John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
After 101 logged plays my regular opponent asked me to to post this question for fear we have been playing it wrong. I have my opinion but I'll post the question anyway.

In the scenario descriptions under War Council it names the army leader. It looks something like this:

War Council

Ptolemic Army (Use Eastern Kingdom blocks)
~ Leader: Ptolemy
~ 5 Command Cards

Seleucid Army (Use Greek blocks)
~Leader: Antiochus
~5 Command Cards
~Move First

In this scenario there is an additional (Leader/General on each side).

His question is... Is the leader who is mentioned by name in the War Council description the only leader piece worth a Victory Banner?

Thank you,
Scrib

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Leader units are worth one banner, not only "leaders" of armies. For some battles there is not even the name of the Army leader...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. A leader is a leader. That's the way I understood it. That's the way I've always played it against everybody, including my fight to Second Place at the National Block Party C&C:Ancients Tournament last spring.

The back story: Richard D. (not Borg) and I played 3 games yesterday afternoon. I lost two games. One because I lost two leaders when playing to five banners. Afterward RD asked me if we had been playing it correctly all these months. I said I was sure we had been. About 9:30 PM he called me at home and asked me to post the question on the GMT website just to be sure. Ok, I posted here instead. I hope that's good enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However, remember that leaders that evade off-board are typically not counted as banners. So although your enemy loses a leader, you do not gain a banner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beckerdo wrote:
However, remember that leaders that evade off-board are typically not counted as banners. So although your enemy loses a leader, you do not gain a banner.

Yeah, that happened twice yesterday, too. It was a brutal three games for leaders I think out of 15 opportunities (3 games x 5 leaders on the board = 15) 5 leaders died and 2 had to evade off the board. Anyway I was 100% sure we were and have been doing it right all along. It's just odd that yesterday Richard D. would get so concerned about this all of a sudden that he had to call me at home about it. And yes, he has a copy of the 2nd edition rules at his place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.