If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the median age here at BGG is approximately 35 years*, during the last 35 years what was the biggest collision of Religion and Politics?

*It was in the most recent demographic poll. Don't look at me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dubya and the whitehouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A religious vice-president candidate recently collided quite hardly against national American politics...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd say the rise (and possible fall; too soon to tell) of the Religious Right as a political force.

Dubya is a good choice but that's only eight years, and he's not even especially religious -- he ignored the vast majority of social issues he was ostensibly elected to change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno about any of these things, but why does the front page of RSP have to look like an average Tuesday on the FOX network?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
... and after the break, we'll discuss some recent news in the ... WAR ON VALUES!

Stay tuned for a special look at the ongoing ... WAR ON FAMILIES!

All this week, a series of reports on the current ... WAR ON DECENCY! WAR ON CHRISTMAS! WAR ON TRADITION! WAR ON CHILDREN! WAR ON RELIGION! WAR ON LIFE!

Finally, we'll give you a brief update on the nearly-complete pacification of the Middle East. Stay tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
... and after the break, we'll discuss some recent news in the ... WAR ON VALUES!

Stay tuned for a special look at the ongoing ... WAR ON FAMILIES!

All this week, a series of reports on the current ... WAR ON DECENCY! WAR ON CHRISTMAS! WAR ON TRADITION! WAR ON CHILDREN! WAR ON RELIGION! WAR ON LIFE!

Finally, we'll give you a brief update on the nearly-complete pacification of the Middle East. Stay tuned!

Pretty good, except you need a segment of Cavuto interviewing Hooters girls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
the answer to this question is easy:

9-11-01

I'd have picked that for sure. Some of us can't seem to let go of the "Bush" ax they've been grinding though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Islamic Fanatics attack on 9-11 vs. GW.Bush continually vetoing federal funding for Stem Cell research that could help upwards to 150 Million people.

Effective casualties of the former: 2,998
Effective casualties of the latter: Considerably more, much more.

But of course since the latter doesn't scare you as much as the terr'ists, you'll never see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Allowing Faith Based groups to receive Federal money. That or rewriting science in Texas text books to make creation myths into "science."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
War on Terror

That has to be the most retarded phrase ever created.

War on a "tactic"? What's next, War on Tanks? War on Paratroopers? War on Fire?

So even with your so called little "war on terror"..STILL less lives lost.

Not only that. You know who killed more people then all the casualties in Iraq, Afganistan, and every terrorist attack world wide in the last 8 years...last year alone. Burger King.

That's right, this is the guy you "should" be scared about, because he is the one that will probably kill YOU.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
MWChapel wrote:
... GW.Bush continually vetoing federal funding for Stem Cell research that could help upwards to 150 Million people.

I fail to see how the veto of federal funding for a specific type of medical research is of any historical or lasting value. If there is true potential in the specific type of stem cell research (not all types were denied federal funding) there is nothing in place to prevent any private company from conducting research. If this research could really benefit upwards of 150 million people, why isn't it being done? As the self-proclaimed King of the Internet, I'm surprised that you haven't used your considerable reach to begin a charitible or non-profit organization to conduct or fund such research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrackerJack wrote:

I fail to see how the veto of federal funding for a specific type of medical research is of any historical or lasting value.

You fail to see how federal funding of essential research has any lasting historical value? You do know we've been to the moon right?

Quote:
If there is true potential in the specific type of stem cell research (not all types were denied federal funding) there is nothing in place to prevent any private company from conducting research. If this research could really benefit upwards of 150 million people, why isn't it being done?

I wanted my tax dollars to go to that very thing. However, My voting elsewhere in the last two elections were not enough.

Quote:

As the self-proclaimed King of the Internet, I'm surprised that you haven't used your considerable reach to begin a charitible or non-profit organization to conduct or fund such research.

I did. Don't you remember my constant push to elect Obama? Everyone else does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Crom asked...

"What is the Riddle of the Stem Cell??"
And George Bush didn't know, so Crom LAUGHED him out of Valhalla.

He there he waits, in his mountain, waiting for the man to come who will answer the riddle of the Stem Cell....

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
C'mon Chapel, I know you're smarter than that.

Federal funding does not equal a solved problem anymore than a lack of federal funding eqauls an unsolved problem. You can easily create a laundry list of federal government efforts that have at best been wasted money and at worst counterproductive. "War on drugs" and "War on poverty" are two easy examples. Private money has solved as many, or more, problems as federal money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Islamic Fanatics attack on 9-11 vs. GW.Bush continually vetoing federal funding for Stem Cell research

Effective casualties of the former: 2,998
Effective casualties of the latter: Considerably more, much more.

Whew ... is that all? No biggie then. And, the little War on Terror that it touched off (around the globe) ... peanuts.

Thanks for setting us straight chap.

Moreover there is a global jihadist movement with wars stemming from violent takes on Islam in the Phillipines, Thailand, western China, Pakistan/Afghanistan, Iraq, Chechnya, here, across northwest Africa and of course having attacks or more sporadic fighting in the US, Spain, UK, Frances, Germany, Netherlands. etc, etc.

If this is a body-count issue, this one wins hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapel, if you're going to slam Bush about this, at least frame it in its proper political context.

Bush has banned/vetoed federal funding for research on new embryonic stem cell lines. But he is also the first president to approve federal funding for research on existing lines.

This was a compromise position: more funding than hardliners in his party wanted, less funding than his political opponents wanted. And he reached this decision after studying the issue and consulting with experts. He modified his original, rigid position based on advice from various quarters.

You might disagree with the decision (as I do), but it's hardly a "War on Science", since it's not a complete ban and it doesn't affect private money. And it hasn't affected the increasingly promising research on other (non-embryonic) types of stem cells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
MWChapel wrote:
Quote:
War on Terror

That's right, this is the guy you "should" be scared about, because he is the one that will probably kill YOU.

Cigarettes are being misrepresented here too! Saw figure of over 200,000 deaths per year (USA) due to smoking related diseases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrackerJack wrote:
You can easily create a laundry list of federal government efforts that have at best been wasted money and at worst counterproductive.

Yeah, like the War in Iraq. I think federal funding of stem cell research would have been money better spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

If we are taking body count, again, you would be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
whac3 wrote:

If we are taking body count, again, you would be wrong.

Only if you do convenient math. You forget that the US is only one country and even if accident and ill health could be compared to violence which you as well as any [being a veteran as I understand it] ought know as well as any they cannot properly be then the deaths by ill-fortune and malady in areas where doctors and medical workers are murdered in the name of jihad would make those of the US pale by comparison.

You accuse others of skewing things out of proportion but I think that that title goes to yourself in this regard, Chapel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

You accuse others of skewing things out of proportion but I think that that title goes to yourself in this regard, Chapel.

Ok, here you go. Give me the numbers you are thinking. I'll give you what I found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the Jihadists would happily abolish Burger King. And science, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
KrackerJack wrote:
C'mon Chapel, I know you're smarter than that.

Wow, I guess I was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.