Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a second game of "Technical Difficulties". A lot of fun. A few questions came up during play that I wonder if we can find answers for.

Destroying Support Weapons

A US Ranger squad eliminated a Somali half-squad carrying a RPG support weapon. Per the rules, the RPG stays in place. Later, the Ranger squad moved into the same square as the RPG. The Ranger squad had plenty of support weapons and did not want to pick up the RPG, but the US player knew that the Somalis would simply pick-up the RPG again as soon as he vacated the space. He asked if he could destroy the RPG. I (as the Somali player) said that I thought it was reasonable that he could destroy it during the Rally Phase, but after a consultation with the rulebook, we decided that there was no rule (that we could find) that covered the situation, so we just left the RPG there.

Can a unit destroy a SW (enemy or friendly) at any point? We felt it was reasonable for that option to exist, but we couldn't find a rule relating to it. I can think of situations where a unit might wish to destroy an enemy SW (as above) or their own SW to prevent it from falling into the hands of the enemy.

One possible way of handling it would be to allow destruction of SWs during the rally phase. Enemy SWs require no check, but the destruction of friendly SWs requires a morale check.

Helicopter LOS and Degrading Terrain

During play, an enterprising Somali half-squad with an RPG moved out into the street (clear, ground level terrain). Two squares diagonally northwest, the AH-6 helicopter was hovering over a Level 1 building (which I believe puts it at level 2). One square diagonally northwest from the firing Somali squad was a square containing degrading terrain (I can't remember which terrain, but it was degrading).

We ruled that the degrading terrain affected the OFT to-hit number (+1). Unfortunately I missed the to-hit roll by exactly 1. If we had not applied the degrading terrain modifier, I would have hit, and as anyone who has played the "Technical Difficulties" scenario knows, that helicopter is a killing machine for the US side and its loss would've significantly affected the odds for the Somalis.

Since we jointly ruled during the game that degrading terrain in this situation did affect it, I don't feel bitter about the roll, but I did want to clarify for future games since this situation is likely to come up again.

Helicopter LOS and Lower Level buildings

A few times during play, LOS questions about units in buildings firing on the AH-6 (and vice versa came up). We generally agreed that units in the upper storey of a building could fire on (and be fired upon) helicopters as if they were firing from a Level 2 height.

We further agreed that generally units on the lower level of 2 level building could not be seen if a level one building was between the helicopter and the Somali unit.

A general question is whether a helicopter over a road square (flying or hovering) is considered to be at Level (+)1 or Level 0 for LOS purposes. We figured it is at Level 1, and conducted all LOS based on this assumption. Is this assumption correct?

TEC on Ordinance fire

A number of times Somali units came under rocket fire from the AH-6. According to the OFT modifiers, terrain in the target hex affects the to-hit number (we think). Therefore, a helicopter firing at a unit/stack in rubble would get a +3 modifier to hit (correct?).

Do any further TEC effects apply to the HE equivalent roll - that is, if the rockets fire at HE equivalent of 4 and hits, is the FP of the roll reduced by any Defensive modifiers of the terrain?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Official answer from game designer Mark H. Walker at ComsimWorld:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@278.DKsPef88CUW.37@.ee6f...

Mark H. Walker wrote:
I hope this helps.

Quote:
Can a unit destroy a SW (enemy or friendly) at any point? We felt it was reasonable for that option to exist, but we couldn't find a rule relating to it. I can think of situations where a unit might wish to destroy an enemy SW (as above) or their own SW to prevent it from falling into the hands of the enemy.


Yes, in the Rally Phase.

Quote:
We ruled that the degrading terrain affected the OFT to-hit number (+1). Unfortunately I missed the to-hit roll by exactly 1. If we had not applied the degrading terrain modifier, I would have hit, and as anyone who has played the "Technical Difficulties" scenario knows, that helicopter is a killing machine for the US side and its loss would've significantly affected the odds for the Somalis.


Depends on the degrading terrain. Light Woods (I believe that is what it is called, I don’t have the game in front of me) would degrade the shot in this instance. Rubble, which is lower (Level 0, I believe) would not.

Quote:
A general question is whether a helicopter over a road square (flying or hovering) is considered to be at Level (+)1 or Level 0 for LOS purposes. We figured it is at Level 1, and conducted all LOS based on this assumption. Is this assumption correct?


That is correct. One level above existing terrain.

Quote:
A number of times Somali units came under rocket fire from the AH-6. According to the OFT modifiers, terrain in the target hex affects the to-hit number (we think). Therefore, a helicopter firing at a unit/stack in rubble would get a +3 modifier to hit (correct?).


That is correct.

Quote:
Do any further TEC effects apply to the HE equivalent roll - that is, if the rockets fire at HE equivalent of 4 and hits, is the FP of the roll reduced by any Defensive modifiers of the terrain?


No it isn’t. That is taken into account in the To-Hit die roll. The only modifier added to the FP roll is +1 if the unit is moving or marked with a Move/Assault Move marker. By the same token, when attempting to hit +1 is also added to the die roll if the unit is moving. Hence, infantry (for example) is more difficult for ordnance to hit when moving, but if the ordnance does score a hit, it does more damage. Make sense?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.