Recommend
38 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Neuroshima Hex!» Forums » General

Subject: Differences in Portal 2nd edition and Z-Man edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned the Portal 2nd edition for some time, but decided to grab a copy of the new Z-Man edition so I'd have the expansions that it contains. Here's a breakdown on how the two printings differ.

Rules
The rules are essentially unchanged content-wise. The Z-Man edition leaves out the backstory section, which contained language that some found offensive. ScottE has posted it here for those who are interested:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/348899

The Portal 2nd Edition had both German and English rules, and was black and white other than the cover. The Z-Man rules are in English only, and use color throughout. Part of the rules are in black text on red background, and some may require good lighting to read that section.

The Z-Man edition also has rules for the Mad Bomber and Mercenary counters (see Extras below).

Player Aids
The Z-Man edition pulls the section detailing the unit types and strategies for each army out of the rulebook and puts those instead on 4 mounted cards, printed front and back. This is much handier for the players to use, especially when learning the game. Interestingly, these player aid cards aren't listed in the 'Contents of This Box' section along with the other components. Maybe it was a late decision to include them.

Counters
I've read several accounts of people getting miscut counters in their Portal 2nd edition. I guess I was lucky, because mine are fine. The main difference I see is that the Portal counters have a smooth surface, while the Z-Man counters have a linen texture.

Board
Like the counters, my Portal 2nd has a smooth surface, while the Z-Man has a linen texture. Both use identical artwork. The Portal 2nd has somewhat brighter colors while the Z-Man is a bit more muted.

Box
The box for both games is the same size. The Portal box is constructed from heavier cardboard.

Corrections
In the Portal 2nd Edition, there are two Brawler units and one Super Mutant for Borgo, while in the Z-Man printing there are two Super Mutants and one Brawler (I've read elsewhere that the names may be attached to the wrong graphics for these two, but since these editions both use the same names, I'll stick with that). The Brawler is substantially stronger than the Super Mutant, so the Borgo faction is stronger in the Portal version than in the Z-Man. I understand that the Z-Man has the intended force mix, and provides the better balance.

Extras
The Portal 2nd edition has 4 blank counters, 1 each for the 4 factions as determined by background color. Z-Man added 4 Mercenaries and 1 Mad Bomber instead of the blanks.

Russ Williams posted an image of the Mad Bomber under the listing for that expansion:



The Z-Man art is the same, although as noted above the counters are textured differently.

I couldn't find an image of the Mercenaries, so I uploaded one myself:



I've probably forgotten something, but hopefully that should give you a good idea of how the two printings differ.
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. As someone who loved NH but was holding out for the Z-Man edition (and is buying it this week), this information is perfect. Just what I was looking for. I knew Zev's work would be top notch.

Sphere wrote:
The Z-Man edition pulls the section detailing the unit types and strategies for each army out of the rulebook and puts those instead on 4 mounted cards, printed front and back. This is much handier for the players to use, especially when learning the game. Interestingly, these player aid cards aren't listed in the 'Contents of This Box' section along with the other components. Maybe it was a late decision to include them.


I seem to remember one of our fellow BGGers saying that he was the one who got Zev to include them in the game, and the impression I got was that that BGGer had designed them as well. It's in an old thread here somewhere... Anyway, nice to see Zev willing to accept suggestions as he does his work.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:
Thanks. As someone who loved NH but was holding out for the Z-Man edition (and is buying it this week), this information is perfect. Just what I was looking for. I knew Zev's work would be top notch.

Sphere wrote:
The Z-Man edition pulls the section detailing the unit types and strategies for each army out of the rulebook and puts those instead on 4 mounted cards, printed front and back. This is much handier for the players to use, especially when learning the game. Interestingly, these player aid cards aren't listed in the 'Contents of This Box' section along with the other components. Maybe it was a late decision to include them.


I seem to remember one of our fellow BGGers saying that he was the one who got Zev to include them in the game, and the impression I got was that that BGGer had designed them as well. It's in an old thread here somewhere... Anyway, nice to see Zev willing to accept suggestions as he does his work.

Yeah, I was the person that made those ref cards and they are available in the download section. When I did them originally I noticed several wording issues with the English translation so worked with fellow BBGers to rewrite them to be more consistent.

I talked with Zev a few times about the ref cards and he was interested in getting my rewording of the rules. I told him he was welcome to use them in his version of the game but didn't hear back so assumed he wasn't interested. And then when the first pictures of the game from Essen appeared I was very surprised to see my ref cards!

I'm very happy to see the rewriting of the rules we did are now considered official and that the ref cards got used in an official product.

I am planning to do ref cards for Neuroshima Hex! Babel13 once I get my copy in the mail. Hopefully Zev will want to include them if he does the expansion too.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And hopefully you will get a ref at the rulebook or something if you haven't already.

Anyway, you will always have our thanks!! Babel 13 feels heavy when i play without your player aids to check all the time.
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ZiNOS wrote:
And hopefully you will get a ref at the rulebook or something if you haven't already.

Anyway, you will always have our thanks!! Babel 13 feels heavy when i play without your player aids to check all the time.

Thanks! That was the reason I did them originally. Constantly referencing the manual seemed way too annoying and I didn't think my friends would enjoy the game without ref cards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My Portal version had mercenaries instead of the blank tiles as well. No Mad Bomber though. Guess they changed that in later printings...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere in 2009 Portal released 2.5 edition. It contains Mercenaries and corrects this error in printing of army tiles:

Quote:
In the Portal 2nd Edition, there are two Brawler units and one Super Mutant for Borgo, while in the Z-Man printing there are two Super Mutants and one Brawler
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
killy9999 wrote:
Somewhere in 2009 Portal released 2.5 edition. It contains Mercenaries and corrects this error in printing of army tiles:

Quote:
In the Portal 2nd Edition, there are two Brawler units and one Super Mutant for Borgo, while in the Z-Man printing there are two Super Mutants and one Brawler
So do they have the same tiles now and the mercenaries? Still no mad bomber? Or do they have the same content except the user guides? Or maybe even the user guides?

If one buy Z-man with linen finish expansions will still be portal without linen?

Also Z-man is more expensive here in Europe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goddammit! Quality and on time delivery are not mutually exclusive!
United States
Shelby Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And when will Z-Man be formally announcing Steel Police and Dancer?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the POLISH copy also come with english rules?
haslo wrote:
My Portal version had mercenaries instead of the blank tiles as well. No Mad Bomber though. Guess they changed that in later printings...
killy9999 wrote:
Somewhere in 2009 Portal released 2.5 edition. It contains Mercenaries and corrects this error in printing of army tiles:

Quote:
In the Portal 2nd Edition, there are two Brawler units and one Super Mutant for Borgo, while in the Z-Man printing there are two Super Mutants and one Brawler
So same army setup but they still miss the mad bomber? Can anyone confirm that it's for sure not in there?

Not that I know what it does but it suck to be without one thing ;D

Still no linen finish?

Which one do you prefer?

I think linen on boards look nice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Do the POLISH copy also come with english rules?
yes, at least mine did (I have printing from 2010).

Quote:
So same army setup but they still miss the mad bomber? Can anyone confirm that it's for sure not in there?
No Mad Bomber in Polish edition

Quote:
Not that I know what it does but it suck to be without one thing ;D
i printed myself a copy
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
killy9999 wrote:
i printed myself a copy
If it's drawn from a stack of tiles that don't seem soo good. Better if drawn from a bag.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you should read the rules? They are the expansions page Neuroshima Hex! Mad Bomber

Quote:
The Mad Bomber is a single unit who belongs to no player nor army. He starts the game on the center of the map. If he receives any damage during a battle, he immediately explodes in the same phase, causing a point of damage to units in all 6 neighboring hexes (except headquarters). He then will be drawn as the first tile by the next player in turn order after the one who caused the bomber to be hit, and that player can deploy him on the map again. If more than one player hits him in the same initiative phase of the battle, then he is knocked out of the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.