16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solo playing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vítor Marques
Portugal
flag msg tools
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me some help to choose a game to play alone...since I don't have many friends who like board games, I don't want to be excuse to dont play by myself

I prefere RPG and fantasy/horror games...and I think that games wich last more than 2 hours would become kinda boring :S

I read good reviews about Arkham Horror but it could take hours to finish a game...and I hear about Ingenious too but I don't know if I'm gonna like it since it's an abstract game :|

Oh, and I'm a newbie so I don't wanna a very complex game laugh

Well tell you justice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cole
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Touch of Evil plays well solo if you use the coop rules. I would also recommend Race for the Galaxy w/ Gathering Storm with it's solo play. Pandemic is another good solo but it really doesn't fit into the horror theme, unless you thought Outbreak was a horror movie. Agricola is another solo game, but again not sure if you would like the theme of being a farmer, and I am not sure how long the solo game takes. I know the regular version can last awhile.

Have you thought about online gaming at Gametable, Mabiweb, or BSW to name a few?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greets,

my advice is to put ur energies into finding other gamers, as i too have tried solo gaming with little success. It could depend on your personality and i've learned that i really under estimated my value on the social aspect of gaming when i tried gaming solo.

Here are some of the games that i think do work though:

1. runebound. it's RPG in boardgame form and totally works in a solo setting. It can be a long game if you follow the out of the box rules, however there is a great list to shorten the gameplay on the runebound bgg page.

2. agricola. the 'gric has an official solo variant that actually works pretty well since you get a random set of cards to start the game, it's kind of interesting to work your way towards the scores.

3. lotr. the lotr co-op game has an official solo variant also and since it's a co-op game where the players playing against the game it also can work 'ok' as a solo game.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not try Zombie in my Pocket. It's a solitaire game, it's horror, it's free (all the game pieces are in the files section) and...er...it fits in your pocket...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Arkham Horror. Yes it takes a few hours to play but it's certainly not boring. It doesn't feel like you've played a few hours. And it looks like it would be a perfect fit for your "RPG and fantasy/horror games" wishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edy Ferreira
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendations:

Lord of the Rings
Runebound (Second Edition) (Using Mr Skeletor variant http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/122763 ). For solo, it can be played in less than 2 hours

Some other solo fantasy/Horror games that I have not tried yet:

Return of the Heroes
DungeonQuest
Ghost Stories

Free PnP solo fantasy games:

The Dungeon of D
Island Of D
Island Of D 2: The Shadow of Dawn
Maze of the Red Mage: A Solitaire Dungeon Adventure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave A. H.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The only problem I see with playing by yourself, what's really going to stop you from cheating?

Besdies, if you already know what's going to happen, it's seems parctically useless to play it out.

My suggesstion: get on myspace, Facebook, Yahoo!, ect. or just go to your local comic shop and drop ads for starting a game.

Or, maybe you could casually mention something to someone at work. That's how I met my current GM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
spare wrote:
The only problem I see with playing by yourself, what's really going to stop you from cheating?

Integrity? Or common sense? What would be the point in cheating yourself?

Quote:
Besdies, if you already know what's going to happen, it's seems parctically useless to play it out.

But you don't already know what's going to happen. You still have to play it out. And playing it out is the whole fun of it.

Quote:
My suggesstion: get on myspace, Facebook, Yahoo!, ect. or just go to your local comic shop and drop ads for starting a game.

Or, maybe you could casually mention something to someone at work. That's how I met my current GM.

My suggestion: Play some solitaire games if you feel like it. See if it works for you. Forget all those comments about games only being fun when played by two or more people; some folks are just so extroverted or whatever that they can't imagine playing a game solo. But Solitaire and Patience have a long history; countless people have found some gaming satisfaction that way. And other kinds of games can be enjoyed by oneself also.

When you want an opponent and can find one, great. When you don't want one or can't find one, it's nice to know there are still games you can enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
They are off the mark as RPG type games, but two games sprang to mind when I saw your post's title:

Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm is an expasion to Race for the Galaxy which has a solo variant which has been very well received.

But my favorite solo game is B-17: Queen of the Skies. I guess there is the horror of watching your plane get blown up in that one

Edit:
And now that I submitted a third came to mind that actually fits your theme choice... Take a look at Tomb. I'm thinking of getting it to scratch my D&D itch and it has a solo variant that seems worthwhile.

Good luck in your search!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Donnell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add my vote to Runebound for solo. There's enough variety in the cards (especially if you pick up some of the smaller expansions) to give the game a great deal of longevity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vítor Marques
Portugal
flag msg tools
Well thx guys now I have a wider idea about what to look for...but keep on comming suggestions laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Fletcher
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
I am awaited in Valhalla!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently been playing Immortal King: The Den on Dementia solitaire. It's very challenging and pretty fun. I have yet to win in 5 plays but I've come close. It's basically a dungeon crawl card game. It's fairly cheap and there are three different versions which can be mix together or played seperately.

Red November is another co-op that can be played solitaire. It's better as a multiplayer co-op to be sure but I still have enjoyed my solo sessions.

I've just picked up Ghost Stories which is for 1-4 players. I havn't played it solo yet but from what I here it's quite a bit of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How to Host a Dungeon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely try Pandemic. Space Alert sounds like it will be great solo too. I've just ordered Ghost Stories, and it looks like a good solo game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
The games I enjoy the most playing solo are:

Pandemic
Red November
Micropul

The first two are cooperative, so they play very well solo, and the 3rd has a very good solo variant, though you will have to make your own set (many files are available on the game page).

Well, the one I enjoy the most really is:

Commands & Colors: Ancients

but I play both sides, so technically not a solitaire game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.