Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldnt find this already suggested, hopefully not teaching grandma to suck eggs here . . .

Suggest forcing size attributes in the html for any included image ( particularly in theads / geeklists )

A gripe I have with any page that has a lost of posts is that the page is often constantly jiggling and shifting as the various embedded images download and display on the browser causing the browser to reformat the content - a friend can refer me to a page, many posts down, and for 5 minutes I cant see what hes referring to, because the post has rejiggled itself off the screen as the images download and push the formatting down further. Frequently I will just wait til its done its thing and then come back to it - often by hitting the page link again, this time with the benefit of having had all the images cache.

However, if size attributes are specified ( forced ), the placeholders for an image not yet downloaded would be the correct size - therefore size formatting of images as they download would not cause a problem for other content ( no jiggling ). This would make for a faster browser render, and also be a heap faster for people to read content / less frustrating, yada.

I was under the impression that specifying this information was also generally A Good Practice in the Unwritten Law of the Internets.

Just to make sure what I am saying is clear : http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#h-13.7.1 ( the url tags bork this link, cut n paste to get there )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.