Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quickplay Training Instructions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Libby
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
In my English Class we're revising rules for a game of our choice and I chose Dominion.

The revision is designed to teach two inexperienced Dominion players the three basic principles of the game: flow, deck management, and end-game strategy.

Please feel free to let me know what you think. Questions, comments, criticism are all welcome.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Quickplay Instructions for Dominion

The following steps are designed to familiarize you with the basic rules for Dominion. This is an introductory rule set that doesn’t cover all the rules of the regular game.

You will need two players and approximately 15 minutes.

OBJECTIVE - Be the player with more Victory Cards when the game ends.

STEP ONE - Remove the following cards and place them, face-up, on the table in separate stacks:

 fourteen Copper cards
 eleven Estate cards
 five Silver cards
 five Woodcutter cards
 five Throne Room cards
 five Council Room cards
 five Smithy cards

STEP TWO - Give both players seven Copper cards and three Estate cards. This your personal draw pile.

STEP THREE - Each player shuffles the cards in their draw pile and draws five. These five cards are your hand. Do not reveal your hand to the other player.

Note any Victory cards in your hand. These cards can’t be played and have no value until the end of the game.

STEP FOUR - Choose a player to go first. This player follows the A B C steps:

Play an Action card from your hand (if you have one).
i. Follow the instructions on the action card.
ii. If an action card from step A says “+3” or “+4 cards,” draw that many cards.

Buy an Action card, a Victory card, or a Treasure card by discarding coins in your hand to your personal discard pile. Place the purchased card in your discard pile.
i. If an action card from step A says “+1 Buy” you may buy an additional card (if you can afford one).
ii. If an action card from step A says “+2 coins” you have two extra coins you may spend this turn.
iii. A card’s price is listed in the bottom-left corner of the card.

Clean-up your hand by discarding it and any cards you bought this round into your personal discard pile and draw a new hand of five cards.
(Shuffle your discard pile into your draw pile whenever your draw pile is empty.)

STEP FIVE - Now it is the other player’s turn to take Step Four. Continue alternating players until one of the following end-game conditions are met:
 All Estate cards are drawn, or
 Any three piles of Action cards are depleted

STEP SIX - Once an end-game condition is met players count up the victory cards in their deck. The player with the most Estate cards is the winner!

Now you’re ready to play a regular game of Dominion with up to three of your friends!
Be sure to read the regular instructions first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten Wolves wrote:

That's a nice and succinct rules explanation for the game, however the above should read "OBJECTIVE - Be the player with more Victory Points when the game ends."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Aquino
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Ten Wolves wrote:
In my English Class we're revising rules for a game of our choice...

I want to be in your english class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Ten Wolves wrote:

That's a nice and succinct rules explanation for the game, however the above should read "OBJECTIVE - Be the player with more Victory Points when the game ends."

Since the Estate is the only Victory card in play in this scenario, cards and points are equivalent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how much 'flow' is being taught without some of the other cards.

I hope you do well in the assignment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten Wolves wrote:

STEP FIVE - Now it is the other player’s turn to take Step Four. Continue alternating players until one of the following end-game conditions are met:
 All Estate cards are drawn, or

This one bothered me. If someone "drew" a hand of 5 Estate cards, it sounds from this as though the game is over. I think you want "the pile of Estate cards are depleted" or "bought" or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Glencross
Australia
Geelong
VIC
flag msg tools
Ten Wolves wrote:

Clean-up your hand by discarding it and any cards you bought this round into your personal discard pile and draw a new hand of five cards.

This should say "Clean-up your hand by discarding it and any cards you played this round into your personal discard pile and draw a new hand of five cards."

Since you have already discarded the cards you bought this round, as specified by your rules on buying.

I might have to try these rules when teaching new people, should cut down on time teaching and better help people to understand how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirkwb
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lortarg wrote:
Ten Wolves wrote:

This should say "Clean-up your hand by discarding it and any cards you played this round into your personal discard pile and draw a new hand of five cards."

Since you have already discarded the cards you bought this round, as specified by your rules on buying.

I might have to try these rules when teaching new people, should cut down on time teaching and better help people to understand how to play.

Great, Now you tell him 1 month later... After he failed the assignment because of this...
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Soares
Portugal
Galiza, S. Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shouldn't step one be corrected?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.