Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Matthews
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can somebody explain the Healing properties of Holy Water? What does it mean in the parentheses that you can "Fully Heal if Keyword Holy"?

Also, what is the benefit of gaining the Keyword Holy with the Rosary? Are there additional benefits that the Cross and the Holy Water (each also having keyword Holy) do not grant?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melosh007 wrote:
Can somebody explain the Healing properties of Holy Water? What does it mean in the parentheses that you can "Fully Heal if Keyword Holy"?

Also, what is the benefit of gaining the Keyword Holy with the Rosary?

Well, without even opening my box, I can tell you that the Rosary gives you the keyword "Holy"... which in turn will let you use the Holy Water to heal back to full health.

It's pretty funny because the two concepts you don't get are actually the answer to one another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Matthews
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting interpretation, but I don't buy it.
The Holy Water itself bestows the Keyword Holy. Why would you need another item with the redundant Keyword Holy?
If you are correct, then the card should say "or fully heal any player with the Rosary" (the only other item that actually states "gain the Keyword Holy") otherwise, if the cross can also be used (the only item besides Holy Water and Rosary that has the Keyword Holy) simply by having the Keyword Holy, then the Holy Water itself should impart the Keyword Holy and simply using it on yourself grants full heal, while using it on a player without the Cross or Rosary simply heals 2 wounds.
I don't get why the Rosary specifically states "gain the Keyword Holy" and the other two Holy items do not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melosh007 wrote:
That's an interesting interpretation, but I don't buy it.
The Holy Water itself bestows the Keyword Holy. Why would you need another item with the redundant Keyword Holy?
(...)
I don't get why the Rosary specifically states "gain the Keyword Holy" and the other two Holy items do not.

Let's try it again then:
- The Holy Water has the Holy keyword. It doesn't give it.
- The Rosary, on the other hand, will grant the Holy keyword to your hero.
- So if your hero has the Holy keyword, then the Holy Water works extra well on him/her.

Melosh007 wrote:
If you are correct, then the card should say "or fully heal any player with the Rosary" (the only other item that actually states "gain the Keyword Holy") otherwise (...)

That would be a very bad idea from a design standpoint. When designing a game, you want to be as generic as possible, to allow for future expansions. I wouldn't be surprised if the next ATOE expansion included a new priest-like character, who would start off with the Holy keyword (Male * Holy)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Lonecleric, its to allow for expansions and for other items that may give you Holy such as relics or character traits, there is a similar combo in Last Night on Earth with the rosary and an event card called faith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Matthews
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the next ATOE expansion included a new priest-like character, who would start off with the Holy keyword (Male * Holy)...

According to you, that keyword wouldn't matter unless his character ability specifically states that the player "is granted the Keyword Holy". I think you are putting too much stock in the whole "granting/gaining" of Keywords. Otherwise none of the Keywords would have any effect unless cards specifically say (with text) "grant/gain Keyword (fill in the blank)". Your concept seems flawed. If items/cards have to specifically be "granted" Keywords (regardless of the fact that the card actually has the Keyword on it), then Mystery cards that remove guns or books from the game would have no effect unless those items were granted the Keyword Gun/Book. It doesn't make sense that a card with a Keyword on it only has the effect of the Keyword if that card states that it does with text.
I've never played LNOE, so I don't understand Flying Frog's nuances. But considering how well the rest of ATOE plays, I'm having a hard time imagining that they created the Full Heal power of the Holy Water and made it work with only one card (the rosary) in the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melosh007 wrote:
According to you, that keyword wouldn't matter unless his character ability specifically states that the player "is granted the Keyword Holy".

Absolutely not. You see, both items & heroes have keywords associated to them - the ones written straight on the cards. So the Rosary has "Holy" and Heinrich Cartwright has "Strange". Then some other cards can grant keywords to others, which is what the Rosary does in this case. (It makes your hero Holy.)

Melosh007 wrote:
I've never played LNOE, so I don't understand Flying Frog's nuances.

That's unfortunate, because that game uses several examples of the mechanic I just described, especially with the keywords "Holy" & "Strange" as applicable to characters.

Melosh007 wrote:
But considering how well the rest of ATOE plays, I'm having a hard time imagining that they created the Full Heal power of the Holy Water and made it work with only one card (the rosary) in the entire game.

Ah well, I tried. soblue Perhaps Jason will come down from the Heavens and give his two cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But its only working with one card at this stage and that is an important distinction. Flying Frog have suggested on other threads that these games are around with a long term support in mind including more expansions so while this may be only one card at this time that will change as Lonecleric said in his earlier post so patience will win out my friend soon you'll be holied up to the eyeballs for all sorts of advantages and detractions!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the confusion. Here is the breakdown of how it works (sorry if I am repeating what was already described above).

Both Heroes and Cards (such as Items) have Keywords that are associated with that particular Hero/Card. The Keywords are listed right below the picture box on a Card or below the portrait on a Hero.

These Keywords describe aspects of the particular Card or Hero that has them. They do not transfer to one another. For instance, if a Hero with Keyword 'Male' has an Item that is Keyword 'Gun', the Hero does NOT become Keyword 'Gun' and the Item does NOT become Keyword 'Male'. They remain separate.

Sometimes, however, a Card will note that it gives your a Hero a new Keyword. This is in addition to the Keywords that the Hero already has. For instance, the 'Family Bible' Card (found at the Manor) says that the Hero gains the Keyword 'Holy'. So while the Hero has the 'Family Bible' Item, the Hero has the Keyword 'Holy'. If the Hero loses the 'Family Bible' they also lose the Keyword 'Holy'.

Note that in this case the 'Family Bible' also has the Keyword 'Holy', so both the Item and the Hero individually have Keyword 'Holy'.

It is true that right now there are only a couple of cards that give a Hero Keyword 'Holy' so that you can use the Holy Water to Fully Heal. As you already guessed above, this will change as expansions are released.

- Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Matthews
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah-hah!Thanks Jason for clearing that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Matthews
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks LoneCleric. I realize this is what you stated in your last response, I missed the fact that the Hero placards have their own keywords, and that items can bestow additional Keywords to the Hero. I appreciate your persistent efforts in trying to persuade a stubborn, analytical ("That is illogical, Captain") gamer like me. You sir, were exaclty right, and I apologize for being a stubborn/reluctant jackass!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.