5 Posts

Formula D» Forums » Rules

Subject: Formula D 'house rules?' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Formula D with two friends and they only want to play using the beginner rules. I don't mind because even with the beginner rules I am enjoying playing Formula D!

We made one minor change to the play of Formula D using the beginner rules.
We reduced the total wear points (WP) from 18 to 12. In the early Formula D sessions, playing with 18WP, everyone was literally blasting through the last 2 or 3 curves, burning up their wear points to get, or stay ahead, of the competition! Cutting down the WP from 18 to 12 now makes us a bit more careful in our gameplay! The other players want to cut the WP even further, but i'm opposed at this point.

I am interested in hearing about changes made to the Formula D beginner or advanced rules by other players!
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mullender
United Kingdom
Newbury
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the drinkers version.

For any points removed from your car take a drink/shot (gin works quite well). Make it a 3 lap race and it all gets rather interesting by the end (best implemented as last game of the night).

It sure stops people burning off those remaining points on the last lap :D

Disclaimer: Over 18's only, Don't blame me if you fall off your chair, Always drink responsibly etc etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatbloke wrote:
Try the drinkers version.

For any points removed from your car take a drink/shot (gin works quite well). Make it a 3 lap race and it all gets rather interesting by the end (best implemented as last game of the night).

It sure stops people burning off those remaining points on the last lap

Disclaimer: Over 18's only, Don't blame me if you fall off your chair, Always drink responsibly etc etc

haha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the basic rules with the following additions/changes:

The roll for a flying start is adjusted by place. Subtract your position on the grid from 17 to see what you need to roll (so 16-20 for 1st, 15-20 for 2nd, 14-20 for third, etc.). Anyone rolling 1-4 is still a stall.

After a move leaving your car one space before a corner, drivers may "slip the clutch", receiving 2 damage to move forward one space.

Any damage from collisions, hard braking or rolling max in 5th or 6th leaves debris on the track. Debris causes damage on a 1-4 (and is then removed).

The dark squares in Monaco each count as two spaces. However, if you have just one movement point left and your next square is a dark one, you may move onto it for just one point.

You may slipstream in any gear.

When your last wear point is used up, you spin out on the square your wear point was lost on. Turn the car backwards and start your next turn in 1st gear. If you lose just one more WP, you're eliminated.

And I'm still trying to think up a way you could disadvantage cars in the lead and give those behind a slight advantage so the rae doesn't become a foregone conclusion once someone pulls ahead. Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voidstate wrote:
And I'm still trying to think up a way you could disadvantage cars in the lead and give those behind a slight advantage so the rae doesn't become a foregone conclusion once someone pulls ahead. Any ideas?

First of all, your suggestions are brilliant. As for this one, I was playing with this idea:

1) At the beginning of the round, in turn order for that round, each player announces and changes gears on his car. No cars are moved yet.
2) Once the gear for the new round has been set for each car, all players roll the gear die that equates tot he gear their car. Note the results. Cars that tie must reroll to break ties.
3) Cars are then moved in the order of the results, from highest to lowest. HOWEVER, each player must reroll his gear die to determine the actual speed of that car.
4) A car may not position itself in such a way that a car that has yet to move is blocked. Cars that have yet to move must be able to move the minimum number of their current gear.

It's a bit clunky and may be a mess, but it feels like it'll add a bit more drama as rear cars catch up. Of course, you can really screw a car in front over. You actually may need more WPs in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.