4 Posts

Formula D» Forums » Rules

Subject: Has anyone used lower range dice for some gears Formula D? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea that I read here in a BGG post was to use die with a lower range(?). Instead of 5th gear die being 11-20 it could be something like 14-20 to keep the cars closer to together during the game. I mentioned this idea to the other players and it was well -received! Probably because myself and another player were battling for first and the third player blew by us to win the game! All of us were in 5th gear; i rolled an 11, the other player rolled a 12 and the winner rolled a 20 took the win! It was still fun and dramatic finish (i saw this as the two cars were busy battling each other and the third car took advantage of our battling to get by us and take the checkered flag). laugh

Has anyone tried this idea? Are such dice with lower ranges available for Formula D?
Thanks!
-Patrocles
can't wait to buy new circuit maps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Formula De yahoo group has "endurance" gear box tables in the files section. This was an alternate dice approach for American LeMans type of races with GT class cars and GTS class cars.

IIRC, the GT gear tables went something like this:

1st Standard 1st gear die
2nd 4 minus the Standard 1st gear die result of 2-3
3rd a die combination resulting in a range of 3-6
4th (The standard 3rd gear die) range 4-8
5th (The standard 4th gear die) range 7-12
6th die combination resulting in range of 10-12

I may not have the ranges exactly right, but I think you get the idea. The alternate gear tables made use of the existing FD dice. I don't recall the combinations but some involved a die MINUS another die, others had you roll two dice and combine them and other combinations were a constant plus or minus a die.

The GT dice are pretty tight, the GTS dice had a bit more spread but still tighter then the official "gears".

Okay, I just looked it up... the GTS 5th gear is the Green (4th gear die) PLUS the Orange (2nd gear die), giving you a range of 9-16 with the '9' and '16' results less common then the 10-15 results. You might try that as an alternative for your 5th gear die and leave gears 1-4 standard.

- C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heckmac wrote:
The Formula De yahoo group has "endurance" gear box tables in the files section. This was an alternate dice approach for American LeMans type of races with GT class cars and GTS class cars.

IIRC, the GT gear tables went something like this:

1st Standard 1st gear die
2nd 4 minus the Standard 1st gear die result of 2-3
3rd a die combination resulting in a range of 3-6
4th (The standard 3rd gear die) range 4-8
5th (The standard 4th gear die) range 7-12
6th die combination resulting in range of 10-12

I may not have the ranges exactly right, but I think you get the idea. The alternate gear tables made use of the existing FD dice. I don't recall the combinations but some involved a die MINUS another die, others had you roll two dice and combine them and other combinations were a constant plus or minus a die.

The GT dice are pretty tight, the GTS dice had a bit more spread but still tighter then the official "gears".

Okay, I just looked it up... the GTS 5th gear is the Green (4th gear die) PLUS the Orange (2nd gear die), giving you a range of 9-16 with the '9' and '16' results less common then the 10-15 results. You might try that as an alternative for your 5th gear die and leave gears 1-4 standard.

- C

interesting! thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The gear ranges for 5th and 6th gear are pretty tremendous. I'd definitely like it to be a little tighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.