Aquarius» Forums » General

Subject: Variant to keep the play interesting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Armstead
United States
New Brighton
flag msg tools
While this is a pretty good game to play with non-gamers, it does tend to get a bit boring after a dozen plays (especially with only two players). My younger brother and I came up with an interesting variant to keep the game fun.

Deal out the hands as normal. Do not deal out the goal cards. Play then continues normally until each player has played six cards. After each player plays their sixth card, deal them a goal card. Play continues as normal until someone wins.

This variant forces all players to try to keep all elements (goals) as even as possible during the beginning of the game. You do not want to make one element far stronger (with more connections) than the others because you may not end up with that element when the goals are finally passed out. With two players and six cards each, most of the elements will have four or so connections. Meaning that with a couple good/lucky plays, the game could end in a turn or two. This also forces players to keep most of the action cards until the end of the game, as many are less useful or useless when you do not have goal cards. After the goal cards are passed out, the play becomes cutthroat. All the action cards come out and players scramble to block others and finish their own goals.

With more than two players, you may want to decrease the number of cards played before goals are handed out. Try to set it so that only about have of the required connections are made before the goals come out. I have tried ten cards with two players and my brother put three of the elements up to seven connections before the goal cards were handed out and won with a lucky draw.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.