Popular Tags: [View All]
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds weird but can anyone who watches anime tell me an anime where when the anime ended you felt that it completed succesffully and left you feeling good, instead of wanting another season or more episodes or such. I think I have only seen one anime that I really didn't want to go on and that was Maison Ikkoku. I have also seen about 100+ animes and somehow get dissapointed in the end like always.

I'm wondering if anyone has any anime that they feel have a really good ending without needing anything else. I am interested in seeing one like that in case I haven't seen it already. Thanks and leave your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Anime tends to have ambiguous or even unhappy endings, which is a strength I reckon. The ones that seem conclusive to me pretty much all have unhappy endings.

Anyway, here are the ones that I think have a clear, satisfying ending (generally because most of the characters are dead):

Berserk
Chobits
Haibane Renmei
Macross Plus
Perfect Blue
Texnholyze
Trigun
most of the Ghibli movies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Berserk??! What!? All you get from the anime is the first story arc of the much longer, and so far more satisfying, manga series. What you get in the anime is just setup.

Now, for my list:
Full Metal Alchemist (Once you add the extended-ending movie)
Death Note
Monster
Rurouni Kenshin (the extra arc on the manga is good, yet unnecessary)
Saikano
Maison Ikkoku
Now, Then, Here, There
Nadesico
Hikaru No Go (The manga finishes at a far worse spot IMO)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress, the Patlabor movies, Jin-Roh, Akira, and Grave of Fireflies. There are others, but I find the movies typically are better at closure because they have a shorter story arc to work with (2 hours) and don't have 25 or more episodes of sub-plots to tie up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Full Metal Alchemist (Once you add the extended-ending movie)

No way. I *want* MORE!

This is the first 26+ episode series I really really really enjoyed which took me by surprise. While they tied mostly everything up, there's still room *hoping* for more movies or another series. But then I should just be happy the first one was so good I can watch it over and over again.

After checking out the wiki it looks like another series is being worked on.... oooooohhhh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Berserk??! What!? All you get from the anime is the first story arc of the much longer, and so far more satisfying, manga series. What you get in the anime is just setup.

I reckon Berserk (and Death Note for that matter) really should have ended after the first arc. Everything after that seems like a incredibly long and silly epilogue after the natural climax of the story. Tragedy turns to farce.

But I agree with you about Hikaru no Go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S. We totally need an anime guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally anime movies have clear endings that are satisfying. I do agree that Kenshin ended ok when you finish off the OVAs. Saikano also had a decent ending. Most of these new animes are always striving for another season it makes me sick...which is generally why I don't choose to watch many. I generally watch those school animes like da capo(though I have to say only the first one was any good....none of the second seasons or 2 was really that good) and romance animes as well as comedy. I feel that at least the drama and romance animes should at least have a good solid ending, and a good ending is definently not just the girl and guy kissing after 26 eps. That's a really bad ending since the relationship went nowhere lol. We should have an anime guild since I see that at least we have different tastes but it is always neat to see people's ideas about animes they watch and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw sbszine I do agree that a lot of tragic endings do end the series totally. These are still an interesting thing such as an Asian Drama where you know the person is likely going to die at the end of the series. Just cause it's tragic doesn't necessarily means it's not a happy ending, but generally with the anime it seems that way in most anime nowadays. There is some like Welcome to the NHK where it's hard to tell what is happy and stuff....I liked that one enough and it is pretty awesome, but i wish the relationship was more developed overall with the ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I was pleased by the ending of Now and Then, Here and There. Other episodics that seemed to end fairly well include: Solty Rei, Infinite Ryvius, Planetes, and Zone of the Enders. They're not necessarily top shelf material outside of Now and Then, Here and There, but they were at least worth the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rasmussen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Kisu~
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a hard time thinking of any not already mentioned, but one that does come to mind is Legend of Galactic Heroes. It's really long, but worth the watch if you enjoy space opera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragonball Z!!

devil
heehee...sorry, even I couldn't type that with a straight face...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKA Halston Thrombeaux
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Inuyasha - don't you remember, it ended around episode 80 or so, when they finally got to Naraku's castle, killed him and then Inuyasha and Kagome got married and lived happily ever after.

What's that you say? Naraku just disappeared and there were 100 more episodes where they just ran around fighting pointless minibosses DBZ-style? I have no idea what you're talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja Scroll. A clear ending, albeit quite bloody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
AKIRA!!

//Huh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Akira is the most overrated anime ever...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akira... Ick.

I liked Last Exile. It had a fairly soild ending. Though, I went WTF!? as they flew off. .

Wolf's Rain is also good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to see now and then, here and there....have it in the anime backlog along with some other animes here like nadeisco, every space opera out there, just about every older series including some mech series. I'm currently watching Honey and clover 2 and about 4 eps away from the ending of the series. I see it crashing and burning sadly....too many of these eps have had wasted potential. Why oh why have they done this to my series. Oh well it happens to the best. Btw did anyone ever finish that tsukiyomi moon phase, I found the anime to be progressing very nicely..?I already saw up to ep 18 or so, but never finished it. Was freaking cute and the action was decently cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:

So then weren't you satisfied when it was over?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe I forgot Cowboy Bebop...that one ended very well esp with the Knockin' on Heavens Door movie thing. It's pretty sad when I can see more wasted potential on animes I have seen then ones that ended well. Somehow I thought of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and remember how that series was awesome for like 2 eps, terrible for like 5 eps, and the rest was ok....with a terrible ending!(I know this anime is universally loved, but after ep 2 you see one of the most annoying main characters ever....such a loser...enough said without spoiling it) Glad they have the new OVA but still it's more a what if story then a true extension to the series, though it is decent enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:

Awwwww!

That's partly because it was one of the first very successful ones in the U.S. so for a long time it's the only one anyone outside of anime knew of. The other part is that for its time the animation is very impressive (especially the first 15min), which made it successful. I enjoyed the story too, enough to watch it at least once a year.

In a similar vein the Heavy Metal Movie also did some firsts back at the start of the 80s. I never understood it's popularity but some of the animation was really neat. I'm not sure if it's correct, but a pal mentioned it included the first animated sequence where the "camera" (us I guess) fully panned 360 around an animated object (some type of plane or ship).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree couldn't watch much of the later eps to Inu Yasha....just not good stuff imho. I liked the mini series the creator put out at the time way more than Inu Yasha....more refined and cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rasmussen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Kisu~
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. I thought the ending was really well done. It took me like three days to emotionally recover after seeing it. Yes I am a wuss.

I enjoyed Tsukuyomi Moon Phase. It wasn't very good, but it was funny and quirky show, and I liked the characters (especially Hazuki :3 ). The ending didn't really resolve much, but I didn't watch it for the story anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of my hate for kimi ga nozomu eien was for the main guy character. He pissed me off to no extent and literally made me scream at the screen. The 2 main girls in the series are really well done...but that guy....ugg! Btw on the subject of moon phase...cute avatar, and the manga for the series was terrible to no extent. No life in it at all and was suprised they got a pretty decent anime out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw I cried a lot during the Maison Ikkoku last 16 episodes or so. They were so well done and the characters felt really natural....it was quite beautiful. This was also true of the last few eps of Kodomo no Omocha, even though I have to say the last part of the last ep is one of the most disappointing things I've ever seen. It is hard for me to get really attached to these characters, but when it happens...wow does it happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.