Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: POLL: How often do your humans survive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A while ago, SevenSpirits did a poll asking for people's perception of game balance in BSG. However, it didn't actually ask how often humans were actually winning. So, I've decided to find out how things have really been turning out in the end. I've chose to limit the poll to 5 players only, because it seems to be the "sweet spot" for gameplay according to many posters and because I don't feel like making a huge questionnaire. If you've played several games of BSG, please share your results, and I'd love to hear the details as well.
Thanks.

EDIT: Pick all that apply for the second and third questions.
Poll: How do your BSG games typically end?
1. In what percentage of your 5 player games do the humans survive?
90%-100%
70%-89%
50%-69%
30%-49%
10%-29%
0%-9%
2. When Cylons win, which is usually true?
Either side could have won right up to the end.
The humans had no chance.
Galactica gets swarmed by the Cylon fleet.
The humans run out of Fuel.
The humans run out of Population.
The humans run out of Morale.
The humans run out of Food.
Other.
3. Which of the following is usually true when the humans win?
The game could have gone either way up until the end.
The Cylons had no chance.
There were very few relevant combats.
Humans identified the Cylons early.
There were no Cylons before the Sleeper Phase.
The fleet made very few jumps.
Humans played a lot of Launch Scout cards.
Other.
      54 answers
Poll created by bsushort
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick, what is this "When the humans win" of which you speak?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Davis wrote:
Nick, what is this "When the humans win" of which you speak?

Surprisingly common in my playgroup, compared to what others have been saying. Although I think we've just had a lot of "Either way" games where the humans win the coin flip at the end.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Didn't answer as the poll seems to be bias, and I didn't like the options I was given.

Care to elaborate on what portions of this poll are biased? It seems like it covers the spectrum from easy human wins to easy cylon wins, and all the typical ways humans can win or lose the game.

The only constricting part of this poll is it's only for 5-player games. All my games so far have been with 3 or 4 players, so I can't participate in this poll.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Didn't answer as the poll seems to be bias, and I didn't like the options I was given.

You are asking multiple questions inside the second and third questions. For question 2 do I answer which resource ran out and ended the game or do I answer the game could have gone either way up to the end? Same thing with the third question, those should have been seperated out. Your trying to cover to much in each question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Raquet
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
you answer both, the poll allows you to choose more than one option...it was designed specifically to allow what you are asking about.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kurtreznor wrote:
you answer both, the poll allows you to choose more than one option...it was designed specifically to allow what you are asking about.
I haven't played with 5 so I didn't answer the poll.

If choosing more than one is an option then you should state that in your question.

How do you interpet the results when you have 2 questions inside one question?

Also by not asking how many games they've played or requiring that people play a certain number of games before answering the poll then the first question doesn't tell you much either. 1 person said the humans survived 100% of the time and 6 people said they survived 0-10% of the time. If those 7 people only played once, what does it do to your poll? What if some of those 7 played with each other?

I would say your poll data is invalid because your questions are bad. Based on the results so far what conclusions would you draw?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eightbit wrote:
Based on the results so far what conclusions would you draw?

I'd say human victories are more often close games than Cylon victories. Also, there is no single victory/loss condition which dominates the game.

As for the win percentages, I knew that those would have a large margin of error, but it still shows a wide spread. But I'm not really looking for the mathematical win percentages, I'm more interested in whether Cylons were truly dominant (I set the bar for dominance pretty high). I'd say they are not dominant, though they seem to win more often than they lose.

EDIT: Sorry about not stating multiple options could be chosen. I'm so used to radio buttons and check boxes that I inadvertently assume other people are too. Square boxes always means multiple answers may be chosen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap.

Apparently the people who see Cylon blowouts are simply much faster to answer this poll than the people who think it's even.

I wish I had taken a screenshot of the earlier results. For the "when the cylons win..." question,
- "Either side could have won right up to the end." was at about 4.
- "The humans had no chance." was at about 10.

Now, they're at 18/13!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bsushort wrote:
Davis wrote:
Nick, what is this "When the humans win" of which you speak?

Surprisingly common in my playgroup, compared to what others have been saying. Although I think we've just had a lot of "Either way" games where the humans win the coin flip at the end.

Is your playgroup fairly honest/helpful? Or naturally suspicious/paranoid? Do the human players prefer a straightforward game? Or do they foster tension to heighten the atmosphere?

I think these tendencies swing common game outcomes to one side or the other. Obviously, the game mechanics sometimes switch things up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Endres
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
MrSkeletor wrote:

It doesn't ask how many 5 player games I have had, which is one (human loss). It also doesn't give the option in question 3 to say "the humans made too many mistakes." which is what we did (we had the wrong guy brigged for half the game.)

If I answer this poll it makes it sound like I'm saying the game is biased heavily towards the cylon winning. But that's not true - the humans did get their ass kicked but it's because we played poorly.


To be fair you had me and the other human (I use it in the loosest of terms) in the brig for half the game!

I would have to say that the better team definitely won though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Simon
United States
Ashley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, I think that the impulse is to say that the game is unbalanced towards a Cylon win, but I do not think that is the case at all. I think that the game is incredibly balanced, but it is hard to reflect that in the poll. I cannot pick a 50-50 split without hitting a 19% spread in either direction. I think the reason why people think that the game favors the Cylons is that the humans cannot afford to make as many mistakes as a Cylon player can. You could play the entire game with no Cylon and the game mechanics could make it possible for the humans to lose if they play poorly or stupidly. So, the humans do not have the luxury of making mistakes or hesitating like a Cylon player does.

However, that being said, an experienced group knows which skill checks can be lost, how to conserve cards by knowing how many cards to put in without overkilling a skill check, and what resources are available in Quorum and destination cards. Therefore, with a few plays and those basic tenets understood, the game is incredibly balanced for experienced players. The Cylon then also needs to be experienced and aware of what he or she needs to do to fetter and harrass the humans in the most optimal way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Inks
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
It also doesn't give the option in question 3 to say "the humans made too many mistakes." which is what we did (we had the wrong guy brigged for half the game.)

If I answer this poll it makes it sound like I'm saying the game is biased heavily towards the cylon winning. But that's not true - the humans did get their ass kicked but it's because we played poorly.


Does it matter how well you played? Could it not be a reflection of how well the Cylon player performed his role in the game? Deflecting attention and planting false accusations on the human players.

The game happened and had a conclusion, how did it turn out?
-the humans lost? how?

Where is this biased?

I don't think this was intended to be statistically accurate.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When we started playing this game, I'd say that the Cylons clearly had the advantage. But as we played more, the game has reached a balance. We played 4 games over the weekend. 2 Cylons wins (1 barely) and 2 Human wins (1 barely).

I do agree that the Humans cannot afford to frak up and must play smart to win. Since the likelihood of a traitor in the opening is pretty good in a 5 player game, they can pretty much send the humans south with a well-played, unrevealed strategy. So it's up to the humans to seriously watch how things go and try to ferret out any Cylons ASAP while playing just enough good cards without overkill.

The one Cylon win that was "barely" stemmed from the fact that there was a LOT of space combat going on the entire game. Having to use cards to destroy raiders made it hard to pass checks, which was further compounded by a clever Cylon playing a different type of card to keep us guessing who it was. In the end, Apollo and Baltar took turns sabotaging checks by contributing different skill cards while remaining hidden (it was Baltar's Cylon detector that allowed him to discover his partner in crime, so they were able to silently work together).

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.