.Va? If you compare it to a sopwith camel, it has exactly the same stats and fly-paths, except for the fast right-turns of the camel. What is the albatross good at? Sure, it has one more "swooping left" turn than the camel, but does that really contribute that much?
For all you Albatros fans out there, make me like this plane!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abel_set wrote:
Whats the deal with the albatross D.Va? If you compare it to a sopwith camel, it has exactly the same stats and fly-paths, except for the fast right-turns of the camel. What is the albatross good at? Sure, it has one more "swooping left" turn than the camel, but does that really contribute that much?

I suppose the point was to replciate the actaul abilities of the plan in the context of the game, so making it better (or even different) than the Sopwith Camel isn't really a consideration.

Both planes are, I believe generally comparable in most World War I air games. The Camel had a rotary engine, which made it a little snappier in the right hand turns, which explains the abilities you noted.

I don't think the Albatross DVa was considered a particularly outstanding plane. It was a solid workhorse that gave good service to the Germans in the later part of the war. It was a common plane for the Gemrans, and therefore a good choice for inclusion in the set. Indeed, it's nearly a mandatory plane to have. It shows up because that's what the Germans had a lot of, not in order to create any "love" on the part of a gamer in the subsequent century.

Wings of War is not a real detailed simulation, so many subtle differences between planes may not be reflected in the cards anyway. But the fact of the matter is that the Dva and the Camel are evenly matched opponents and the biggest difference will be between the pilots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
abel_set wrote:
I'm no expert, but as far as I know there really wasn't much to like about the DVa. In order see prey underneath them better, they tried to shrink the lower wing like the Nieuports, but they set the darn thing too far back, which caused the wings to twist under pressure. They couldn't figure out what was wrong, so they slapped on all this heavy wing bracing, which ruined any performance gain from all that pretty streamlining and still didn't solve the problem.

Unfortunately, it was wartime, the well tuned Albatros factory was geared up and waiting to spit out in big quantities, and the war simply couldn't wait for a solution, so they went big with what they had. At least the pilots did some pretty paint jobs, which hopefully frightened the enemy into their sights.

The DIII also had this problem but to a lesser extent. The real culprit was the Mercedes engine, which put out good power but weighed a ton. This put them in a situation where they had to cut weight wherever possible, making everything so thin and brittle that it just couldn't handle combat stress.

They put a lot of effort into making the thing handle better at slow speed. Although other planes may show a better climb rate, once they try to bank or turn, there just isn't enough airflow for the wings to grab and the plane slides down. The DVa should allow you to actually maneuver in such a gasping battle for height, and if you can force the other guy to try to maneuver too, he should eventually start to fall off.

I doubt this is something that can be modeled in Wings of War: Famous Aces. I did model stall performance in variants I've made, but I haven't yet modeled breaking wings. You can learn the basic game and play it in a few minutes with your Wings of War: Famous Aces set as it is.

If you like the variant then you can put stickers on your cards and play the version that models altitude and stalls in addition to deflection shooting and other stuff.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/111157

I can win consistently with the DVa (or just about any other plane) in this variant since it has no randomness and is pure strategy, but you really need to know your plane better than your enemy and conserve altitude. I have more advanced variants available, but they require printing your own cards and stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group all got into WoW minies at pretty much the same time, and I was the only person to get a D.va. (mainly because Udet's plane is so darn cool looking). First few Sundays we played I could win a good number of the games I took part in, and this was against snipes, camels, and fokker VIIs.

But my friends soon got the D.va's measure, and got more used to what could be done with their planes, and the games steadily got harder. You have to really think outside of the square if you want to get the most out of the D.va's cards, and try and keep your opponants guessing. If you start to play predictably you have had it. I guess that could be said for the other single seaters as well. But generally they all have more cards to chose from, therefore more tricks up their sleaves.

The speed of the albatros does however mean that it good for chasing those dratted D.H.4s.(try using fokker triplanes as the defenders in the recon photo scenario, it's quite funny) So I guess you have to use planes in the roles that they are good for.

I'm afraid that I probably havn't helped you gain any love for your tros. But if it is any consolation, when you do pull off a win, and send your overly confident friend's snipe, or fokker VII earthward, it feels like a game well won.

@Sight Reader

I really like your shooting checklist. I'll have to try and get my mates to give it a go next time we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Banichi wrote:
I really like your shooting checklist. I'll have to try and get my mates to give it a go next time we play.
Well, my Shooting Checklist likes you too! It sure takes the luck out, especiallly if you combine it with playing only one move ahead at all times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.