Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a strategy I have played in a couple 2 player games that works very well. It would be good with more players as well, but its harder to get the actions you want frequently enough.

The strategy is to get an insane amount of coal, then make one trip to the cokery to convert it all to coke and money, then focus on shipping using coke to power and to ship for $5 each.

Keys to the game:

1) Get marketplace. Its a huge help, since then you can use it without paying people. (Plus they pay you to use it). Collect the buildings that give you more resources when you use it, and go there frequently. If you can start getting like 4+ things there, then you can get stuff like: Coal + Iron + Cattle + Grain.

Coal and Iron are the most important things to get off it, the coal is part of your strategy and the iron is extremely helpful, and hard to get a lot of. You'll also want a couple Iron ships to pay for food and allow good shipping later. You Cattle is good for shipping, so is grain to make bread, and clay/wood for building.

2) Get the Colliery. You want to use this every chance you can. Often your priority list will be: Pick Colliery if possible, else pick Marketplace, otherwise do something else. You dont want to have to pay all the time to use it.

Also you need to get one building with a hammer symbol (at least) to make the COlliery efficient. The 4 and 6 cost construction buildings can be good because they have both the hammer and the marketplace symbols.

3) Get at least 3 ships, preferably bigger ones. (You should aim for 4 ships in 2 player).

4) Collect insane amounts of coal. Insane in 2 player is 20+. WIth more players you wont get as many.

5) Go to the Cokery and convert it all to Coke, plus get a ton of money.

6) Ship the Coke. You want to make several big shipments with several ships. Cattle, Bread, and Leather/Hides are great to ship too.

This strategy is very efficient because the Cokery has no limit, and upgrades the value of your shippable goods greatly. Every extra coal you get costs nothing more to convert, but provides a big benefit, so you want as much as possible.

In the end, taking one extra Colliery action will be worth $4 (when you convert), plus $20 when you ship, at a cost of needing to ship 4 goods. Those extra shipments wouldve probably netted you $2-3 with some other good, so youre basically gaining about $12-16 to your final score by using the Colliery action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex, how much do you think players can really implement an "engine" in Le Havre? After all, owning a building just reduces the cost of using it; it doesn't give you the right to use it when it's occupied. (Yes, you can always sell it and then occupy the now town-owned building, but that's a pretty stiff penalty, particularly for the nicer buildings, and I've yet to see someone do it.) So I guess my question is, trying a coal strategy sounds good, but anyone can do it, whether they own the buildings or not. Is this just a general strategy or is ownership of the buildings (yielding an "engine" of sorts) really that important?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you might have noticed, he's referring to a 2-player game as his basis. There is quite little blocking occurring in the 2-player game, so I'm sure he'd just mostly be getting in his own way more than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

1) Get marketplace. Its a huge help, since then you can use it without paying people. (Plus they pay you to use it). Collect the buildings that give you more resources when you use it, and go there frequently. If you can start getting like 4+ things there, then you can get stuff like: Coal + Iron + Cattle + Grain.

Almost always a good idea. A popular building, and cheap to buy.

Coke is indeed very nice to have, especially if you are not going for an all-out building strategy. Of course, turning 3 coke and 6 iron into two Luxury liners isn't bad either.

End of game points seem to come from 4 places:

Building
Special Buildings like the steak house
Shipping
Luxury Liners and Steel ships

You need to set yourself up for at least one of these, and that depends on what you have, and what the other players are letting you get. The first two seem to go well together if you ignore ships for the most part (haven't tried that yet), and the second two go well together if you get a lot of ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK your Stratagy is to ship the most Valuable item that you can get. Seems like that is the basis of the game. I don't count Steel as it is VERY hard to get but the fastest way to make money in this game is shipping and if your gonna ship your going to want to ship the 5f items.

The Cokery usually comes out too late in a 4 player game to be much worth I have found after a fwe plays with 4. You would waste so much time trying to collect and store Coal that you would be deep in Loan Hell due to a lack of food to make this a viable strategy. In a 4 player long game it takes several rounds before the ships come out that would allow you to ship more then 2 good and you would have wasted two turns building wooden ships.

This may work in a 2 player short game though I might try to corner the market on Coke then. Let me know how it works in a 4 player full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Alex, how much do you think players can really implement an "engine" in Le Havre? After all, owning a building just reduces the cost of using it; it doesn't give you the right to use it when it's occupied. (Yes, you can always sell it and then occupy the now town-owned building, but that's a pretty stiff penalty, particularly for the nicer buildings, and I've yet to see someone do it.) So I guess my question is, trying a coal strategy sounds good, but anyone can do it, whether they own the buildings or not. Is this just a general strategy or is ownership of the buildings (yielding an "engine" of sorts) really that important?

In a 2 player game, you never want to spend a long time getting food, so paying food to your opponent is surprising hard to take, especially when you built up your food engine of bread and meat, which means you could over-pay. Francs can solve that problem, but you know how that goes.

BTW, I scored 295 francs in a 2 player game today!!! (My opponent scored 272.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my second game, the colliery was the penultimate card in one of the building stacks. We were very energy deficient that game, even with extensive use of the marketplace, and I think you would have had to switch to a different strategy meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
In my second game, the colliery was the penultimate card in one of the building stacks. We were very energy deficient that game, even with extensive use of the marketplace, and I think you would have had to switch to a different strategy meeple

Uwe is a master at keeping you challenged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:

I'd agree that there aren't "engines" in this game (although this may be less true for 2 player games) because you can't be assured of access to buildings you might want to use. I never mind buying buildings from the town, if I have the cash, as the investment won't erode at all, and it frees up the building. Overall, I find the balances in this game brilliant, as they add a tactical element that prevents any one path from working all the time (and hence the thwarting of "engines"). Still trying to break the 200 mark myself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
There is quite little blocking occurring in the 2-player game

Tell that to the guy that sat on the Wharf for a couple of turns this past Sunday night as I got more and more desperate.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this strategy in two 2 player games saturday.

Game 1: It was the 2nd game for both of us. We both tried this strategy and got made conversions of 15 coal (me) and 16 (my opponent). I owned Marketplace and Colliery so I was getting paid off this strategy.

I converted first and was able to grab some good scoring buildings. Final score: 339 - 308.

Game 2: My 3rd game now, vs a new player. I focused very heavily on the Colliery, and made a conversion of 27 coal to coke (grabbing several buildings from the town), and then right after it did a big coke shipment and grabbed the rest of the buildings. This set me up to score well later off Town Hall and bank.

Final Score: 390 - 290ish. My opponent did well for his first game, but didnt block me on the coal so I got a crazy score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Casadonte wrote:
blueatheart wrote:
There is quite little blocking occurring in the 2-player game

Tell that to the guy that sat on the Wharf for a couple of turns this past Sunday night as I got more and more desperate.....

I think the Wharf is a rare exception for blocking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 2 player game I played recently, I had two buildings while my opponent had like six. Later, he had even more buildings, but they weren't as valuable as my few; I kept building most of the good stuff. In the end, I lost anyway, but it was close.
By the way, ALL of the buildings were either built or bought in that game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
This is a strategy I have played in a couple 2 player games that works very well. It would be good with more players as well, but its harder to get the actions you want frequently enough.

The strategy is to get an insane amount of coal, then make one trip to the cokery to convert it all to coke and money, then focus on shipping using coke to power and to ship for $5 each.

This is pretty powerful as it appears to require fewer actions:

1. You don't need to get spend actions to also get energy for shipping; you just use what you don't ship.

2. The conversion from coal to coke is unlimited, so you can get away doing it once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Perrins
United Kingdom
Benson
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played three games so far (4 & 5 player), may be we've just been unlucky but the coke works has always been among the last buildings to come out or not been built at all. It would be high risk to accumulate coal in the hope of converting it to Coke in the last few rounds after the coke works is built. Better to stay flexible and be in a position to grab the best opportunities as they come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you can always look at the cards and predict the likelihood of the building coming out early enough to take advantage of it. Of course, if EVERYONE were playing this strategy then it would not work. One of the great things about Le Havre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can have the Cokery come out very near the end and still do it. (Probably). You DO need the Colliery to not be late though.

Each game I've played all buildings have been built, sometimes well before the game end (in the 2 player games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes. Probably. You still need time to get to the shipping lines enough time to ship everything you want.

I also still have a steel compulsion so tend to split my focus toward the end. It sounds like you (Alex) has decided that steel just isn't worth it, but it is not like anyone has run the numbers and published anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in Alex's first two-player game and did the steel thing in addition to the coke thing, because I owned the Iron and Steel buildings. I used 7 of my coke to convert 14 iron into steel.

This seemed pretty powerful to me, and perhaps I would have won (despite Alex getting the Marketplace (turn 1) and Colliery if I hadn't miscounted turns and let the town build the Bank, which I had almost all the scoring buildings for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
I also still have a steel compulsion so tend to split my focus toward the end. It sounds like you (Alex) has decided that steel just isn't worth it, but it is not like anyone has run the numbers and published anything.

No, steel is awesome. And its easier to get in this strategy as well.

You hoard some iron via all your marketplace visits + a couple actions grabbing iron. Then when you get coke, you can do one action to convert a bunch to steel, very efficiently, using coke.

Then you use the steel to buy steel ships(s), with which to ship the coke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The coke + Steel strategy also works very well for solo games.

I think that building Iron Ship use too much Iron wich I'll rather convert to Steel and sell later.

So I rather Buy Iron Ship.

To some extend the same is true for buildings requiring Iron, I will rather try to Buy them rather than to build them.

That way I maximize my Iron for Steel conversion wich works well with a coke intensive strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holt
msg tools
Like some other people - I am concerned that the cokery is a problem with game balance. I have been toying with the idea of putting a limit on the number of coal to coke conversions. Has anyone tried playing with a limit? How did it go? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This strategy has decreasing effectiveness as the number of players increases, but I do think the balance is off for the 1p and 2p games. By "balance" I mean "viability of different approaches"; not that it's broken, just that it's too strong a line to not pursue. There are too many false choices presented. I wonder if the game was primarily tested in 3p and 4p configurations, where the coal-coke-steel line has more competition, so opportunities arise pursuing alternate courses.

I'm not sure that the Cokery is the issue here, but perhaps the shipping value of coke itself is too high. Steel seems right, but what if coke was only 4 francs to ship? Or even 3 francs? Energy seems somewhat under-utilized in the game; coke should be part of the steel strategy line, and not an end in itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holt
msg tools
Lowering the shipping value of Coke - that is an interesting idea. That said - I still prefer the idea of putting a limit of 6 of the cokery - it seems to be a more narrrow/targeted solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickloginname wrote:
Lowering the shipping value of Coke - that is an interesting idea. That said - I still prefer the idea of putting a limit of 6 of the cokery - it seems to be a more narrrow/targeted solution.

The Colliery is (I think) intended to be the restricting factor. I like the idea of being able to scrounge for coal however and whenever, and then going nuts and having a huge pile of energy (coke) lying around. But I don't like that as the end in itself. 4f coke creates an organic disincentive to extreme coke production, and opens up challenging alternatives to use the energy profitably or have to settle for shipping some of it. 3f coke might even be better (and I personally like the idea of a having an upgraded good with the same value as the basic good, just because that doesn't appear currently).

But you're right: this is more intrusive than just limiting the Cokery. OTOH, I think it fixes more things, and opens up the game even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.