1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Amazon and Board Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Watkins
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have been a silent member of this community for a little while and have benefitted greatly from it (thanks everybody!)

I have recently noticed that a bunch of the top 20 games here dont even get a review in places like amazon.co.uk or amazon.com Let me cite Twilight Struggle as an example.

Now I am aware that amazon reviews are real drivers of sales, especially decent customer ones and any references to BGG within the review (subtle of course) can only help to support the site.

Can I therefore humbly suggest that people get out there and start posting amazon reviews? Or possibly even that incentive is given for doing so? You have the addded bonus that if you rate them and say you own them amazon might drop suggestions as to any newly released games (even if you actually buy them from your local games shop)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would bet that Amazon doesn't even touch the 'Geek for getting people to buy boardgames (other than possibly the "mass market" games).

I have never bought a boardgame based on an Amazon review. OTOH I have spent into the thousands on games I've read about on the Geek.

In fact, until I read your post, I don't think I ever went to Amazon and looked for a game like Twilight Struggle. And when I saw the price, I already knew where I could get it cheaper than Amazon, because I'm on the 'Geek and have learned where to buy games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Watkins
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Whilst that is true for the geeks among us, there are others who will appreciate and even use amazon to purchase the lighter games, knowing much less of the gaming scene.

I for one am really in favour of this because I use Birthday and Christmas wish lists all on amazon for everything, games to DVD's to books (more than one wish list is asking for trouble). People who buy the games for me might get sucked it by a good review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
omricon wrote:
Whilst that is true for the geeks among us, there are others who will appreciate and even use amazon to purchase the lighter games, knowing much less of the gaming scene.

I for one am really in favour of this because I use Birthday and Christmas wish lists all on amazon for everything, games to DVD's to books (more than one wish list is asking for trouble). People who buy the games for me might get sucked it by a good review

Couldn't agree with you more on your point. I am a regular Amazon shopper and often refer to the reviews. I will make an effort to begin doing brief reviews on Amazon for board games I own. Good suggestion and a potential way to entice potential new boardgamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or even just cross-post the reviews you're already writing here at BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sinclair
United States
Shawnee
KS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the power/wisdom of the masses effect could only increase the visibility of the games we all love here at the geek. good suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea. I definitely agree that Amazon is often a first stop to find out more about buying products you're not familiar with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ziegler
United States
Huntingdon Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have written several amazon.com reviews on a few boardgames. None of them could be considered as very serious gaming. However, obviously people do read them because of the votes that I received concerning some Axis & Allies material, Acquire and a few Milton Bradley traditional games.
It seems that the really serious reviews are on DVD movies. It is this area that is a battlefield!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I would ever go to amazon for board games is if I really want it and I always get 15 dollar gift codes for kraft by being in their community, so every now and then I order from there. I always prefer it for video games esp, and books of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a phenomenal idea and should be sticky posted.

Yehuda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've written a Dominion review in German.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! I'm on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good suggestion. For every person I know who uses BGG to research a purchase on Amazon, I know at least, at least 100 who do not. And that's just for boardgames. Add in books and the like, and it's more like 10000 to 1.

While this is a concentrated nexus of boardgamegeekery, so, so many people don't know BGG exists. I see other forum/chat groups discuss all sorts of parenting/living/purchasing topics and none of the members seem to know BGG exists. They ask for game recomendations after reading about them on Amazon. So, this is a very reasonable request. We really should get out there and populate the Amazon review library where games are concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. I did a cut-and-paste job on my collection comments for Through the Ages.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R18QB54K27COR2/ref=cm_cr_rdp_pe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found out about BGG indirectly because of Amazon. Back in the day (2001), all I knew about was Scrabble and stuff like that. I had been looking for other games on Amazon such as Wise and Otherwise. I think at one point in my browsing Amazon had one of those "Cutomers who liked this game recommend..." and showed Settlers of Catan. I had never heard of it, and when I googled it, the Funagain game store came up. It was there that I saw a list of their most popular games, and I had never heard of any of them. What is this Carcassonne, etc. etc??? How could I have never heard of any of these top 10 games?? I thought I was a real board gamer!!! Obviously I had a lot to learn and that lead me here, where I have attached myself like a benevolent parasite ever since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other benefits to posting reviews to Amazon to reach the general public:

Might increase board game sales for publishers, thus increasing their revenue

Which then provides the publishers with more working capital to invest in more games, larger print runs, take greater risks on games in development

If they get larger print runs, then there is better economies of scale and the effect may even be lower priced games

By any chance is my Supply Chain course that I have got the exam this Saturday being projected into this thread....hmmm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Haltom
United States
Portsmouth
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is an excellent idea as well. As far as people saying they never buy from amazon, I think you haven't really crawled around the site enough. If you hunt for stuff you like over the course of several days, and even check amazon frequently during that time, you'd be surprised what will turn up. My last purchase was through amazon...Panzer Grenadier: Road to Berlin. For 41 bucks shipped. That's a 75 dollar game I scored for cheap. Only thing was it was out of the shrink wrap. And the guy who had it knew what he had. He had quite a few wargames listed.

I think cross posting reviews is brilliant, and can only help improve our community as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wells
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea, I can't think of any good reason not to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Barchet
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nitromob wrote:
The only reason I would ever go to amazon for board games is if I really want it and I always get 15 dollar gift codes for kraft by being in their community, so every now and then I order from there. I always prefer it for video games esp, and books of course.

I use Amazon.com for a variety of purchases, but I find that their most useful feature is the Wish List. It allows people to know what I want, and things that people have already purchased for me. This is great for holiday shopping. While the Wish List used to only work for Amazon items, I have recently discovered the Amazon Universal Wish List. With it, you can link to other websites (i.e: GAME SITES), so that you can put what you really want for Christmas (i.e: GAMES) and your friends and loved ones can know what to get you and where to get it from. It also keeps track of whether someone has already purchased the item for you so that you don't end up getting multiple copies of a game. I'm sorry about the long winded rant, and if this is old news, I apologize again, but I had to share the info.

The link is at http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/universal/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
United States
Centennial
Colorado (CO)
flag msg tools
badge
New Avatar! So much Excite! Photo credit to Debbie Ohi, who is Awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a really great idea. I"m still figuring out where to go buy the games that I read about on here, and I still use Amazon to look up everything else, so I think posting BGG game reviews on Amazon is a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I think whether or not we buy at Amazon is not the true point. The real point is that many many many more people will be exposed to the games we so love by having reviews on Amazon. Hypothetically, if I were looking to purchace a game from Amazon, say Risk or one of its variants (people see them in Toys R Us, Target, Barnes & Nobles, etc) and there is a review that points them in the direction of some other better games, and they check those games and can read up on them, then Bam! we've hooked another causal gamer into our fold.
Now maybe we include a link to our BGG reviews in our Amazon reviews (if thats possible) so those people start coming here as well. Bam! then they see all kinds of great games they've never dreamed could be possible.
Now, as someone said before, more people reading these reviews, then coming here, means more revenue for our awesome publishers. More revenue for them means more and more games for us.

Even if you never plan to purchase a game from Amazon, its still an awesome idea to do reviews for them to bring attention to our beloved hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea. I use Amazon all the time (I've got a Prime membership even), and part of how I make my buying decisions when vetting different products is looking at what people have to say about said products. It's part of why we read reviews here at the geek: to help us decide if we should purchase a game before playing it.

I've added my meager 8 reviews to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A185NOE8BOKOT/re...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On Amazon.co.uk good board games are quite hard to find, so here is a big list of the ones I just spent some time finding:

Ticket to Ride Europe
Lord of the Rings Confrontation
Memoir '44
Memoir '44 Pacific
Memoir '44 Eastern Front
Last Night on Earth
War of the Ring
Pillars of the Earth
StarCraft
Arkham Horror
Doom
Carcassonne
Carcassonne Expansion Inns & Cathedrals
Citadels
Axis & Allies
A&A Battle of the Bulge
A&A Pacific
A&A Europe
A&A D-Day
Robo Ralley (not in stock)
Scotland Yard
Warcraft
Twilight Imperium
Risk Godstorm
Risk 2210AD
Settlers of Catan
Settlers of Catan Expansion
Settlers of Catan Card Game
Settlers of Catan Seafarers
Really Nasty Horse Racing Game
Zombies 2nd edition
Zombie Town
A Game of Thrones
Absolute Balderdash
Age of Empires III
Grass Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i had written some reviews for amazon, but ended up getting frustrated when i tried pushing my bgg shogun review to amazon and it kept getting rejected. i eventually gave up...but i totally agree with the OP.
This was the reason i was pushing my reviews up to amazon and always ensure i gave ratings there(even if slightly inflated...;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, an excellent idea! I will post a review of my games, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.