Hide
19 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: A World At War Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Legion Rempel
msg tools
I'm pretty new to war gaming, my only experience being Axis & Allies if that even makes the cut. I was looking at A World At War cause I wanted something the captures more than just the military aspect, but also the economic and political. However, as I read about it, many people have complained it's too complex or the rules change too often etc. I don't want to buy it and have it sit on my shelf, either because I can't figure it out, or find anyone to play with. So I was wondering if anyone had any opinions? Is it worth reading through 200 pages of manual? Do the games really take a year to complete?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation would be to try a wargame that is slightly less insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legion,

You may want to look at various civ type games rather than strictly focusing on wargames. For example, 7 Ages has military aspects as well as economic and political aspects, but, it is a different focus than your OP... just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan chapman
United States
Cambridge
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of the World at War.... It really alters the game of Axis and Allies, but if your very familar with the base game the additions are not hard to pick up on.

The rule manual is more like 30 pages and is broken down general rules and then rules that effect each country. Additionally it is easy to leave at sections of new rules and add them bit by bit.

I suggest you start the game in 1939 rules, Add France and China and netural country rules and maybe the special units for each country.

once you have figured that out add the submarine convoys for Germany and the imporved factories/ sratgic bombing rules.

Then a few games later add the new super powers rules as they are the most confusing.

And yes your games will be a lot longer, but oh so much better! Let me know if you have any questions. I am currently teaching a new player who has never played anything more complicated than Risk to play A World at War....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meng Tan
Australia
Bridgeman Downs
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang on, are we talking about The World at War (expansion to A&A) or A World at War (most recent version of Advanced Third Reich)? They're very different games in terms of complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Legion Rempel
msg tools
We're talking about A World At War the most recent version of Advanced Third Reich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legion6789 wrote:
We're talking about A World At War the most recent version of Advanced Third Reich.

Doh! Too funny, because I had in mind World at War: Eisenbach Gap when I first started reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meng Tan
Australia
Bridgeman Downs
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, GMT's AWAW is pretty much at one extreme of the spectrum of complexity in wargames, the other being beer-and-pretzel wargames like Axis & Allies. My advice would be to try something with a similar theme, since you seem to be interested in strategic WWII games, but more moderate complexity.

Perhaps Europe/Asia Engulfed, Eastfront II, Totaler Krieg! (out of print though, although TK!2 is is development and the files are freely available) may suit your fancy. World in Flames if you want to get a bit crazy. Or WW2: Barbarossa to Berlin, Shifting Sands or A Victory Lost for slightly smaller-scale games. If you're keen on PBEM or live internet play using VASSAL, I might be interested in learning some of these games together with you.

My copy of AWAW sits on the shelf and has never seen play. Many other gamers do get in either face-to-face play (I would guess with a fairly committed opponent) or play-by-email (there is a program called Warplanner that is a great help, now in version 2, but it's Windows-only).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you've read my comments in the review thread, so I won't repeat them here. I'll just add that it's not about more vs. less complexity. It's simply not a well-developed game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does not take a year to play. At the WBC, they typically finish 4 to 4.5 days with 6 players. If you are into it, you can download the rules and Warplanner and play it for free. Barbarossa can be played solitaire. In my opinion, Advanced 3rd Reich does all one needs from this scale of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
For those HERE about the "A&A" version for their: "next step UP!" then I'd suggest the following:
Fortress America or the others from that 'series'.
Europe at War and even some from theirs.
Europe at War for just the ETO
Europe Aflame
Check it OUT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan chapman
United States
Cambridge
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh sorry to ramble aboutthe wrong game... and I was so excited for my first post on BGG....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Legion Rempel
msg tools
I was just in the store looking at AWAW and started talking with a guy who's played a lot of these games, although not AWAW. He was saying Europe Engulfed in a lot less complex and a good stepping stone. This was fine, but then he said something which threw me off a little. He said in these games, you can't win the way you can in say Axis & Allies. For example, in Europe Engulfed, Germany can't turn things around and completely capture all of Europe and North Africa. Victory instead is losing by a lesser degree, or in his example not being completely pushed out of Russia. I thought these games would be more like a starting scenario which outlines parameters but from there, you're free to do as you wish, whereas he explained it as more historical simulation with a lot less leeway. Is this correct? And is A World At War also like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Choi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As games go up in complexity, I find there are additional rules to prevent extremely ahistorical things from happening.

A World at War is as complex as it gets when it comes to WWII Grand strategy.

Try playing it's predecessor AH Third Reich or A3R first. You'll get a feel for how the system works and won't have to sink $150 into it. i think old copies can be had for relatively cheap.

Personally I find the Avalanche Press version pretty good. It has all the diplomacy, economics and military aspects with medium complexity AND still allows enough freedom for some ahistorical results. You need the big map however...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arrigo Velicogna
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Legion6789 wrote:
I was just in the store looking at AWAW and started talking with a guy who's played a lot of these games, although not AWAW. He was saying Europe Engulfed in a lot less complex and a good stepping stone. This was fine, but then he said something which threw me off a little. He said in these games, you can't win the way you can in say Axis & Allies. For example, in Europe Engulfed, Germany can't turn things around and completely capture all of Europe and North Africa. Victory instead is losing by a lesser degree, or in his example not being completely pushed out of Russia. I thought these games would be more like a starting scenario which outlines parameters but from there, you're free to do as you wish, whereas he explained it as more historical simulation with a lot less leeway. Is this correct? And is A World At War also like this?

welcome in the real world devil ... an historical wargame has a lot of thing to do with history... Germany was bound to loose somewhere except if you don to incredibly well in russia, in battle of britain and in a lot of other place, but really weel and agaisnt incompetent opponent... otherwise you are doomed... you can do as you whis... but that doesn't grant automatic success to your wishes... you want to run into urals? fine but watch your supply lines and your flanks sooner or ltater they will collapse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Legion Rempel
msg tools
So I did not end up buying AWAW. Instead I got Europe Engulfed which I was told and upon looking into it, seems to be a good stepping stone into wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Choi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's a little story that will make you feel better about your purchase.

Two friends of mine decided to try out the Coral Sea battle learning scenario in A world at war. They are seasoned ASL players and long time wargamers.

In about 8 hours, they got about halfway through before they called it a day.

that's meaty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.