United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a year ago when I participated in my first BGG Secret Santa exchange, receiving Arkham Horror from my BGG Secret Santa. Last Wednesday, the game made it back onto the table at Bobby Tweak's Wednesday Night Spiel, and although it was not the game I received (which sits on an honored place on my gaming shelf at home) it was the spirit of the season that had me reflect on this session report.

KingPut had brought Battlestar Galactica to get on the table, but no one seemed to be of a mind to betray the other. A group had gathered for History of Rome in the war room, and four of us were uncertain of what game to play. Phil R. said he would be up for Arkham Horror, so we pulled it out. KingPut drew Mandy, I had the tommie gun gangster, Phil had the drifter, John had the debutante, and VuduJoie arrived in time to pick up Monteray Jack. We were up against Yig (you know, the old one that curses you in the final combat if you have not been cursed and devours you if you have, plus all lost in the warp folks are devoured at the end, if it comes to that point). Also, all cultists killed advance the doom track by one counter. Yig does not have many to begin with. Our goal was to close six gates the game was on.

With three sanity and seven health, the Gangster's role was clear: take out as many wandering monsters as possible. With that goal in mind, I took to the streets. Mandy seemed to attract clues like barflies: everywhere she went, she seemed to pick up two or three. The Debutante was a clue chaser as well, leaving the streets open for hunting.

Our saving grace as the game moved on was numbers and Elder Signs. We were able to secure three of them through encounters and sales in the Curiosity shop. As I took out two monsters and stumbled through a gate to no purpose (eventually being lost in time and space after going insane) my compatriots were able to get down to business quickly. Before the night was over (but only two doom counters short of an appearance of a Great Old One) we had sealed all of the gates and there was much rejoicing.

Each person at the table had played the game at least once, and the not having to explain the rules as we went helped game play along immensely. I look forward to getting this one on the table again. After all, tis the season!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report sir.

raolsson wrote:
plus all lost in the warp folks are devoured at the end, if it comes to that point).

Note that this occurs for ALL Ancient Ones, not just Yig. Yig, however, adds a doom token whenever someone is lost in time and space, increasing the chances that Yig will awaken and immediately kill them.

raolsson wrote:
Each person at the table had played the game at least once, and the not having to explain the rules as we went helped game play along immensely. I look forward to getting this one on the table again. After all, tis the season!

While it helps that they've all played before, I should note that Yig's games are refreshingly fast. Since you've won by sealing, I guess that any other AO except Hastur would have provided the same length game. But I hope you remembered to spawn two monsters with each opened gate, since at least five investigators were participating!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kungfro wrote:
raolsson wrote:
plus all lost in the warp folks are devoured at the end, if it comes to that point).

Note that this occurs for ALL Ancient Ones, not just Yig.

WHAT?! Where in the rules does it say this?! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narlgoth wrote:
kungfro wrote:
raolsson wrote:

Note that this occurs for ALL Ancient Ones, not just Yig.

WHAT?! Where in the rules does it say this?! goo

p. 22:

THE FINAL BATTLE
When the Ancient One awakens, any investigators that
are lost in time and space are immediately devoured
and eliminated from the game. The surviving investigators
must face the Ancient One in the final battle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It ended up being a well paced fun game. I think it was the first game I've ever played where I didn't fight a single monster but you and Monteray Jack did a great job clearing the way for Mandy "the clue magnet". I thought is was a great ending when we hit 8 or 9 on the doom track and the John (not Dan) the rich debutante bought the Ender sign and handed it me run through the final gate which ended up winning the game for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Olsson
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That will teach me to try to remember game details through the haze of Newcastle Brown Ale. :-)

I shall update at once!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Olsson
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, we had our monsters spawning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot the other classic moment in the game when Phil "Ashcan" Pete the drifter had given up his ally the dog to help him take a sanity hit. Then he was wondering in the woods with some food so he was able to find his dog again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingPut wrote:
I forgot the other classic moment in the game when Phil "Ashcan" Pete the drifter had given up his ally the dog to help him take a sanity hit.

You can't use Duke to mitigate sanity loss. You had to have already used him to restore your sanity to full (remember, it would be 4 at that point) before taking an encounter or entering combat with a monster.

Also, when you get Duke again, your sanity maximum may increase to 5, but you don't also gain a sanity; you have to heal back that point manually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
KingPut wrote:
I forgot the other classic moment in the game when Phil "Ashcan" Pete the drifter had given up his ally the dog to help him take a sanity hit.

You can't use Duke to mitigate sanity loss. You had to have already used him to restore your sanity to full (remember, it would be 4 at that point) before taking an encounter or entering combat with a monster.

Also, when you get Duke again, your sanity maximum may increase to 5, but you don't also gain a sanity; you have to heal back that point manually.

Your right Kungfro. We played it correctly but I couldn't even remember the dogs name let alone the exact way the card worked under the blur of Holiday beverages. But Ashcan was down to 1 sanity so he ditched the dog only to find him in the woods and luckily he had can of dog chow with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One we "sacrificed" Ryan Dean to abate the Stars Are Right rumor and found that after the ritual he had gone right back to the pub.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
One we "sacrificed" Ryan Dean to abate the Stars Are Right rumor and found that after the ritual he had gone right back to the pub.

That's great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.