Subject: Ripper cross bow vs dodge vs aim rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stevie dman
United States
broomfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the new crossbow Ripper from TOI allows oyou to reroll a single dice when making range combat attack. Now, what is the effect when you aim (do you get to reroll all and then an extra one or just all of them?
) and that is the effect if the monsters dodge (does it cancle like aim vs dodge)

help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not gotten TOI yet cry but doesn't it state somewhere that you can only ever reroll a specific die once?

We will have to wait for the FAQ-update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic rules:

Quote:
Under no circumstances may a single attack ever be re-rolled more than once. If an attack is affected by both a dodge and an aimed attack, then the two effects cancel each other and the attack is not
re-rolled at all.

So, the ripper effect is irrelevent when combined with aim. As for dodge, I would say either dodge takes precidence, or the player can choose 1 die which will be immune to dodge, the OL can force rerolls of the remaining dice.

I suspect it won't matter that much - choose a method that works for you and stick with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
Basic rules:

Quote:
Under no circumstances may a single attack ever be re-rolled more than once. If an attack is affected by both a dodge and an aimed attack, then the two effects cancel each other and the attack is not
re-rolled at all.

So, the ripper effect is irrelevent when combined with aim. As for dodge, I would say either dodge takes precidence, or the player can choose 1 die which will be immune to dodge, the OL can force rerolls of the remaining dice.

I suspect it won't matter that much - choose a method that works for you and stick with it.

Note that Dodge and Aim cancel. This suggests that part-dodge effects and part-aim effects would also part-cancel.

I would argue in my group for this to be the usage of the ToI re-roll item capabilities;
Aim + reroll one dice (R1D) (attacking) = ignore the R1D ability because you can't reroll twice.
Dodge + R1D (attacking) = the R1D cancells the dodge for one dice only so the Attacker may choose one dice which cannot be force-rerolled by the dodge.
Aim + Dodge + R1D (attacking) = ignore both Aim and Dodge (they cancel) and treat the attack as a normal attack (thus with R1D).
Dodge + reroll one dice (R1D) (defending) = ignore the R1D ability because you can't reroll twice.
Aim + R1D (defending) = the R1D cancells the Aim for one dice only so the Defender may choose one dice which cannot be force-rerolled by the Aim.
Aim + Dodge + R1D (defending) = ignore both Aim and Dodge (they cancel) and treat the attack as a normal attack (thus with R1D).

This is dangerously logical though, and thus may be an inappropriate ruling for Descent.

It also is counter to the specific ruling for the two heroes that have 'partial re-roll' skills (Trenloe and Lyssa). In both cases the Hero's special ability specifically says that it does not apply if either Dodge or Aim is being used (however if they cancel each other then they are effectively not being used).
[Edit: the Hero's special]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
Note that Dodge and Aim cancel. This suggests that part-dodge effects and part-aim effects would also part-cancel.

Hrm, I dunno. I'm not sold on the "Dodge & Aim make you reroll dice, ergo any limited reroll is like a mini Dodge/Aim" argument.

corbon wrote:
It also is counter to the specific ruling for the two heroes that have 'partial re-roll' skills (Trenloe and Lyssa). In both cases the Hero's special ability specifically says that it does not apply if either Dodge or Aim is being used (however if they cancel each other then they are effectively not being used).

Now this precedent, coupled with the "never more than 1 reroll" rule mentioned above, makes a stronger case for me.

Until being told otherwise, I would assume that any die reroll offered by a weapon cannot be used if the attacker is aiming, or if the target is dodging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.