Subject: Can I cast “combat” spells at the start of the movement phase? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
I see most spells cards read:

Any Phase: XXXXXX

Basically I want to confirm that a player can cast a spell he intends to use in combat at the start of his movement. This way if the player fails the casting attempt, he can choose to not move into the space with the monster (he can choose to not fight the monster since his "buffing" spell did not work.)

Or are players supposed to enter combat, then TRY to cast their combat spells?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure it's the latter; you can only cast it once in Combat. Otherwise you could cast it before combat, then enter Combat and use the Hands that should be dedicated to the spell to a weapon instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
StatSig wrote:
Pretty sure it's the latter; you can only cast it once in Combat. Otherwise you could cast it before combat, then enter Combat and use the Hands that should be dedicated to the spell to a weapon instead.

Not really. I would go into the battle with hands tied according to which spell I cast before the battle.

Anyway I'm not trying to abuse the system, I just want to know what was the intent of the game designers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice question! I was pretty sure I had seen them all by now. I had always played you cast a combat spell when combat is eminent in the move phase...never payed attention to the "any phase" part of the card. On the face of it it does seem as if you could cast early to be sure...but I await the experts as I can't be bothered digging out the rule book atm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mosher
United States
Keizer
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, you exhaust a spell once you cast it, so its effects would not linger into combat if you cast before combat begins (or, before you move).

Thematically, half the draw of using spells is the risk that they won't come off as planned. That skill check for spell casting is terrifying. The point is that your hand limit is swallowed up whether you successfully cast the spell or not. Once you pick up a two hander, that's it, even if you roll a nice set of ones. Then you've walked up to the Gug with nothing to swing, because you're just holding the wrinkled tome, looking more like a math teacher than a monster whacker.

I would say, for the sake of the game, no casting for combat before combat begins.
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You cast the spell ONLY when you enter combat, not before. The reason it says "Any Phase" is because Combat can happen in Phases 2, 3, or 4. Instead of listing "Movement, Arkham Encounters, or Other World Encounters:" on the card, they went with the space saving phrase "Any Phase:"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
ColtsFan76 wrote:
You cast the spell ONLY when you enter combat, not before. The reason it says "Any Phase" is because Combat can happen in Phases 2, 3, or 4. Instead of listing "Movement, Arkham Encounters, or Other World Encounters:" on the card, they went with the space saving phrase "Any Phase:"

Now that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

The Colt has spoken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Cuajinais wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Now that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
If it somewhere on any of these cards or in the rules the words "Only during combat" or likewise would appear then it would a whole lot more sense.

I'll keep interpreting "Any phase" as just that and NOT as "Any phase but only during combat" until I get an official ruling or a really good explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
OK. Well these cards are only good during the phase in which they are cast. So if you really want to cast something intended for Combat in the Upkeep phase, go for it. But it will be "spent" before you get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert West
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you end your movement on a square with two monsters and cast a spell to use against the first, it doesn't stick around for the second. You have to either recast it, or if the spell is exhausted you can't use it again. It's only good for one combat. So if you cast the spell before combat starts then it's effect wears off by the time you start combat in your case.

Just think about the intention of the rules and it makes since that it would work that way as well. It just feels wrong because most things in AH are a gamble and not a decision you can make like, if the spell works I'll fight and if not I won't fight. But what's the problem? Nothing is stopping you from house ruling it if you really want to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.