Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Reimann
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

MY TWO BITS

So I’ve written a few reviews and I wanted to write another about one of my favorite games of all time that I’ll never play again. Now I, after reading the mission statement from board games with scott, decided I only want to write about games that I think that people should look into. Games that I don’t like I just won’t review and thusly they won’t get any "buzz" and they will eventually fall by the wayside. I love board gamming and I want more people to get involved. I think that if people continue to buy crappy board games then the industry will continue to produce them. One only need look as far as the video gaming industry and how when the consumer is more informed they buy good games and the crap starts to stop. So how does this bring me to Betrayal? I think that this is a great game. I think that many people will enjoy it and if more people bought it then maybe they would make more expansions for it or maybe a new edition that might look more like Arkham Horror.

GAME PLAY

Getting into the game it’s a very basic one. You could get up and playing it within a few mins. The basics are you have a character with some base stats that can fluctuate. Let them go too far down and your character dies. You take said character through a haunted mansion by entering new rooms which are drawn off a room stack as to make a modular board. This continues until a haunt starts and one of the players betrays the rest and becomes something evil and gets a secret mission that generally involves the death of the rest of the players. The remaining players are considered heroes and try to stop the betrayer. There are 50 different haunts in the game so you could play the game 50 times and each time the game will be "different". I’m not going to go into any more specifics as there are other reviews that go more in-depth. I’d like to spend more time on the actually review.

GAME REVEIW

So why will I never play a game again that I recommend to other people? I’ve played it too much and it has lost its appeal to me and my group. The only way I would play it again was if all the players I played with were new to the game. I say this because after going though the game a few times you’ll get to the point where you’ve read all the encounter cards several times and just want the haunt to start. I wonder if the developers though of the redundancy of the encounters if the game was actually played 50 times. I just can’t imagine it. In my group we basically all keep moving until one has to make a haunt roll and just resolve the encounters as by ourselves. Also after awhile you’ve played though many of the haunts that they either leave you feeling like you wanted more, disillusioned because the haunt was sort of stupid, or it was good but all too familiar. I’ve had some of my most memorable game nights playing this game and in wanting to relive that I’ve tried again and again to no avail.

The game flaws in that it doesn’t do enough to pull you into this haunted world. I say this even knowing that the game is nothing more than theme and is more of an experience than a game. If the monsters were tokens where the monster was pictured that would help. If the explorers looked better that would help too. I would like to see the lead in story be a bit longer. Etc.. The game is about the experience and as many players may not like to read a short story before playing the haunt I for one would. It would add much to the game and get me emotionally attached. Player bios for each of the characters for example would be a much appreciated improvement. Things could be done to get me more into to it and not feel like an outside observer. If a reprint or a remake did this then the game would be a solid ten.

The game shines in that it is a unique game that is more about playing along with the game then playing the game itself. You have to be in the right mind set or you aren’t going to enjoy the game. It is simple to learn and easy to play and is a great game for non-gamers and non-roleplayers. People who play role playing games may not like it because it’s too light and gamers may not for the same reason. In looking at the game it has all the components of a great game that just falls short of greatness. I highly recommend this game but with a word of caution; this is a fabulous game for gamers that enjoy a light role playing game that despite the 50 haunts, modular board, multiple characters with unique stats, and different items, all of which scream replay ability at the top of its lungs is only really playable 10-20 times at the most.

SCORE

Presentation (Theme, Quality of Parts, etc) 8/10
You get a lot of pretty bland chits and charaters that honestly look like could have been purchased through a supermarket vending machine (you know the ones that you put a quarter in and turn the handle). You get two different booklets, one for the survivors and one for the betrayer. The theme is strong I just wished they did a bit more to make me believe it.
Game Play (How fun it is to play) 2-10/10
What’s that I sliding scale? Yes that’s what it is the game started at a ten for me and is now down to a two.
Investment (Cost in Money and Time, time to fun ratio) 7/10
The game doesn’t take too much time and is a lot of fun but its start to be less and less fun.
Strategy (depth of game) 3/10
Move around the mansion until the haunt starts, do what is blatantly obvious to try and kill the heroes or kill the betrayer, and have lucky rolls.
Overall (not an average) 6-9/10
Again this game depends on who you are playing with, how much the other players get into it. It is also very much based on the haunt you may get as some are super fun and some just plain ol’ suckuth.
Poll
Would you enjoy the game more if the haunt had a quick short story?
Yes and it could be on the long side
Yes
Yes but only if it was very short
Maybe
No
      29 answers
Poll created by reimannj2000

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't the haunts already have a short story? I enjoy the haunt length as is. If they were longer, that wouldn't be such a bad thing so long as we weren't forced to read thorugh ALL of that just to understand the rules concerning that specific haunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I find that the paragraph at the start of each Haunt sets the theme perfectly -- set the stage, but don't spell it all out. I love the feeling that we are starring in the low-budget-B-horror-movie that is the game -- I've got an imagination, so if you get me started then I'll fill the rest in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reimannj2000 wrote:
I’ve had some of my most memorable game nights playing this game and in wanting to relive that I’ve tried again and again to no avail.
Ahh.. the age-old "can't recapture the magic of past sessions... so the game got worse" reaction.

Quote:
The game flaws in that it doesn’t do enough to pull you into this haunted world.
a) If the monsters were tokens where the monster was pictured that would help.
b) If the explorers looked better that would help too.
c) I would like to see the lead in story be a bit longer. Etc.. The game is about the experience and as many players may not like to read a short story before playing the haunt I for one would. It would add much to the game and get me emotionally attached.
d) Player bios for each of the characters for example would be a much appreciated improvement.

a) I believe some monster tokens do have pictures. Some tokens are barely large enough for the text to be seen across a table - how would you propose pictures be added? Would you want miniatures for each monster? The cost would be exorbitant, and you'd probably want them to be painted, or of better quality if they did.

b) See?

c) There is a small story that is required reading when each Haunt happens.
Obviously, they can't read a story before that time, since the game doesn't know which of the 50 Haunts is going to occur at the beginning.

d) There are player bios.
They're so neat, they lead to exactly what you're asking for, because they suggest the connections between the characters, why they are there and how they know each other.
If you haven't downloaded UniversalHead's excellent version of them, do so, play with them, and have each player read them aloud and say how they know the other characters. Start roleplaying from the get-go. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've no problem with living this game. One rule I always point out is that all event cards should be read with theme dripping… insta-translated into your mother tongue. People aren't exactly scared, but we're having a great time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reimann
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
a) I believe some monster tokens do have pictures. Some tokens are barely large enough for the text to be seen across a table - how would you propose pictures be added? Would you want miniatures for each monster? The cost would be exorbitant, and you'd probably want them to be painted, or of better quality if they did.

I'm simply saying that the tokens could be more a la Arkham Horror monster tokens. I fully understand that miniatures would be ludicrous. I'm simply saying that had this game been done by Games of Wonder of Fantasy Flights it would be better.

My point is that here is a game that has so much going for it that if it was just a little more polished than it would be that much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you check out the player bios, Jason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reimann
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No but I'm going to and I'm planning on printing them off and giving this game another go this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.