Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game today, and I noticed something. There's no limit on how much the opening player can move around, except the he cannot EXCEED the zero space on the time track. Now, what's to stop player one from moving around a whole lot, until the marker is on space one, followed by all the other players, and then just get rescued on the second turn? Something I missed in the rules? Or am I just gaming the system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
You must move you marker through every space on the time track, and every space with the event marker that you pass through you must draw a card. The more cards that you draw on your turn the less likely you will be able to deal with them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
figarojones wrote:
I just got this game today, and I noticed something. There's no limit on how much the opening player can move around, except the he cannot EXCEED the zero space on the time track. Now, what's to stop player one from moving around a whole lot, until the marker is on space one, followed by all the other players, and then just get rescued on the second turn? Something I missed in the rules? Or am I just gaming the system?

The first player can do that no problem. He can then go home, as his game is over.

But at the end of his turn, there's going to be 20 or so bad events triggered, and half the sub will be flooded and on fire and have locked hatches, and the nukes are about to be launched etc, that everyone else is going to have to deal with before they too can reach the zero space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
And the first player is also only rescued if all the other players die or reach the last space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if u're going to make the turn sequence u described it'll be probably the only move u will do in the game

if the rest of the crew reaches your marker position u'll be saved and the game will end but its more likely that the sub will collapse before! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is worth noting that, elsewhere on the forums, the designer has made a rule-change cannon to avoid this particular problem, where the first player uses 50 minutes, is lucky to get aqualung, and then exits the sub using the abandon ship rules:

You can only abandon ship if your time tracker has reached 10 minutes, as opposed to the official rules using the ghost tracker.

With this ruling, the evading player may run around 50 minutes, but then have to wait for all the others to reach him before he can take his turn again, effectively making this tactic useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
Note to self: I will look rulings up personally, and not argue on the basis of other people's forum posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it makes sense. I posted it, then played a solo game with two gnomes, and it became apparent that it wouldn't work very well, unless everyone was EXTREMELY lucky. It just seemed like a gigantic hole in the rules, so I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything about first turn limitations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, you got it exactly right. Hypothetically, if everyone is EXTRMELY lucky, then you can make it. The chances of that happening, though, are practically nil. I think literally nil, in fact, but I can't be 100% sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.