Subject: Solo Carcassonne rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Fiore
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently started blogging - mostly about solo gaming - and I posted my own longtime solo Carcassonne variant. I share it here, now, in this, my first ever BGG post!

JF's Solo Carcassonne Rules - "Carc Island"
For this solo game, your Invisible Enemy is not an automatic opponent. Instead, it's a bounded formation I call Carc Island.

Place the starting tile on the playing surface. The starting tile will become the center tile of a 7-tile x 7-tile square layout. You are bounded by this layout for the entirety of the game! Place drawn tiles and score your followers as usual.

When a tile cannot be played or you choose not to play it, you may discard the tile. Only three tiles in total may be discarded in this manner.

The game ends when the 7x7 layout is complete or when a tile is drawn that cannot be legally played or discarded.

Score the game as usual.

With the Inns & Cathedrals expansion in your collection of tiles, here's how to gauge your success:

* Complete Success - Carc Island is complete and you've scored 150+.
* Partial Success - Carc Island is incomplete and you've scored 100+.
* Failure - Carc Island is incomplete and you've scored less than 100.

With added expansions, you may have to alter the victory conditions somewhat. Please let me know how the scoring would change with other add-ons incorporated!

Try it - it's quite addictive!

You can see more at http://invisibleenemies.blogspot.com/2008/11/carcassonne-go-....

Thanks!

JF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Neuschwander
United States
Hummelstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JF, thanks for this and keep up the blog, I've added it to my favorites. I'm a fellow frustrated lonely gamer always looking for solo variants when my wife isn't in the mood for Lost Cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiore
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jim! We gamers need to support one another during the gaming lean times!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The blog is gone . Where did it move to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiore
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprisingly, there were "issues" with some of my content...content which was only about harmless solo gaming. Also, my reps did not like me "publishing" ideas for free. I just didn't need the hassle and sadly shut the whole thing down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very old post, but thought I would comment on it. I just picked up the travel edition of Carcassonne and wanted to give this a shot. It's fun and puzzly. The closest I've gotten is one missing tile. It makes me wonder if there's a good strategy to make sure you can complete the island or if it comes down to the luck of those last few draws. Maybe I need to pay better attention to the distribution of the tiles in order to guess what might be coming next.

Anyway, I've only been playing with the base set, and the OP only gave a scoring scale when the Inns and Cathedrals expansion is used, so I don't really know if my scores are any good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tschida
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks for this post! I play like this often and it is very well thought out. It's very tense yet relaxing, a really good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Graves
United States
Elmira
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I tried this rules variant today. I had one question. Are you allowed to build incomplete partial cities up against the "invisible wall" on the outer rim of the 7x7 "Carc Isle"? And thus score those partial cities at the end?

It's very cool playing Carcassone Solo though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robgraves wrote:
So I tried this rules variant today. I had one question. Are you allowed to build incomplete partial cities up against the "invisible wall" on the outer rim of the 7x7 "Carc Isle"? And thus score those partial cities at the end?

It's very cool playing Carcassone Solo though!

The rules don't specify, but there's a very similar variant where I know they do score against the edge. See it here:

Carcassonne Solomo

I think scoring along the edge was discussed in the SGOYT entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
and Solo Playtester too ^^
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gone through most of the standalone versions of Carcassonne and looked at how compatible they are with this expansion, and as far as I can tell most of them are

List can be found here: Carcassonne Family Carc Island Compatibility

This is a great solo variant for the Carcassonne family, and I have played it a lot and can see myself still playing it in years to come.

Thanks for sharing it with us

[Edit] Geeklist has been updated to include all of the main expansions for the base game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Mammoser
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
10 years later... thanks for this. It works with the Star Wars edition too! I've been counting edges as complete, but with planets (like cloisters) only scoring the 6 tiles instead of 9 if it's on an edge. Great to have some solitaire play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dino B
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
timelady wrote:
10 years later... thanks for this. It works with the Star Wars edition too! I've been counting edges as complete, but with planets (like cloisters) only scoring the 6 tiles instead of 9 if it's on an edge. Great to have some solitaire play

Wait what do you mean Star Wars edition? There is a Carcassonne Star Wars edition?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Finch204 wrote:
timelady wrote:

Wait what do you mean Star Wars edition? There is a Carcassonne Star Wars edition?!?!

Carcassonne: Star Wars

It's an odd game, with Carc's euro sensibilities mashed together with dice combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiore
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! This thread still lives!

I'm so happy folks are still enjoying something I casually posted in 2008. I'm particularly proud because that old blog accidentally got me into the tabletop game business for real!

Thanks, all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Eng
msg tools
Hey just want to give a shout out thanks for creating this varient, I really like your varient and addicted to it
My country (Malaysia) this year uses your solo format as a way to choose pre qualifiers for final and official approves it, it was awesome !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiore
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jessicaeng wrote:
Hey just want to give a shout out thanks for creating this varient, I really like your varient and addicted to it
My country (Malaysia) this year uses your solo format as a way to choose pre qualifiers for final and official approves it, it was awesome !!

That's wonderful!

A few years back, a teacher shared something similar - that she had kids in her game club play solo so that more of them could get playing and learning time in before getting competitive.

Thank you for sharing!

- John Fiore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Das
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
" starting tile will become the center tile of a 7-tile x 7-tile square layout "

Do I have to take THE in the underlined part in a literal or relaxed sense?

Did you intend it to be "the exact center tile" OR more like "a center tile"? The later meaning that the 7x7 grid can shift around it until its position is cemented by having two orthogonal 7-tile-long placements.
I suspect it is the former, the later could be a variant perhaps.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
and Solo Playtester too ^^
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All plays I have seen of the variant have it as the exact center tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiore
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mogust wrote:
All plays I have seen of the variant have it as the exact center tile.

This, as there is a singular center tile in a 7x7 grid.
That said, I don't see why you couldn't test out other possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put a glass bead down on the tile to keep track, so I don't go more than 3 tiles out in any direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Das
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all.

Good tip with the bead marking the center.

The shifting grid idea was inspired by Cities where the 4x4 grid is initially free and becomes fixed during play when two orthogonal lines are created while laying down 4 tiles for each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Das wrote:
Thanks all.

Good tip with the bead marking the center.

The shifting grid idea was inspired by Cities where the 4x4 grid is initially free and becomes fixed during play when two orthogonal lines are created while laying down 4 tiles for each.

Limes (same designer) plays that way too. Your starting tile could end up in the corner if that's the way it plays out. It throws me off when playing Carc Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
profburns
United States
Viera
Florida
flag msg tools
I wish I had this chair.
mbmbmbmbmb
Big fan of this solo variant. Thanks for sharing. I posted a new thread where I allow for more than three discarded just because I always want to try to finish the 7x7 if I can.

I also put your rules in a Google image file so I could print them out and add them to the box. I've linked that here in case anyone else wants them.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1xvzKo1Zdlhier1ioZC_qoMJy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Luke
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, have you considered the fact that the scoring system has a gap? If I complete the island, but score less than 150 points, I am not in any of the three categories... And oddly enough, that seems to be the standard result of my first games with your solo rules. I live the variant anyway, really addictive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiore
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tironelucio wrote:
Hi, have you considered the fact that the scoring system has a gap? If I complete the island, but score less than 150 points, I am not in any of the three categories... And oddly enough, that seems to be the standard result of my first games with your solo rules. I live the variant anyway, really addictive!

Oh, dear! Are you using Inns and Cathedrals in your game? That could be the discrepancy.

Otherwise, I actually don't have an answer to this right now (A) since I originally wrote this back in 2008 and honestly just don't remember the calculations, and (B) I gave my original set to my nephew.

Is it time for a trip to the FLGS, perhaps, for a replacement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |