Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to send a game or two to my mother and her new husband for Christmas. They play Scrabble a few times a week, but nothing else. They enjoyed Settlers of Catan when I brought it last Christmas, but I'm not sure if something similar for two players would get much attention from them. They rarely have friends over, so two-player is a must. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Balloon Cup
Lost Cities
Hive
Can't Stop
Odin's Ravens
Blink

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Erik;

I know you're probably looking for something very different from Scrabble, but here's one of my favorite games that you might try for them:

Bananagrams

You could always suggest it to build some credibility about other games you might recommend being fun, too...

Good luck!

Russell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, you really only need one or two "make words out of letters" games, so I'm not sure I'd go with another word game. (And I say this as a fan of Scrabble and Boggle, but who has no interest in getting another similar game).

I'd try a light card game. Biblios is good if you can get it. If not, maybe Lost Cities or a myster rummy game (but mystery rummy has awful rules. My parents got one, and gave up, decided they couldn't figure out how it played).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe something like Qwirkle or Ingenious? These have some of the same feeling as Scrabble (albeit without words), especially two-player, when you have to be very careful not to leave too many good scoring opportunities for your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions, thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne plays well with two.

Blokus Duo is a great two player game. Simple to learn and a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
didaskalos wrote:
coolpapa wrote:
Maybe something like Qwirkle

I second Qwirkle.

Yay for Qwirkle. I just taught it to 2 non-gamers, and they loved it. A very cool game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burns
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werebear wrote:
Hi, Erik;

I know you're probably looking for something very different from Scrabble, but here's one of my favorite games that you might try for them:

Bananagrams

You could always suggest it to build some credibility about other games you might recommend being fun, too...

Good luck!

Russell

I second this. It's fast and you can use the tiles from Scrabble.

Basically turn them all face down, throw them in the middle of the table and everyone takes three tiles. Then everyone turns them face up at the same time. Whoever makes a word first calls out "Take one" and everyone takes another tile. You have to make your own crossword on the table, a veritable scrabble board without the board, continually adding to the puzzle with the letters you pick up. When the letters run out, the first one to finish their board wins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found Ingenious goes over well with a lot Scrabble players.

Not universal of course, but it's done good with most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Ta YĆ¼?

It has a grid board and thick tiles that should appeal to Scrabble players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing that you have to do is ask yourself if they would really like and play another game.

There are plenty of people who will only play one game (and Scrabble is often that one game). There is absolutley nothing wrong with that.

Did they like Settlers enough to ask to play it again at another time or was it a case of them saying they enjoyed it and then not giving it another thought?

If you honestly believe that they would enjoy a new game and it would get played, then go for it. If, though, the truth is that, no matter how much you like games, it would collect dust on the shelf, it would probably be better to try and get a different sort of gift, one that would be more to their liking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.