Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Mercer
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be a good deep game that has a train theme? I am not talking Ticket to Ride or Transamerica, I want a good thick and meaty game. I have never played a 18XX game but the stock buying aspect does seem interesting. Since I am new to all this what would be your reccomendation for a beginner into the world of Choo-Choos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
If you want to move up from the train basics, try Age of Steam. Upon mastering that, move up to the meatiest with 18xx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the "crayon" games from Mayfair Games. Especially Iron Dragon, set in a fantasy universe. I think ID is out of print, but maybe there are some others still in print. I think they usually have titles like North American Rails, Eurorails, etc.

These are deeper than Ticket to Ride, but still light in comparison to the Rail Baron type games. You build your routes by drawing with crayon on a map and pick up/deliver goods between cities.

Iron Dragon added some interesting fantasy elements, but was a little tougher to learn as it wasn't based on a real map with real goods you would recognize. Knowing steel is available in Pittsburgh is easier to remember than that spells are available in Ozu-Zarkh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More to the point might be convincing your friends to play such a game, if they haven't yet played any. A big problem is that many of the best train games aren't currently available (Age of Steam, Railroad Tycoon, Chicago Express/Wabash Cannonball), but will be shortly (many by the end of January).

If you choose an 18XX, get a smaller one that plays "fast" (i.e. 18AL).

I've only played Steel Driver once. It was interesting, and I enjoyed it, but I will have to play it further before I can really recommend it (particularly over WC/CE).

Make sure you also check out Steam which is another Age of Steam "lite" like Railroad Tycoon. For a new player, these are probably ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Coolstuff has Iron Dragon in stock: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_searchResults.php?form_sear...

I can't comment on the quality, but it is available.

As for train games, I would really, really reccomend Wabash Cannonball/Chicago Express. It is fast, interesting, and fun, but most of all, meaty. I even taught it to my mom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Wabash Cannonball/Chicago Express is clearly the next step, imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1825 Unit 3 series is a good starting point if you are interested in 18xx titles.

Other than that you can try Chicago Express or Steel Driver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.