Popular Tags: [View All]
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that billiard balls are made from bakelite I figure that Hive's pieces should stand up to being used in a flicking game of sorts, right?

I don't currently have a variant worked out, but if you have some ideas please post them in this thread, while I'm off to try flicking some bugs to see what I can come up with myself.

It must be that I've had Sorry! Sliders on my mind lately, or the Spiel guys talking curling...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Qualey
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a smooth table top, you could create a shuffle-board game with the hive pieces - perhaps 2x the score for the bee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Pepsi4Me2 wrote:
On a smooth table top, you could create a shuffle-board game with the hive pieces - perhaps 2x the score for the bee.

Yeah, my daughter and I played Hive tonight, and upon finishing playing we sort of started flicking pieces at the board, knocking them out of the way, just as in shuffle-board. That's what got me thinking about it to begin with.

Perhaps start with flicking your Queen, then try to protect your Queen with your other pieces, while "attacking," i.e. getting close, your opponent's Queen.

Man, I need to rig myself a shuffle-board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys need to check out Taktika. Using that concept as a base game, how about some ideas?

Flick a unit into an enemy unit to attack it.

Per turn: Choose up to 2 creatures and move them (either bring them onto the field of play or move them if they're already out). Grasshoppers get 3 flicks, Queens 1, Spiders 2, Ants 1. Beetles are picked up and placed, but never attack, only block.

Attacks:

Grasshoppers: you must flick the Hopper, striking the enemy unit and sending it into any friendly unit, or striking a friendly, which then strikes the enemy unit.

Spiders: Contact the same enemy piece with 2 different spiders or the same spider twice in a turn to kill it.

Ants: Ants simply kill whatever enemy unit they touch when they are flicked, hence just 1 flick per turn.

Beetles: No Attack

Queen: Kills whatever it touches. Must contact enemy unit with the hex-side containing the queen's backside (stinger)

Victory:

Kill opponent's Queen or half of their units (rounded down)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am liking where this is going I think I will break out the Crokinole board tonight and give it a go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
You guys need to check out Taktika. Using that concept as a base game, how about some ideas?

Thanks for the game tip, and I enjoy your ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.